Metro Redux Coming to Next-Gen Consoles, Deep Silver Confirms

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Metro Redux Coming to Next-Gen Consoles, Deep Silver Confirms

Deep Silver says Metro Redux is real, and it will be more than just a re-release of old shooters for new consoles.

Word of something called Metro Redux started making the rounds yesterday after a pair of images appeared on an Italian gaming forum promising enhanced versions of Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light, as well a soundtrack, art cards, limited edition packaging and a day-one DLC token. Today, publisher Deep Silver made it official - sort of.

"Metro Redux. You may have heard of it... even though you probably shouldn't have!" it said in a message posted on Enter the Metro. "We could issue a 'We do not comment on rumor and speculation' statement and pretend this never happened. They're pretty boring to read. They're also pretty boring to write. So we're going to comment on rumor and speculation instead. Is Metro Redux real? Yes."

The message also states, however, that the leaked images come from an old planning presentation and contain "a lot of hypothetical ideas and placeholder material," including art from the original Russian Metro 2033 novel as the box cover and a logo that simply uses "Redux" in place of "2033." And while it's great that Deep Silver isn't playing the "no comment" game - and I'll just take a moment here to state that I really dig how Deep Silver does business - it's not quite ready to say anything more about it.

[gallery=2280]

"We think the reality is a lot more exciting than the out-dated material that got leaked shows, and we're itching to share it with you," the message states. "Just not yet."

A full and proper Metro Redux announcement will be made sometime prior to E3.

Source: Enter the Metro [http://enterthemetro.com/us/news/community_news/a_short_letter_to_the_metro_fans_past_present_and_future_us/]

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Is this a generally enhanced version, or "PC quality" on next gen consoles?

I missed out on the Metro buzz last gen, didn't have a PC that could run it, and wasn't willing to jump in with Last Light on the PS3 without playing 2033.

I'd definitely give this a shot on PC if it's coming out for it, otherwise I'll get the original games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
Is this a generally enhanced version, or "PC quality" on next gen consoles?

I missed out on the Metro buzz last gen, didn't have a PC that could run it, and wasn't willing to jump in with Last Light on the PS3 without playing 2033.

I'd definitely give this a shot on PC if it's coming out for it, otherwise I'll get the original games.
My money's on "PC Ultra quality" for consoles, maybe running at 1080p and maybe running at 60 fps. I could be wrong though, but it's fun to speculate.

EDIT: Yup, it's a VERY wild guess, but if everyone are betting on med/high specs, 720p (if ultra) and 30 fps, I could already achieve that with a shitty Pentium D and a GeForce 9600GT, so... this will be pretty much the trial by fire for consoles if they want to be taken seriously compared to what a shitty PC could achieve in 2010.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
My money's on "PC Ultra quality" for consoles, maybe running at 1080p and maybe running at 60 fps. I could be wrong though, but it's fun to speculate.
Roll up, roll up!

Guess the quality of the 'next gen port'!

Choose between medium, high and ultra for textures, 720 or 1080 resolution and finally what FPS it will be aiming for!

Prizes for those that can guess all three correctly!

In all seriousness this will be an important test for consoles, the Metro series has gained a reputation as a rig burner.

Scentedwiind

Nov 13, 2009
That outdated material had best be the DLC token... seriously, it would be intensely shitty of them to put out some kind of GOTY edition with DLC not attached directly to the game.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
It's good to see a developer actually responding to a rumor quickly, instead of letting it hype people up for weeks before denying it.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
The Metro games are insanely demanding, so I don't expect the PS4 or Xbone to be able to achieve more than PC medium settings while running 1080p and 60 FPS. The PS4 could probably do PC high settings at 30 FPS 1080p resolution, with the Xbone likely dropping the resolution to 1600x900. Ultra is pretty much out of the question unless they are going for a target framerate of 30 FPS and are only going to render at 1280x720.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
I very much doubt the PS4 will be able to run 2033 at Ultra and maintain a good FPS, Last Light even less so and the Xbone can forget it.

However, 1080p at mid-high settings (with tesselation and PhysX on low or off) sounds reasonable. If the particle effects and shadows are left high it will still look utterly gorgeous compared to anything on any console right now, a huge part of Metro's good looks are it's use of lighting and shadow to a degree that no other game comes close too.

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Charcharo said:
Meh, I will win :D

PS4:
30 fps
AF 16X
1080P
Med/High settings
PhysX Off
Tesselation : medium

Xbox One:
900P
30 fps
AF 16x
med/high
PhysX off
tesselation: medium

600 dollar PC :p
1080P
45+ fps
Ultra Settings
PhysX ON
Tesselation Ultra
AF 16x
I'll try to remember, if you had quoted me there would be a note but for now I'll bookmark this thread.

Also: Ohhh, going for 900 on the Xbone? That's the one thing that's been tripping most people.

Do I have any takers for 720? Or how about 4A pulling a Respawn and going 792? Your guess is as good as mine folks!

Ed130 The Vanguard

Sep 10, 2008
Mcoffey said:
Firstly: That is a terrible name and I hope they go with something better.

Secondly: I would love it if they found a more lenient way of measuring morality. I could not have killed more than ten guys in Metro: Last Light but I still got the "bad" ending.
The Last Light 'morality meter' isn't as arbitrary as other games where if you get over X kills you are considered 'evil.'

You can get 'good' points by simply listening to conversations and exploring your surroundings.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I think we need to stop referring to the Xbox One and PS4 as the "next gen" because, let's face it, they're out now. The Xbox One and the PS4 are the new current generation. I'm at the point now where I have to get a visual on the box art to know which generation people are talking about because everyone uses it differently.

Either way, I smell an oncoming trend of many, many devs/publishers releasing these "redux" like packages in order to re-sell games that are only a couple of years old. I'll reserve judgement on whether or not its a good thing.