"Metro 2033" In the sights of SniperWolf427

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
The dark ones are explained in more detail in the book. And the reason why it's so hard to get a clear picture of things in the game is because it's hard to get a clear picture in the book. Everyone Artyom meets in the book have a different view of what is happening and why.

**** Huuuuge spoiler if you haven't read the book or played through the entire game. Do not read if you want to play the game or read the book****

The Dark ones are never really fully explained in the book (or at least not to my recollection). But they do explain the intentions of the Dark ones. Just before Artyom blows up the dark ones (which is one of two possible endings in the game) in the book he receives a vision from the dark ones where they explain what they've been trying to do. They never wanted to fight the humans, they tried to contact us, but whenever they approached any humans they were gunned down without any questions. After a while the dark ones simply gave up and made the decision that the violent humans had to be putted down. No humans seemed to understand them, until they found Artyom which gave them new hope for peace. But Artyom couldn't get a clear picture of what they were saying until the missiles had been launched and it was already too late. Artyom could only watch as the dark ones blow up moments after he had realized that they could have helped the humans rebuild their civilization.

The second ending in the game let's you "correct" the "mistake" in the book-version and you will be allowed to stop the rangers from killing all dark ones. I'm pretty sure this ending is not available for everyone though. I think it's only available for players who has tried to approach the dark ones in the visions and has done good deeds (like giving ammo to the poor, refusing rewards, saving people etc).

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I just stumbled on this review and might I just say I found it very well done. Without going into specifics, as that would take too long, it was overall extremely well written, informative, and occasionally humorous. Hell, it even opened up with a thoughtful statement about human nature. It had everything.

This game sounds great and I can't wait to play it, though unfortunately I must. Due to an inconveniently-timed family vacation I will be away from my computer for the next week. I considered getting it for the 360, but after some research I decided I'd rather wait to play the higher quality PC version when I get back. So I will wait.

Incidentally, I've been trying to get my hands on the book to read over my vacation, but I can't find it anywhere, except for used copies which are ridiculously high priced. I don't suppose anyone could help me out?

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
I just stumbled on this review and might I just say I found it very well done. Without going into specifics, as that would take too long, it was overall extremely well written, informative, and occasionally humorous. Hell, it even opened up with a thoughtful statement about human nature. It had everything.

This game sounds great and I can't wait to play it, though unfortunately I must. Due to an inconveniently-timed family vacation I will be away from my computer for the next week. I considered getting it for the 360, but after some research I decided I'd rather wait to play the higher quality PC version when I get back. So I will wait.

Incidentally, I've been trying to get my hands on the book to read over my vacation, but I can't find it anywhere, except for used copies which are ridiculously high priced. I don't suppose anyone could help me out?
Thanks for the feedback mate, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Meganmeave (about two posts above yours) said she has a copy of the book on order. You could always ask her.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
Great job on the review. I absolutely love this game like no other. I'm not a fan of being scared and whatnot, and there are a lot of flaws like too many of the same voices/faces. A lot of people don't seem to understand why killing thins is so hard, but I mean you're using dirty bullets, with home made guns. plus it adds to the scary atmosphere. And this game has such an amazing atmosphere, I was hooked right away. I'm looking for the book, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on a Metro 2034, which is supposedly an indirect sequel involving a different character. I think I read that it was Miller, but I don't think the book has been translated into English yet.

I wouldn't say librarians are slightly more difficult, as I was sending arrow and arrow into their heads, heart pounding as they chased me around the library. I thought I was only going to have to fight one, but oh no, one after the other. I was looking for ammo, and constantly had to charge my flashlight as the place freaked me out.

On The Dark Ones-
Artyom is said to be immune to The Dark Ones, but it's my belief that his mind is strong enough to hear them, and not have his mind accidentally(?) destroyed by them. As you can hear in the beginning, they don't actually kill anyone, they just mess with their mind.

You can hear The Dark Ones talking about the peace Artyom can bring to the world, by convincing the Dark Ones aren't a threat. I'm guessing The Dark Ones are some mutated being that can't speak, and in turn can communicate through telepathy. This is why they need Artyom. There are TWO endings to the game. One ends with you using the designator to destroy the place where they come from, or you can stop it by pressing the button after you shoot The Dark One at the broadcasting tower, or you can just shoot the designator off the building.

I have heard from people who have read the book that they left out a lot of the book, and stories of Artyom's travel. I wish we could've stayed in Polis longer. He spends so much time going there, only to be there for a few min. in game. But from what I have heard he spends days or weeks there. I also believe that they said they left out part of the ending/changed it, for the worse.

Sorry, for the length, I just really love this game, haha.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
TylerC said:
Great job on the review. I absolutely love this game like no other. I'm not a fan of being scared and whatnot, and there are a lot of flaws like too many of the same voices/faces. A lot of people don't seem to understand why killing thins is so hard, but I mean you're using dirty bullets, with home made guns. plus it adds to the scary atmosphere. And this game has such an amazing atmosphere, I was hooked right away. I'm looking for the book, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on a Metro 2034, which is supposedly an indirect sequel involving a different character. I think I read that it was Miller, but I don't think the book has been translated into English yet.

I wouldn't say librarians are slightly more difficult, as I was sending arrow and arrow into their heads, heart pounding as they chased me around the library. I thought I was only going to have to fight one, but oh no, one after the other. I was looking for ammo, and constantly had to charge my flashlight as the place freaked me out.

On The Dark Ones-
Artyom is said to be immune to The Dark Ones, but it's my belief that his mind is strong enough to hear them, and not have his mind accidentally(?) destroyed by them. As you can hear in the beginning, they don't actually kill anyone, they just mess with their mind.

You can hear The Dark Ones talking about the peace Artyom can bring to the world, by convincing the Dark Ones aren't a threat. I'm guessing The Dark Ones are some mutated being that can't speak, and in turn can communicate through telepathy. This is why they need Artyom. There are TWO endings to the game. One ends with you using the designator to destroy the place where they come from, or you can stop it by pressing the button after you shoot The Dark One at the broadcasting tower, or you can just shoot the designator off the building.

I have heard from people who have read the book that they left out a lot of the book, and stories of Artyom's travel. I wish we could've stayed in Polis longer. He spends so much time going there, only to be there for a few min. in game. But from what I have heard he spends days or weeks there. I also believe that they said they left out part of the ending/changed it, for the worse.

Sorry, for the length, I just really love this game, haha.
Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

As for the game, I was playing Bioshock 2 the other day, and it made me re-look at Metro 2033 even more charitably than before. I enjoyed Bioshock 2's story much more, but the game just wasn't nearly as much fun. It's funny how playing a game that should have been awesome but was only decent, really makes you think about all the games that you should have appreciated more.

Metro 2033 is just a good game. Plain and simple. Well, except for the amoebas. I want to punch the guy who thought that would have been a good idea.