Metro: Last Light is $0.01 on Best Buy's Website Right Now

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Ange1ofD4rkness said:
Guess I now have a grudge against Best Buy as well. I know it was only $0.01, but it's how this was handled
What would you prefer them to have done? Refunded the 1 cent, or do you think they should have given everyone the game for essentially free?

EDIT:

EightGaugeHippo said:
llafnwod said:
Sincere question for anyone here who bought the code: how is this any different than piracy?
I was just thinking this.
How is paying $0.01 for a full price game any different from downright stealing it?

Not to jump on the high horse or anything. I just think it's a little bit shitty.
Because you're essentially benefiting from a shop mistake, not stealing.
If you're in a shop and they put a cheaper barcode on something, it's different to you stealing the item.
Or, to use a gaming analogy, it's the difference between using 'noobtube/one man army' and using an aimbot. One's legit albeit unsporting, the other is actual cheating.

That said, I do think the shop has every right to correct the mistake, and if you don't end up benefiting you can't really complain - what a mistake giveth, a correction can take away!

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Coach Morrison said:
It was a mistake on best buy's side so they will likely have to compensate the publisher somehow meaning the actual makers of the game might get some money out of it.
So the percentages on who's not getting paid change. I like it: sort of an evil, mirror-universe Humble Bundle.
Coach Morrison said:
Not to mention the biggest part being that....well a sale happened, they willingly changed the price, it may have been an accident, but it's not like they were forced to do this by an outside force.
llafnwod said:
This wasn't a bad business decision; it was an obvious error. If you see someone drop his wallet and you go and take the wallet, you're stealing.

SecondSince

Apr 22, 2011
If you can logically assume the pricing is wrong they are within their rights to cancel the whole thing. Including orders already placed and/or processed. It's in the law.

And come on, anyone is smart enough to realize that $0.01 for a game is nonsense. So stop whining and use your brain. ^^

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
llafnwod said:
Coach Morrison said:
It was a mistake on best buy's side so they will likely have to compensate the publisher somehow meaning the actual makers of the game might get some money out of it.
So the percentages on who's not getting paid change. I like it: sort of an evil, mirror-universe Humble Bundle.
Coach Morrison said:
Not to mention the biggest part being that....well a sale happened, they willingly changed the price, it may have been an accident, but it's not like they were forced to do this by an outside force.
llafnwod said:
This wasn't a bad business decision; it was an obvious error. If you see someone drop his wallet and you go and take the wallet, you're stealing.
Edited my post to respond to that second part seeing as I didn't see your second post until I was done writing it.

It isn't stealing because they accepted my money for their product, since everything is computerized on their side they need to watch their step more closely. I'm happy that I got this for practically free and according the capitalism I'm doing everything a consumer should be doing

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
llafnwod said:
Sincere question for anyone here who bought the code: how is this any different than piracy?
Coach Morrison said:
It isn't stealing because they accepted my money for their product, since everything is computerized on their side they need to watch their step more closely. I'm happy that I got this for practically free and according the capitalism I'm doing everything a consumer should be doing
The difference between this and piracy, then, is that this practice is, by your standards, in accordance with the ill-defined rules, but not the spirit, of an amoral (a-, not anti-) economic system. Thanks! You've answered my question.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
fwe motnhs ago metro 2033 went for free via THQ facebook page (the only time i used facebook in entire year), now this, looks like they are doing this sharing thing very seriuosly.

llafnwod said:
its legal.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
SecondSince said:
If you can logically assume the pricing is wrong they are within their rights to cancel the whole thing. Including orders already placed and/or processed. It's in the law.

And come on, anyone is smart enough to realize that $0.01 for a game is nonsense. So stop whining and use your brain. ^^
I knew when I worked retail, if it was a lower price in the computer we had to honor it.

Why can't BB do the same?