MGS V: Ground Zeroes Dated, Xbox-Exclusive Mission Revealed

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
MGS V: Ground Zeroes Dated, Xbox-Exclusive Mission Revealed

<youtube=D-afMxILwxM>​
The Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions will feature an exclusive "Jamais Vu" mission starring Raiden.

Konami has revealed that Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will launch for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 18. Ground Zeroes is a prologue to The Phantom Pain, which will be released at a later date. Also revealed was the "Jamais Vu" mission, exclusive to Xbox One and Xbox 360, in which players act as the cyborg ninja Raiden.

The PS4 and PS3 versions also have exclusive content, titled "Déjà Vu" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129669-Metal-Gear-Solid-Ground-Zeroes-Has-PS3-4-Exclusive-Classic-Missions] for the chance to play as Classic Snake, a polygonal version of the character from the first Metal Gear Solid. In the Xbox-exclusive "Jamais Vu," the phenomenon of feeling like a situation is unfamiliar despite experiencing it before, Raiden has to take down enemy biroid "Snatchers."

In an interview with Xbox, director Hideo Kojima characterizes Ground Zeroes as "those first 15 minutes of a film that grabs the viewer's interest and pulls them in before the opening title appears. In game terms, it's a sort of tutorial that will help players get accustomed to many of the changes we're introducing to the system." The Phantom Pain does not have a scheduled release date at this time.

Also released on the Xbox YouTube channel is a 15-minute "Night trailer" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DntILfvx938] for Ground Zeroes. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will be available in stores and via download for $30 for current-generation consoles, and it will be available for download for Xbox 360 and PS3 for $20.

Source: Gematsu [http://news.xbox.com/2013/12/games-mgs-v-qa-with-hideo-kojima]

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Ok... so definitely getting the Playstation version.

Not being able to play as that androgynous prick Raiden is almost a selling point for me.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I'm I the only one seeing the reference Kojima is making to his old game, Snatcher?

Anyway looks like march is going to be a good time for next gen consoles between this, Titanfall, and Infamous Second sun.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
To be honest this mission seems better since it alows you to play the game differently (although I doubt the PS version doesnt allow to play with Raiden too, just not this mission since they wouldnt program a shit load of new gameplay code just for a console exclusive mission).

So all in all, if you get to play as Raiden in the PS version then it depends on what special mission you want but if you cant then this one is certainly better.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I had always thought the MGS series needed (possible) aliens and time travel. Those nanomachines are seriously versatile!

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
That kind of makes me sad. I didn't think Raiden was all that bad in MGS2, and I thought he became a badass towards MGS4 and Revengeance (terrible name). Hopefully these console specific missions will be released as DLC at a later date, similar to Darth Vader and Yoda in Soul Calibur IV. That way both sides can experience all of the game further down the line.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
This really needs to be sold as eventual DLC instead of all this console specific bs (Thanks next gen).
I'd really like to "Let er rip" in Ground Zeroes until MGR2's eventual release. :(

This also might be the closet thing we'll ever get to a Snatchers game.
Oh Kojima you dog you.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
For those that have never heard of snatcher behold the epicness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyUShtcn94

siveon

Jan 21, 2012
Oh Raiden?
Well I don't give a shit then. The Xbox One players can have him.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
siveon said:
Oh Raiden?
Well I don't give a shit then. The Xbox One players can have him.
No he'll be in the xbox one and Xbox 360 versions of ground zeroes.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Console-exclusive content is such bullshit.

But my biggest concern is whether or not these missions are canonical.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
The_Echo said:
Console-exclusive content is such bullshit.

Yeah it's my concern as well. And I do like Raiden, so it is going to be sad not seeing him on my PS3.

Hopefully the exclusive stuff won't last long.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The_Echo said:
First of all, just no.

Second of all, it just doesnt make any sense, this happens in the 80's or something, Raiden probably isnt even born yet let alone a cyborg ninja.

Third, the MGS1 remake mission isnt canon either, its just a fun bonus for the sake of being a fun bonus (the same goes for this mission)

How can anyone explain through canon and with a serious face why Naked Snake has a mask of Raiden's face in MGS3? Yeah, its just a joke that the face is the same, it isnt anything more and the same goes with this, its like thinking that using the Max Payne 1 model in Max Payne 3 suddenly means that all that happened in MP3 happened at the same time of the MP1.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
josemlopes said:
Second of all, it just doesnt make any sense, this happens in the 80's or something, Raiden probably isnt even born yet let alone a cyborg ninja.
There are advanced AI-controlled machines featured in Peace Walker, technology which won't appear again in the timeline until MGS2 (nearly four decades later).

The trailer makes it clear Raiden's been brought in through some kind of time travel. "A man from another world; a dark, distant future."

The Raikov mask is on par with the Snake's 'infinite ammo' in MGS2. It's just a silly nod to a previous game and tying up a gameplay element.

But this is something else entirely.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Jman1236 said:
For those that have never heard of snatcher behold the epicness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyUShtcn94
The idea is actually much older, the invasion of the body snatchers is an old 1950's movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFnSxeDfENk

These 'exclusives' better be time limited, this crap is utterly stupid, starting to turn me off MGS to be honest.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
PC exclusive content is such bull-, Oh wait that wouldn't matter if it was since no one here would complain if it was given to them anyway.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
So it releases on next gen, last gen but no PC? What the hell is going on here Kojima?

You just lied to us after peppering us with bs when you showcased the Ground Zeroes demo and that graphics demo on the PC. I am so disappointed in you sir, sigh.

PS: Totally unrelated (or maybe a bit), but I'm still waiting for that fucking MGS Revengeance port you promised us Konami.