Metro Redux, Darksiders, and Saints Row Go DRM Free at GOG

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Metro Redux, Darksiders, and Saints Row Go DRM Free at GOG

GOG.com further expands library with five big titles from Deep Silver and Nordic Games.

Folks who prefer their games without intrusive copy protection schemes have a few more major titles to enjoy just the way they like. Starting today, GOG.com is offering Metro: Redux, Saints Row 2, Saints Row The Third, and the two Darksiders games completely free of DRM. The newly available versions will be offered at an introductory discount until May 18.

The five games were all once properties of the now defunct mega-publisher THQ, which filed for bankruptcy in December of 2012 and began liquidating all of its assets [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122393-THQ-Auctions-Off-Remaining-IPs] over the following few months. Deep Silver parent company Koch Media snatched up publishing rights to Metro: Redux (releasing it in May of 2013) and Saints Row developer Volition. Deep Silver has gone on to publish two additional Saints Row titles in the time since, Saints Row IV and its standalone expansion, Gat Out Of Hell

Darksiders was picked up by Nordic Games, but its developer, Vigil Games, would not survive the bankruptcy of THQ. No plans have been announced for additional entries in the series, though Nordic has expressed that it intends to release an enhanced port of Darksiders II for PlayStation 4 consoles later this year.

Source: GOG [http://www.gog.com/news/major_releases_unchained_from_drm]

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
May 18? Guess I could buy Darksiders to pass the time away for a single day and then move onto Witcher when it come out the very next day. Seems like they could have done this earlier so more people would buy the games but I guess they can always leaving the game lying around till they get bored of Witcher.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Dalek Caan said:
May 18? Guess I could buy Darksiders to pass the time away for a single day and then move onto Witcher when it come out the very next day. Seems like they could have done this earlier so more people would buy the games but I guess they can always leaving the game lying around till they get bored of Witcher.
Well, not everyone cares so much about Witcher. I got Metro: Redux, which I'll play sometime after I finish Arcanum (also bought on GoG).

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
If they got Metro 2033 Redux was well as First Light, I'd buy them both. Guess I'll just have to wait for it

I have Saints Row games but nice to see DRM-free versions.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
You missed the most important part.
GOG said:
Complete with the GOG.com treatment to greatly improve performance on modern PCs.
They fucking fixed Saints Row 2! I hope they tweaked the driving, too.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Major_Tom said:
You missed the most important part.
GOG said:
Complete with the GOG.com treatment to greatly improve performance on modern PCs.
Yeah, that alone prompted me to open my wallet.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Major_Tom said:
Major_Tom said:
I take that back, they fixed nothing. Still runs like crap.
You can't fix something that's inherently flawed.

Which Saints Row 2 was. The sucker relied on a specific CPU speed to run at a standard framerate. Even after modding the hell out of it, I still could get the Steam version to run correctly.

To fix it, I think they'd have to rewrite the engine. Which is stupid.

Codey

Sep 9, 2009
Re-bought Darksiders series and Saints Row series on GOG.com, because I love DRM-free games and often play them at a much later time than everybody else. Still holding out on Metro Last Light, because my computer is probably not up to snuff for that title and I probably get a sweeter discount down the line.
I now regret buying DLC for Darksiders II on Steam, since I haven't actually gotten around to playing the game yet. :-(

I really didn't expect these games to come to GOG.com, at least not this soon.

At the same time, that weekend was also the full return of Nordic Games to GOG.com.