Metroid: Other M Has Samus-Stalling Bug

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Metroid: Other M Has Samus-Stalling Bug

For at least the second time in the Wii's lifetime, a key Nintendo franchise has a game-breaking bug.

The majority of gamers seem to be getting a positive experience out of the latest Metroid title for the Nintendo Wii, Metroid: Other M [http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Other-M-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC4ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284916469&sr=8-1] released on August 31. However, a segment may be filled with rage after reaching a certain point plagued by a game-breaking bug.

The eastern part of Other M's sector 3 contains a door that may be red/locked, a bug detailed in an IGN walkthrough. If Samus swings across the sector's deadly pool of lava with her grappling beam and encounters this locked door, she'll be stuck.

Nintendo is aware of the bug and offers no solution other than a reload or a restart. The company may reportedly release a fix through a firmware release, but hasn't made it known what it plans to do about the issue. Exactly what makes the bug appear is also unknown.

This isn't the first time a game-ending bug has been found in a game starring one of Nintendo's key players, with a found years ago [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000FQBPCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284916478&sr=8-1]. The good part about the Twilight Princess bug is that players at least discovered what caused it - saving in a particular spot at a particular time - though it was only fixed in later disc releases and not through a patch. The Metroid: Other M bug is mysterious occurrence that may not be widespread, but seems to be frustrating people nonetheless.

Source: IGN [http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1121498p1.html]

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
ahhhh...bugs so wonderful...i remember one time i was playing COD4:MW single player (yes some of us do that) and there was this part where we had to push forward and then when we got close enough LT Vasquez was supposed to open a door so we can continue instead his dumbass just stood there looking around...i went searching through the stage for like ten minute wondering if i missed killing some important person...
bugs gotta love'em...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Second title on the Wii that has game breaking bugs?

Hah, I can think of many Wii games that have crashes/hangs or progression breakers. :/

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
At the very least, one may take comfort in that the point at which that bug occurs does not take particularly long to reach should a restart be necessary.

Apr 28, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
The problem with a Wii game having these faults is that there is no real online structure in place that that of the 360, the PS3 and the PC. In terms of on-line functionality the Wii belongs to a different era and such bugs are much more of an issue.
Which is why Nintendo games are usually bug-free. And when a bug or two does slip past, its magnified 10x

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
So, don't go there and problem solved?

Seems simple enough to me. Also Nintendo probably missed something obvious in code.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
soilent said:
Nintendo was later quoted, "Problem Gamers?"
This sentence could stand to be explained more.

Anyways if its a simple matter of reloading the game then I see no problem with this bug.

Also ScrumpMonkey this is a Nintendo IP being made by Team Ninja, not themselves. So that's probably one reason why there's a bug in it.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Nice to know once im FINALLY able to get the game.
ill haft to keep an eye out for it.

And aside from a few Glitches in games like Tatsunoko VS Capcom or Naruto:Clash of Ninja Rev 3, there has been only one game iv played on a Nintendo system that game me a a Game breaking Glitch.

SNK VS Capcom:Card Fighters DS had a strange Glitch that after you beat the game and started climbing the tower, at a certain floor if you tried to battle someone the game would just freeze.
Music would be playing and all but noting could be done.
Even if you closed the DS it wouldn't go into sleep mode.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The thing about the LoZ bug is that you have to save in a very unnatural spot. It was in a short segment that has no natural pause and it seems more logical to save just before or after. If this bug can just pop up during regular game play then that means very bad things. Hopefully they'll catch it and future disks will not have the problem.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Uhg...thats what nintendo gets for making the WII so cheaply wonky waggle motion sensing and the inability to update a frakk'in game.... not to mention they support SD cards and not USB flash drives?

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Zer_ said:
Second title on the Wii that has game breaking bugs?

Hah, I can think of many Wii games that have crashes/hangs or progression breakers. :/
Don't leave us hanging. Lay it on us.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks for the heads up.
I actually was caught by that bug in Twilight Princess back when it first came out. I had to restart the entire game because of it which stinks because it occurs at a spot very later in the game. I don't want to have to restart the Other M now.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I still wonder how shit like this flies past the Q&A department.

Did no-one catch the bug in testing? Not one person encountered a game-breaking bug that makes the game impossible to finish?

TEST. YOUR. GAMES.

Bugs of this nature should never get through the retail product. Ever.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
And thats when you need to point fingers are the QA team who must have been off having pizza at one point