Metal music in your 20s

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Marq said:
Jazoni89 said:
Now at the age of 21, metal has disappeared completely out of my mind, and in retrospect i think metal was just a way for us younger minds to be edgy, and cool, and to rebel against mainstream music.
That's why you drifted away; You never loved it, and it never loved you.
I'm not sure any of that makes much sense.

OT: Can't stand the stuff myself.

Prefer my music either upbeat and with (legible) words, or chilled (Bon Iver, Bob Marley).

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
Metal music, in our teen years it was our bread and butter, but getting older me and countless others branched out to various genre's, and gone was the stigma of listening to various different music that plagued me in my teen years.

I used to be a huge metal fan when I was a teenager at college, i hanged out with the cool metal guys and we all shared our songs, but then time went by, and metal started to wear thin on me and i started branching out alot more to various genres, and music that i couldn't stand a few years back, i was listening to.

Now at the age of 21, metal has disappeared completely out of my mind, and in retrospect i think metal was just a way for us younger minds to be edgy, and cool, and to rebel against mainstream music.

So i've got a question for all you 20 somethings, has metal music weared thin as you go older, or are you still a die hard metaller for life, please tell me what you think.
I'm only starting to discover it.
I'm 21 too.

I always loved (and still love) trance. In fact, I produce it and I DJ. But lately, I start listening to a lot of different metal-ish punk-ish music. It's fun. It makes me happy. I like to change things up a bit, I'm very open-minded towards music; as long as it's creative, I'll like it.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Novs said:
Jazoni89 said:
in retrospect i think metal was just a way for us younger minds to be edgy, and cool, and to rebel against mainstream music.
If you listen to shit metal then yes it is like that.

I listen to metal its not about being edgy or rebellion, i listen to it because i love it, i dont even know why i love it, i just fucking do.

But i listen to other things aswell. But godamnit i hate it when i hear shit like "metal is for teenagers".

Sure slipknot,pantera, lamb of god is for teenagers, but i dont see in any way how a band like Cynic or Neurosis is for teenagers.
the, "i think" in the sentence has a huge meaning in what im saying.

I'm fed up of telling you people, every time you think i'm wrong and shit, I always have to type "ITS MY OPINION," and it is my opinion, disagree all you want with it, but never judge me.

Captain Ka-Boom

Apr 15, 2010
I'm sixteen, and the only metal bands I listen to is Maiden and Anvil... so...

What I love is old school rock, like The Stones, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppeline, Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple, Queen, Bowie, Iggy, Lou Reed and of course the all mighty Rush.

In my opinion, this is proper music. If you disagree, you've never even given these guys a real chance to stun you.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Can't tell, I'm only 16. But I do love metal and the hardest music I listen to is something like this:

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Novs said:
Jazoni89 said:
Novs said:
Jazoni89 said:
in retrospect i think metal was just a way for us younger minds to be edgy, and cool, and to rebel against mainstream music.
If you listen to shit metal then yes it is like that.

I listen to metal its not about being edgy or rebellion, i listen to it because i love it, i dont even know why i love it, i just fucking do.

But i listen to other things aswell. But godamnit i hate it when i hear shit like "metal is for teenagers".

Sure slipknot,pantera, lamb of god is for teenagers, but i dont see in any way how a band like Cynic or Neurosis is for teenagers.
the, "i think" in the sentence has a huge meaning in what im saying.

I'm fed up of telling you people, every time you think i'm wrong and shit, I always have to type "ITS MY OPINION," and it is my opinion, disagree all you want with it, but never judge me.
It still winds me up that you acctually think that metal is music for teens. Because its soo wrong...
If it winds you up that much, Get the fuck off the internet, because you seem to not be able to cope with other peoples opinions.

I'm Sorry, but their is some things that just have to be said.

Also you shot yourself in the foot big time for saying that music is for teens, when in fact you are one, so even if your dispute did hold water, its totally voided now.

So who else wants to try me?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
If you listen to it just to be cool and edgy, then you never really loved it in the first place. I like it by virtue of the musical technicality, the emotions put accross, the subject matter and the raw aggressiveness, as well as the atmosphere at gigs. If you don't appreciate it as music, and only listen to it to seem cool, it won't appreciate you, therefore people like the OP will fade away from it, is the most important thing I'm going to say.

Most posers (ie those who dont really like it but pretend to, or the people who think they love metal), will generally listen to generic stuff that's not really metal, in the same way Green Day isnt punk (that's not an attack on Green day, they just DONT qualify as punk). Older, more experimental metal or current metal that takes influence from older bands has alot more substance and is alot more "metal" than downtuning your guitar and making gutteral noises ever will.

In Flames, they're a death metal band, but they have melody and structure like the bands of old, which makes their music far superior than a generic death metal band, which sounds out of time and dissonant. To be Metal it needs to have a certain mindset or attitude behind it, the same as proper Blues was about slavery and black oppression, Rock was drug/booze/sex infused chaos or Punk was about the state of society and anger at the government. It doesn't matter how heavy and violent you make it, if you're not Metal, it wont sound anywhere near as good as someone who is Metal.

I know that sounds very elitist and such, but I mean it in the sense of your heart should be in it, the same as any music. You shouldn't be trying too hard to make things sound heavy, just for the sake of being heavy, Black Sabbath is and always will be heavier than stuff like Korn or stuff like Job for a Cowboy, or any other cookie cutter bands, because it was what came naturally, as opposed to trying SO HARD TO BE HEAVY!!11!

L8NEYET

Dec 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Same situation as you. I'm 23 and the only metal I can stand to listen to now is Killswitch Engage and Nightwish. I branched out to other things like Led Zeppelin, Enter Shikari, Pendulum, Cage the Elephant, Red Hot Chili Peppers (always listened to the RHCP though). It doesn't really matter what the genre is. If I like it, I'll listen to it.
As you mature you grow in and out of things. Being 30 and have seen over 100 shows, I could care less to see any band live, just for my ear sake. I have branched into almost every genre of music, except christian and gospel, but there is still a place in my heart for some of the bands I use to listen to. I still buy every Machine head album on day one and have noticed that some of the metal bands have slowed down and are taking it easier.

Jun 13, 2009
I've progressed to the level of actively performing it rather than simply listening to it, so I guess it's only grown on me more as time goes on. I listen to a lot of other genres, I like a lot of bands, but metal is always the most present music on my playlist and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I actually started to enjoy metal a lot more. But yeah I do like a lot of other stuff genres, like for instance I recently acquired a taste for a band called Warpaint [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMkqbY0oGKQ#t=0m14s], Who are pretty far from metal what most would described as metal.

Radynj

Sep 9, 2008
I've definitely mellowed out since hitting my 20s. I was big into metal now I've expanded into well you name it, anything but hip-hop and country.

I still have some metal but I'm more into hard-rock and alternative now.

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
I just turned 20, so maybe not particularly qualified to comment, but metal is still very much a large part of my life, although I'm slightly bored with it.

Not metal as a genre, but the cookie-cutter bands coming out, then fading away without really doing anything new or innovative. I only enjoy listening to a handful of metal bands any more, and am definitely seeing the merits in other genres. I LOVE the Bayonetta soundtrack, and Let's Dance Boys is my favourite workout song.

I've always liked other genres and bands (I love Kelly Clarkson, the first PCD album, etc), but they're starting to become as frequently listened to as metal.
I don't think metal's just a rebellion genre, I genuinely love it. I just think it has that stigma still and, as you become more mature, you realise there's no harm in liking other genres, screw what everyone else thinks, and no one but you gives a damn about your so-called metalhead "reputation".

Tastes change, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it ws just a passing phase.

Oct 30, 2010
I've been listening to more and more metal as I go through my 20s.

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
I'm 20 now, and I still listen to metal on occasion. Mostly Rammstein.

I dunno, though. Yesterday at work I listened to "Ich Tu Dir Weh" by Rammstein, "In the Morning" by Razorlight, "The American Way" by Sacred Reich, "Take it Easy" by the Eagles, "Pjanoo" by Eric Prydz, "Dunkin Hills Coffee" by Dethklok, and "Slipping" by Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog. All that was in order, all within one hour.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
The reverse for me, actually. It was only comparatively recently that I developed a taste for metal and rock. It basically happened because I started learning guitar, which exposed me to music I'd never really paid attention to before then, and I found that I loved it.

I listened to techno of all things in my teen years. It's an odd transition.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
I'm like you, I was into metal from about 14 to 20, but the last couple of years(22 now, btw) my taste in music has shifted to trance(which I'm actually listening to right now), which for me is much happier music, much more fitting to where I am in life at the moment. I'm not as angry as I used to be, nowadays.

I'm not going to say me listening to trance will last forever, I thought that way about metal, but look at where I am now. I'm really enjoying it though, and hopefully will for a long time.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
eh, I've always had only a modest interest in metal, if you can even call it that. It hasn't really diminshed as I've gotten older, but it sure hasn't grown any, and it looks smaller in comparison to all my other musical tastes which have grown.

csbears

Feb 28, 2010
When I was a wee lad my family raised me on a healthy dose of Foreigner, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Bad Company, Metallica, Zepp, and all of the other good shit. Now that I am twenty years old and I look in retrospect how I have matured, my taste in music hasn't really changed -- but it has broadened into a wider variety. I would like to say that although I need my daily fix to be metal thrashing mad, I look at myself as a connoisseur of good music. Metal is, and always will be, a indelible part of who I am as a person and the uncountable hurdles life has thrown at me, which I've long since overcome. Why listen to metal? it's the part of my nerdy being that compels me to fight, to resist, and it empowers me to stand for what I believe in. I saw a "behind the scenes" video of a paraplegic man at a Disturbed concert who had been lifted up onto the stage, with his arms raised proudly, as David stood beside him and told the crowd that this was what it was all about...giving somebody the strength to be more than their body allows.

With the vast majority of people listening to shitty "music", I think of myself as a part of a dying breed, and as such I don't find it very likely that I will ever really give up metal music. If it sounds good to my ears it's going on a list I keep on my computer or on my youtube channel. The silly notion that metal as a genera is for kids, labeling everything, disputing what is and isn't metal, and all that other bullcrap is just hilarious to me...why do people put so much weight on other peoples _opinions_ so damn often? If you can't agree on something, then agree to disagree and don't rock the boat, because let's face it, you're probably not going to change each others minds by butting heads. I've seen all those sorts of things plastered all over metal videos on youtube and it never gets anybody anywhere. *cough cough* Back to music...I usually mute the in-game music and play something kick-ass in the background to reflect how awesome I am in game, or how awesome I should be, which usually makes me a better gamer...good example? Brutal Legend's awesomesauce soundtrack! Rock'n Roll (and metal by association) will never die!

Funny coincidence, when I finished typing this up I remembered that I'm wearing a sleeveless Metallica shirt with a white undershirt...cool beans! xD

hewhocommunes

Jul 30, 2010
I continue to love my metal, but I do see that over the years I've branches into several other genres as well. oh and I'm 21 going on 22 this year so I think I fit directly into your subject group.