Metro: Last Light Review - A New Dawn

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Metro: Last Light Review - A New Dawn

Take another trip to post-apocalyptic Moscow, and don't forget your gasmask.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I am pleased to hear that it is good. Hopefully I'll be able to find time to pick up my pre-order tomorrow. "Sigh" I'm not going to say that people are wrong to complain about the pre-order DLC, but it just feels wrong that so many people are not going to buy the game and the developer could suffer financially over something that apparently got carried over by THQ's decision and really doesn't feel too big compared so some of the other things that, say, EA does.

Couldn't people just buy the game but not buy the DLC? That would still send a message. It wouldn't be as loud of a message but...God the world really isn't fair sometimes.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
I think it's great that this game has made so much progress considering how buggy the last game was, at least when I played it.

However, I have to call this game out on the pre-order shenanigans.
Seriously, what the hell?!

No way in hell I am paying 5 bucks for Hardcore mode.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Aptspire said:
"Find a plot summary online" What about the novel it's based on?
If you can't be bothered to play the 8-hour game, I'm not going to assume you're willing to read the entire novel that it's based on, that's all ;)

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
MikeWehner said:
Aptspire said:
If you can't be bothered to play the 8-hour game, I'm not going to assume you're willing to read the entire novel that it's based on, that's all ;)
On the topic of length, how long was the campaign of Last Light?

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Well, this convinced me to buy the game. I was going to put it off until it was cheaper but I want to support these developers as they are probably our only hope at getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 at this point.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
This is nothing against the review or the article itself, but having found no other forum to post this in, I must say:

The web code used for the Galleries in any article is complete crap. On multiple web browsers, the picture appears full-sized and runs off the right margin, with other content in front of it. Clicking on the picture presents it in a window that reduces the size, and doesn't even allow one to scroll through other pictures in the gallery, meaning that a viewer must open up each and every picture individually.

Again, nothing against you Mike (great article BTW :)), but perhaps you can pass on to the web team at The Escapist that they should use some gallery code that's less than half a decade old, especially after the much-touted recent revamp of the site.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Well, this convinced me to buy the game. I was going to put it off until it was cheaper but I want to support these developers as they are probably our only hope at getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 at this point.
That was going to be my question, actually - are these games at all like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games? I'd love to have a new game with that same vibe, and would gladly get the first one if it is.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
the December King said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
That was going to be my question, actually - are these games at all like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games? I'd love to have a new game with that same vibe, and would gladly get the first one if it is.
The post-Apocalypse in Russia setting is the only similarity this game has to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I am afraid. It is completely linear in term of levels and you only get the opportunity to get new gear maybe four times and there are about ten guns.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
The post-Apocalypse in Russia setting is the only similarity this game has to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I am afraid. It is completely linear in term of levels and you only get the opportunity to get new gear maybe four times and there are about ten guns.
Awww, nuts- that's too bad. I might still try this, but I really liked the sandboxy freedom that S.T.A.L.K.E.R gave us.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
the December King said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Awww, nuts- that's too bad. I might still try this, but I really liked the sandboxy freedom that S.T.A.L.K.E.R gave us.
If it's any consolation, 4A is made up of a handful of folks who left before Shadow of Chernobyl was released. Though it isn't sandboxy, it's the current king of that distinctly Eastern European post-apocalyptic survival feel.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
the December King said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Yeah while the gameplay might be different Metro 2033 comes about as close in atmosphere to STALKER as anyone has any right to hope for. You're already interested but here's another wee nudge. Play Metro! It has its issues but is a damned fine game. That recommendation always comes with the addendum that you will know rage near the end when you hear of amoebas. Shoot the spawners.

Oct 2, 2012
Looks pretty amazing. I might pick this up once I get some scratch.

Should I pick up the previous installment as well or just read a quick plot summary?

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Aptspire said:
It's my understanding that is isn't. It's true that there's a sequel to the Metro 2033 book, with the excessively imaginative name Metro 2034, but Last Light isn't based on that in the same way as the first in the series was.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
CyberAkuma said:
I think it's great that this game has made so much progress considering how buggy the last game was, at least when I played it.

Dont care. Will rent it. PLay it. An send it back. The hardcore mode isnt an issue. Its an issue for people who doesn't buy new. I play it because i like the story, like the last game, i like the story.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
CyberAkuma said:

This x 9001! Seriously, what the hell is up with that..!?

I'm a huge Metro fan, and I've been waiting for this for quite some time now, but I too will not stand for this bullshit! I do not encourage pirating at ALL, but it's like Joe in the video said, it's things like this that will get a lot of people to pirate it. Personally I'm not going to play this at all, I think it's absolutely appalling what they're pulling off here

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Never really played the first one so I can't see myself jumping into the second along with the creator slagging on the U so not really going to dive into this anytime soon.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
To bad I have to wait till friday, bloody European release dates always 3 days behind USA's release date =w=