Metro 2033 (was) free on steam for 24 hours

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
As the headline says, Metro 2033 is available free of charge for 24 hours. I don't know when it started, so I don't know for how long this post will be relevant, but for now it's up for grabs. I thought it might be appreciated.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/43110/Metro_2033/

Not that it is relevant, but I found this out via a post on 9gag; judging by the most upvoted comments the offer has been live for at least 2 hours.

https://9gag.com/gag/a9KMNA0

EDIT: And the offer has expired. If the title interested you, I hope you managed to get yourself a copy.

Although now it seems the game itself cannot be found on Steam. The Redux-version is there, but not the original title. Odd.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Fuck me, that's what I get for procrastinating! Someone beats me to this before I finished my own. And posting threads about free games is supposed to be my shtick too. I'm sad and angry. Sangry. Ooooooooooooh, this can only mean one thing!
]
Except that I'm an ape, and you presumably are made of pixels.

Anyway, what the yellow sprite said.

Apr 5, 2008
We still love you Chimpzy. Also, since Futurama is the best show ever created, you get bonus love.

Just a shame I already own it. Thanks for the post Bed.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Funnily enough I was thinking "Oh, I better share this info... unless Chimpzy already did so, he usually makes those posts." before checking to see if anyone else had made such a post. I have even said that I appreciate your freebie posts in one your previous threads, so I hope your response above was in jest.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Bedinsis said:
so I hope your response above was in jest.
Yes. Yes it was. Or wasn't it? No. Yes. Maybe. But definitely yes. Unless it was no, however unlikely.

Now in all seriousness, while I do keep a lookout for this stuff, I don't expect to find everything there is to find, nor to be the first one to notice. Someone beating me to the punch is fair game.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Thanks. I'm never one to turn down a free game (I've even grabbed a few I know I will never touch), and I've heard good things about the Metro franchise.

Quick question for those more in the know about it though: I do see a "recommend against" on my friends list. Is there anything I should know about the 2033 installment? Do I need to temper my expectations, throw in mods to fix any wonky mechanics or oversized texture maps, or anything like that?

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
How to play Metro 2033.
-Connect your PC to the TV.
-Turn off the lights.
-Put it on Ranger hardcore.
-Go to options to turn off any form of help, including the laser sight.
-Change the spoken language to russian.
-Change the subtitles to russian too.
-Get vodka & a beat up metal cup.
-Open a window (if it's not cold outside, put your feet in an ice bucket)
-Start the game.

Apr 5, 2008
Asita said:
Thanks. I'm never one to turn down a free game (I've even grabbed a few I know I will never touch), and I've heard good things about the Metro franchise.

Quick question for those more in the know about it though: I do see a "recommend against" on my friends list. Is there anything I should know about the 2033 installment? Do I need to temper my expectations, throw in mods to fix any wonky mechanics or oversized texture maps, or anything like that?
Not really. It's a good game, in the same vein as STALKER. Your bullets have value, the setting is obviously the Metro system post-apocalypse and the gunplay is cool. I don't remember specifics about the story, except that it takes a turn in the last act that adds quite some mystery.

It's not a pure shooter, like Doom or Serious Sam. Ammo isn't infinite, weapons can be modded and there are stealth elements too. The game ran perfectly when I played it years back, on more recent hardware it should run like clockwork.