Metroid Prime Producer Expected Negative Reaction to Federation Force

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
Dude hunters may have had glaring flaws and a campaign about as long as the ones in CoD but it had one thing this game defenately lacks. Personality. every hunter was cool, every character in that game was... YOU GUESSED IT! a character! not a caricature of some dudes from the federation. How hard was it to make actual metroid prime hunters 2 where you have to play a different hunter than samus. Hell play as some of the hunters from metroid prime 3, i know a ton of people who would buy a game just cause they can play as rundas. But no, nitendo shot them selves in the foot with this game and then repeatedly did it 3 more times by taking hunters and making it WORSE.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I've never been much of a Metroid fan, but I feel they could've done this a lot better.

If they absolute had to do some co-op multiplayer dingledoo, maybe push it alongside a proper Metroid title.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
They're not even talking about me, not for a decade now. I'm part of the fanbase that had been discarded long ago, but still a great fan of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. It's been a long time since we had quality games like those from the big N.

Sadly, Nintendo has shown they're not in that art department anymore, now mainly just going for a very casual approach with everything they do, so this didn't surprise me at all. I mean, just look at the trailer. Fugly little robot things doing the exact same bland co-op shooter bit many other developers have done before and better, played along with an orchestral piece with hardly any melody at all.

Nintendo does absolutely nothing to WOW us anymore. Everything we see from them now is very predictable. Though I'm not the audience they give a shit about anymore, their ideas are far too bland for even just passing the time. I always wanted to see a Metroid game on the same level of power as A Space Odyssey or Awaken, but they've lost it awhile ago.

Why the hell should I trust you Nintendo when you can't even do the most basic things right!? If you knew it would disappoint fans then you should've tried to make it special (or use some sense and pick a different name). There is just no excuse for this shit.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Well at least they finally told us that the Wii U is going to miss Metroid.

Only hope for the next 3 years is a 2D one. Considering its been a decade since one of those, I'm not going to hold my breath.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Lizzy Finnegan said:
At E3, Tanube told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx] that the next proper Metroid Prime title would "likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," as it would "likely take three years or so" to create one for Wii U.
I would've bought a Wii-U for a tried and true Metroid Prime sequel. Looks like that's 1 Wii-U that's staying on the store shelf.

As Microsoft is as oblivious to the wants of Japanese gamers, seems like Nintendo as the same attitude towards the west. Today's kids won't reflect on Mario and such the way (90's) kids do today, they're gonna be replaced by the likes of Minecraft and *throws up* Angry Birds.
Not that kids should be playing M rated games, but still.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
If they had just called it Galactic Federation Force, and shown the same footage people wouldn't have given it much of a reaction.

If they had done that, and at the end of the trailer shown something/someone from Metroid as a teaser, or otherwise had the fact that it was in the Metroid universe as a big reveal, then they might have even had a positive reaction.

This would mean that people would be getting sold purely on the merits of the new game and have the surprise as a bonus.

Instead we have a game that is up front and center about it being a Metroid game without Samus, and that if we aren't okay with that, then we should just play the game and we'll get over it.

So, by playing a game that has little to do with the series its being sold under and which feature gameplay I don't think I'll care for as well as an art style reminiscent of Spyro in Space I'll somehow be won over? Also, that you are making the game under fan protest, which you expected? And I'll totally forget that you have already admitted that there are zero plans of making a Metroid 5 in the next several years?

I guess we had all better shut up and buy this game if we ever want more Metroid by 2020.

Meanwhile games like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Bloodstained, Axiom Verge etc. are just gonna keep fruitlessly putting out Metroid-Style games that there just isn't a market for...

What's that? Each of those games has been hugely successful (some anyways) and people are throwing their money at them left and right?

I guess we should tell Nintendo about that.

I'll admit that its fun to jump in with the hate mob for this game, and when they admit they expected it its kinda too easy.

They did some fun things with Hyrule Warriors. Maybe next they will do a Dark Souls style Zelda game...

Admit it, you want that.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
When Nintendo makes a new game, people hate it for not being the old game, when they make a old game, people hate it for not being a new game. They simply can't win.
I unfortunately don't have a 3DS nor do I have friends that own one, so the game is a no go for me. But it seems interesting.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Louzerman102 said:
Bindal said:
Honestly, they should have dropped just the "Prime" from the title.
They probably should have dropped the Metroid part from the title as well.
Want some aloe for your bum?
It's a Spin-Off set in the Metroid Universe. It can be any genre it wants, including a cardgame if it so desires.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
You know... There's something very familiar [http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=29] about this... I can't quite put my finger on it [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/02/21/count-your-lucky-stars]... A real sense of deja vu [http://au.ign.com/articles/2001/02/16/looking-through-the-eyes-of-samus]...

Oh that's right! Last time Nintendo decided to do something different with the Metroid franchise, the fanbase collectively shat themselves and started flinging it everywhere like a bunch of inbred chimps, only to have the Big N hit it out of the motherfucking park! So how about y'all learn something from history, and actually hold your damn tongues this time until the game actually releases?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I used to like Nintendo. I grew up with a NES and it was a huge part of my childhood. I don't like Nintendo anymore. They're coasting on old glories, milking them into the ground. And apparently, shitting on beloved IPs is what they consider 'doing something new'. And along with oppressive censorship and scummy moves like region locking, I can't like them any longer.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
'Nintendo keeps making the sames games over and over again!'

New Metroid looks different than other Metroid so far.

'We want a more of the same Metroid Prime!'

Also, if I made videogames I'd make what I want not what my fans want, heck most of the time they don't know what they wan or want contradictory things.
Your missing the point completely. People might actually have been stoked for this game if it was labelled as a new franchise. As of now it is just a deceptive use of a title with nothing really to do with the source material. People who don't follow gaming sites or E3 will see this in the store and be deceived by the title. It would be like if Sony made a first person modern military shooter and attached the name 'Ico' to it. People are really mad because it is a deceptive cash grab.

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
'Nintendo keeps making the sames games over and over again!'

New Metroid looks different than other Metroid so far.

'We want a more of the same Metroid Prime!'

Also, if I made videogames I'd make what I want not what my fans want, heck most of the time they don't know what they wan or want contradictory things.
this game isn't different though, its literally a worse version of metroid prime hunters.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Are there any hard numbers on that? Because (again this is only hearsay) apparently the sales figures for the entire Metroid franchise amounts to about 8 million. That's... not much (if true). A single game today is expected to move half that amount at least. A Triple-A budget Metroid game in today's industry selling only 2 million worldwide would be a disaster. And Nintendo is already floundering with the Wii-U to the point where they're just gonna "Dreamcast" it.

This new game feels like Nintendo is covering their bases. Make it look chibi-esque to appeal to the kiddies, and bring it out on the 3DS; The system that actually sells.
erttheking said:
Every Metroid Prime game got a million sales each, with the first Prime game managing to rack up nearly 3 million sales. If you ask me that's enough of an incentive to not actively piss those fans off. 2D side scrollers tend to not cost that much, and there's as much of a demand for those as there is a prime game. Not to mention, no, a game isn't a failure if it sells 2 million copies and it's a AAA game, it's a failure if the devs lost control during the budgeting. I mean Dark Souls was AAA production value and it was a success with just 2 million copies. Not to mention there are ways to cut down on spending. Cheaper game designs...like this horrific abomination.

Is there no reason they could've made a new side scrolling metroid and brought it to the 3DS? I would've jizzed my pants at a sequel to Metroid Fusion. Christ, a remake of Super Metroid would've at the very least had wetted my appetite. And I what is the point of completely deviating from the core of Metroid to sell more copies when the people who didn't like Metroid before won't care about a new Metroid game because they never did, and the people who did care about Metroid will scream bloody murder. Exactly who is this aimed at?

And in the words of Jim Sterling "If you know something you're going to do is going to result in a backlash, DON'T FUCKING DO IT!"
This. And there's also not at many Metroid games and there are also not that many entries in the franshise. Especially when compared to the other games in Nintendo's catalog. The Metroid Prime series is what got Metroid into a bigger audience and those games are the most recent besides Other M.

My point it, Metroid could sell well if the IP was treated with some respect.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Bindal said:
Louzerman102 said:
Bindal said:
Honestly, they should have dropped just the "Prime" from the title.
They probably should have dropped the Metroid part from the title as well.
Want some aloe for your bum?
It's a Spin-Off set in the Metroid Universe. It can be any genre it wants, including a cardgame if it so desires.
The point I wanted to get across leaned more towards "This game would have better received if it didn't have Metroid in the title." For example, just strait up call the game Federation Force without trying to latch on to the coat-tails of Metroid Prime.

On a different topic, I am not one to turn down an offer of free aloe.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Starik20X6 said:
How bout...No.

See, the reason Metroid Prime got such about a big backlash was the radical change in gameplay.

The reason this game is getting major backlash is because the gameplay is perfectly the same except thoroughly downgraded and the most iconic character of the series and one of the most well known female video game characters has been thrown out of the main character seat in exchange for nameless faceless marines. Not even a named character from the previous games with a large fanbase like Rhundas or Syulux, the generic faceless marines. That's like a Half Life 3 making you play as a resistance fighter with no name instead of Gordon Freeman. If they weren't going to give us the main character, they could at least have let us play as Dog.

Just because a change was good once, doesn't mean all change is automatically good. I mean I recall Metroid Other M changing a lot of things and it being shit. In fact, that's why people are justified being concerned with the area takes Nintendo, they seem to fail to understand what made the franchise great and they're thoroughly crucifying it. And Prime's defining characteristic that won over the hearts of so many was its story. I don't see story having a big presence in a co-op focused chibi multiplayer game that for some reason thought that the inclusion of European foot-ball would be a good selling point.

Oh and let's not forgot, that this isn't something new. This game is basically Metroid Prime Hunters. The weakest game in the series before Other M came along. And from the changes made, it kinda looks like someone came along and said "Hey, let's make Hunters SUCK more"

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Starik20X6 said:
You know... There's something very familiar [http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=29] about this... I can't quite put my finger on it [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/02/21/count-your-lucky-stars]... A real sense of deja vu [http://au.ign.com/articles/2001/02/16/looking-through-the-eyes-of-samus]...

Oh that's right! Last time Nintendo decided to do something different with the Metroid franchise, the fanbase collectively shat themselves and started flinging it everywhere like a bunch of inbred chimps, only to have the Big N hit it out of the motherfucking park! So how about y'all learn something from history, and actually hold your damn tongues this time until the game actually releases?
That's the way a friend reacted to Metroid Prime. I think he never played it.

EDIT: I would absolutely try out Metris! LOL

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
I've been very disappointed in the gamers who responded to this game. "Disinterest" would have been acceptable, but "anger," simply because a company isn't catering to pre-established wants, helps nothing. It doesn't promote new creation; it quashes it. It's the selfish whining of spoiled consumers. Now I know there are at least 22,000.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
144 said:
I've been very disappointed in the gamers who responded to this game. "Disinterest" would have been acceptable, but "anger," simply because a company isn't catering to pre-established wants, helps nothing. It doesn't promote new creation; it quashes it. It's the selfish whining of spoiled consumers. Now I know there are at least 22,000.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Squashing new creation!? Look at it and tell me what there is to squash. Does this really look like a masterpiece to you?

And spoiled isn't the right word either because it's been awhile since we've had a good Metroid game. It's just flat out disappointment.

You can count yourself as one of the people who obviously know better than everyone else. By the way, nice whine.