Metallica releases a new song.....and its not that bad.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015

If the rest of their new album is like this than mabye I am gonna have a decent time.

A bit off topic but how is it that James Hetfield sings ok when he records but in live concerts he sounds like shit heck Metallica in general sounds like shit when they play live?

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Ehh, it's passable but I haven't liked anything Metallica's released since the black album so I'll probably give it a miss. In terms of thrash Vektor's pretty much reigning supreme these days, at least for me.

That said, I do like how James' vocals have that sort of old school Dave Mustaine snarl to them here, quite enjoyable really.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
GIMME FUE GIMME FAI GIMME DABAJABAZA.

Song is average at best. Metallica hasn't put out anything good since ...And Justice For All.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
They still own that thrash style, and I like it here too. Thanks for bringing it up.

As for your live question: I don't know what they sound like now, but that S&M concert is still every bit amazing to me, and I liked them playing live before that too.

Also, am I the only one 'here' that has enjoyed all their different styles on all their albums?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Listened to it a while ago. Didn't give me much hope at all. It's not even bad; just pretty bland overall.

The most memorable part of the song for me is Hetfield's lyrics. And not in a good sense.

Bands can definitely be very different in regards to playing in the studio vs. playing live. Some bands just aren't suited to live performances but absolutely kill it in the studio (and vice versa). Metallica's just fucking old at this point so I don't expect them to put a whole lot of energy into their live act. That said, I'm sure they can still at least get the job done most of the time.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
GIMME FUE GIMME FAI GIMME DABAJABAZA.

Song is average at best. Metallica hasn't put out anything good since ...And Justice For All.
My absolute favorite album by the band, I just need a version that improves the bass.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
It's not bad, certainly better than St. Anger.
But I'm too busy these days to get into a new album, so I'll just stick to Master of Puppets and Load.

Samtemdo8 said:
A bit off topic but how is it that James Hetfield sings ok when he records but in live concerts he sounds like shit heck Metallica in general sounds like shit when they play live?
I don't think they sound shit live at all.
Saw a show last august, and I was pretty pleased with the performance.

Cheesy Goodness

Aug 24, 2009
This sounds like St. Anger and Death Magnetic had a baby. In other words, this is a short, uninspired song that does little for me. Metallica hasn't produced anything in years that I've truly liked.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I liked the song better when it was called "All Nightmare Long" from their last album

It also sounds like No Remorse but without any of the good bits. It's alright, but it doesn't sound like they're trying. it's like they used the first riff they thought of and didn't expand on it at all and said fuck it it's good enough

And the drumming sucked

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Sorry, but I won't be listening to a song from Metallica. They decided to attack the fans. They can wallow in whatever misery they've created for themselves. The only news about them I want to hear is about them calling it quits.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Antari said:
Sorry, but I won't be listening to a song from Metallica. They decided to attack the fans. They can wallow in whatever misery they've created for themselves. The only news about them I want to hear is about them calling it quits.
When and how?
I've not heard about this, unless you are refering to that whole Napster thing.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
fenrizz said:
Antari said:
When and how?
I've not heard about this, unless you are referring to that whole Napster thing.
Yes, it's in reference to them letting the lawyer's off the leash during the whole Napster fiasco. There is no possible point of return for them in my eyes. Kinda like Electronic Arts.

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
I really liked St. Anger as a single and then I bought the album and was so disappointed.
Edit: heard the song.... it was boring. Just boring.

And just so everybody hates me even more: I kinda liked Lulu.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
fenrizz said:
Antari said:
When and how?

Which was Piracy straight up. I don't know why people defend the use of Napster.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Cheesy Goodness said:
This sounds like St. Anger and Death Magnetic had a baby. In other words, this is a short, uninspired song that does little for me. Metallica hasn't produced anything in years that I've truly liked.
Dude I have listend to St. Anger.

This is nothing like it.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
fenrizz said:
Antari said:
When and how?

Which was Piracy straight up. I don't know why people defend the use of Napster.
I'm not defending the use of Napster. But, I think its pretty sickening to see a band that already has millions and is making millions try to drag thousands out of single parent families because their kid downloaded a few songs. They could have handled things a hell of a lot better. And many bands since then have handled it better than Metallica did. I will never have any respect for them because of that.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Sleepy Sol said:
DrownedAmmet said:
And the drumming sucked
Par for the course when it comes to Metallica. At least Lars is consistent, eh?
I have listened to many, MANY, Metal songs from various drummers, and I still don't see why people treat Lars as this God Awful drummer?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Sleepy Sol said:
DrownedAmmet said:
And the drumming sucked
I have listened to many, MANY, Metal songs from various drummers, and I still don't see why people treat Lars as this God Awful drummer?
It's not that he's bad, he's good at what he does but he's not a fantastic drummer. He's just overrated.

Also he's kind of a shitbag.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Sleepy Sol said:
DrownedAmmet said:
And the drumming sucked
It's not that he's bad, he's good at what he does but he's not a fantastic drummer. He's just overrated.

Also he's kind of a shitbag.
Of course he's a shitbag, almost all Thrash Metal heads are ;)