Metro: Last Light is $0.01 on Best Buy's Website Right Now

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
For us Escapists in the US, Best Buy, whether intentionally or through some glitch, is offering Metro: Last Light for one cent right now. Go grab it.

http://goo.gl/mysjN
(Link is totally legit)

Note to mods: If this is somehow against the rules, lock the thread and message me. Figured I'd just spread this deal around.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
I just linked this to some others actually. Interested to see if it's actual legit and such.

Also just a note, you can still purchase this outside of the US. I just managed to.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
NightHawk21 said:
Two Questions:

1) Did it work for you?

2) Does it come with steam keys?
To answer your questions:
1) I have gotten my receipt, and Best Buy is currently processing the order.
2) Yes, it is a Steam code. It's taking people a little while to get theirs, but they're coming.

TheSaw

Apr 22, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
Two Questions:

1) Did it work for you?

2) Does it come with steam keys?
From comments on the this page http://kotaku.com/right-now-you-can-buy-metro-last-light-for-one-penny-750398956 (Where I found out about it in the first place)

People are saying they're waiting up to 30 minutes to get it, but they are getting it.

"Check your e-mails. It took about 13 minutes for my key to show up. You then have to use that key on nvidia's website to get a Steam key. (I believe it's one per household)"

This is how it is working by the looks of it.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
As much as I'm for the consumer and love discounts and deals, I know this is an error and you know 4A games is going to have to eat the cost of this.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
If it helps for people here, Best Buy is aware of the issue and they have said it's an error.

I can't imagine they'll charge people or take it away if you grab it but I figured I'd throw that in there if anyone was wondering...

EDIT: Guess I was wrong as TheSaw is reporting that they are canceling all orders done this way.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
Got my order processed and waiting on my metro last light.

Really really liked the first one and been waiting to get this one for cheap. Wasn't expecting to get it for this cheap XD

TheSaw

Apr 22, 2011
Apparently all orders are being cancelled.

"All orders are being canceled, as it was an error. I apologize for any inconvenience!" - Bestbuy facebook page.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
They've taken down the $.01 version and replaced it back with the $50 code. Apparently it was a error with people who bought some nvidia card.

My order is still being processed, dunno if I'll get my key yet or not.

TheSaw

Apr 22, 2011
Just adding another thing.

Some people are saying they are revoking the steam game from people who used keys they got from this mistake.

Not sure if they can do that, or if what people are saying is true.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bought it, then they cancelled it. Freaking Best Buy, they should just let those who bought it keep it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And it's already sold out.

Ange1ofD4rkness

Jan 14, 2009
Yeah I think Best Buy retracted all the offers for it. Everyone who bought it for 1 cent lost out.

I bought mine, and it took them around 140 mins to send me an email saying it was canceled ... not run out, but canceled. The exact reason was:

"[...]has been canceled because we were unable to verify your information"

Just like Target who messed up the price on the Mass Effect 2 Collectors Edition on their website. Then when they sent out the game to everyone, everyone got the standard edition, despite the fact the site still said Collectors. Long story short, a whole bunch of us never got the Collectors of the game.

Guess I now have a grudge against Best Buy as well. I know it was only $0.01, but it's how this was handled

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
While I never expected this to work as I figured it was to good to be true, I think that it's only fair that the people who got their codes before Best Buy noticed their error should have them cancelled. I don't know how they can do that, (Valve would probably have to get involved), or if its even legal but it's only fair. Thousands of people placed their orders and got confirmation emails, yet only a few hundred actually got the game. It should be all or none... Alright... I'll admit... I'm just grumpy I didn't get it :(

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Sincere question for anyone here who bought the code: how is this any different than piracy?

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
llafnwod said:
Sincere question for anyone here who bought the code: how is this any different than piracy?
Morally, its not really any different... legally on the other hand its perfectly fine. I would have no quarrel with taking money away from best-buy personally, but I wouldn't want to leech away from Deep Silver, 4a games, or nvidia.

Still, its not like people hacked Best Buy to display that price... Its sorta like that Monopoly Community Chest: "Bank Error in your favour." You are just benefiting from the mistakes of others, not necessarily stealing.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
llafnwod said:
I was just thinking this.
How is paying $0.01 for a full price game any different from downright stealing it?

Not to jump on the high horse or anything. I just think it's a little bit shitty.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
clippen05 said:
Morally, its not really any different... legally on the other hand its perfectly fine. I would have no quarrel with taking money away from best-buy personally, but I wouldn't want to leech away from Deep Silver, 4a games, or nvidia.

Still, its not like people hacked Best Buy to display that price... Its sorta like that Monopoly Community Chest: "Bank Error in your favour." You are just benefiting from the mistakes of others, not necessarily stealing.
Your first paragraph is sound, your second is not. This wasn't a bad business decision; it was an obvious error. If you see someone drop his wallet and you go and take the wallet, you're stealing.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
llafnwod said:
It was a mistake on best buy's side so they will likely have to compensate the publisher somehow meaning the actual makers of the game might get some money out of it. Not to mention the biggest part being that....well a sale happened, they willingly changed the price, it may have been an accident, but it's not like they were forced to do this by an outside force.

llafnwod said:
This wasn't a bad business decision; it was an obvious error. If you see someone drop his wallet and you go and take the wallet, you're stealing.
Your analogy is flawed, a transaction cannot be compared to someone losing their wallet. If you go into a store and see an item that's normally 10$ being labeled as 1$ and you take it up to the counter and the merchant than sells it to you for 1$, but then realized it was a mistake 3 hours later, it doesn't make it stealing.

The fact that these online transactions are automated means that business need to be more careful with what they do, because consumers will always look for the lowest price and jump on what they see as amazing deals.