MGS1 on play-station or MGS:The twin snakes?

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
I want to eventually play MGS GZ and 5, but I never bothered to play the first MGS game. I have played 2, 3, 4, and a bit of peace walker though. Does anyone recommend playing the play-station or the GC version, or is there a way I could play them on PC? (legally :/)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Gundam GP01 said:
Rosiv said:
I want to eventually play MGS GZ and 5, but I never bothered to play the first MGS game. I have played 2, 3, 4, and a bit of peace walker though. Does anyone recommend playing the play-station or the GC version, or is there a way I could play them on PC? (legally :/)
Why? GZ and 5 take place before 1. You already pretty much have all the context you need already.
Heh, considering the truth behind MGS 5 story, he doesn't need to have played any of the previous games AT ALL. I just finished the story half an hour ago and I AM PISSED! I don't feel as bad as I felt after the shit that was ME3 ending, but it's pretty damn close.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Gundam GP01 said:
Why? GZ and 5 take place before 1. You already pretty much have all the context you need already.
Well there is, you know, that one kid with the blond hair.

OT: I'd say play the Playstaion version, because it's simply better, but there are two moments that have becoming dreadfully unplayable over time. So maybe Twin Snakes is your best option.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Do you like wobbly textures from the late '90s with polygon counts so low that every character's face looks like something clumsily drawn in ms paint and all have meat paws for hands? Go for the play-station. Do you like exaggerated cutscenes for a game which cutscenes were already overacted to begin with? Do you like The Matrix with Keanu Reeves? Do you like if a game had it's voice acting re-recorded and some lines changed for absolutely no reason? Go for the Gamecube version.

I'd say Twin Snakes aged a bit better, but like many old games aren't really worth revisiting unless out of nostalgia. Espescially the original on play-station.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bitter Hobbit said:
Casual Shinji said:
but there are two moments that have becoming dreadfully unplayable over time.
Just curious, what moments?
Both Sniper Wolf fights, with the second one being so ludicrously frustrating that I had zero sympathy left for her in her final moments last time I played it. I remember never even needing any pentazemin back when I was a kid, but now the aim feels like I'm a 90-year old man with Parkinsons.

The fist fight with Liquid can also be a real fucking chore.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I personally prefer twin snakes. The game is quite cinematic and the gamecube obviously had much better graphics.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I played them both, and I think The Twin Snakes is the better option. The graphics and controls will probably through you for a loop if you do the PlayStation version. The game is nearly identical in every other way though, which I think is a huge plus for the remake.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I always prefer the original to remakes. I highly recommend the original on PSX over Twin Snakes. Twin Snakes is silly and bad and some of the control adjustments totally trivialize the game.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I prefer the original myself simply because it's amazing to see what they did with the graphics capability of the PS1. So long as you can stomach PS1 graphics I'd say that the controls are both the original's blessing and it's curse, they can be great for some sequences by adding a little more challenge, or they can make the game frustratingly hard.

Ayen Matthews

Aug 23, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Bitter Hobbit said:
Casual Shinji said:
Both Sniper Wolf fights, with the second one being so ludicrously frustrating that I had zero sympathy left for her in her final moments last time I played it. I remember never even needing any pentazemin back when I was a kid, but now the aim feels like I'm a 90-year old man with Parkinsons.

I agree with Liquid. I can get why Sniper Wolf would be frustrating, but never had too much trouble with her. It was always the torture scene and Vulcan Raven boss fight I hated the most about the game. And that part where you're walking over the blast furnace and avoiding being tripped by rats.

I have to go with PS1, too. Twin Snakes is when the series got sil-- *remembers MGS2* nvm.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Well lets have a look here

Graphics
Well I think it goes without saying the TS has much better graphics than the original. Take a look at some of the screen shots for the original and if you can't stand how its looks then stick to TS.

Voice acting
This is a very close call to be honest. The voice acting for the original is solid (no pun intended) where as TS makes some improvements and missteps. The most notable misstep for TS was the lack of accents for some of the supporting charters. There were also had some lines that were changed for no apparent reason. However TS did improve a little bit upon some of the main characters like Solid and Liquid Snake. Overall I wouldn't really say you are getting significantly better or worse voice acting by choosing the original or TS.

Music
This is the only category where I can say the original is undeniably superior. The soundtrack in TS isn't terrible, but a lot of the tracks just sound bland and those that do sound good are still sound inferior to the original tracks they replaced. There were only like 2 times where I thought TS's soundtrack was better.

Gameplay
Like with graphics, TS has much better gameplay mechanics which isn't a surprise since its based on MGS2 which was a natural progression from MGS1's gameplay. However, it does make TS too easy in some places. While, the original's mechanics are much more limited the game is still fun and is much more challenging. However, the original can also be much MUCH more frustrating.

In the end I think the question comes down to which element is more important to you, gameplay or story? If its gameplay then definitely TS. If story then the original if only because the better soundtrack gives the dramatic scenes more weight and the voice acting is more than good enough. Of course that is assuming the dated graphics and gameplay don't turn you off.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Bitter Hobbit said:
Casual Shinji said:
Bitter Hobbit said:
Casual Shinji said:

Haha know that you mention it I do remember being extremely frustrated with the Wolf battles when I last replayed the game.

OP are you replaying the entire series in preparation for 5 or just curious to play MGS?
A bit of both to be honest. I have grown to enjoy the mgs series, so not playing the first one seems silly for me as a fan. I just don't want to miss anything.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Gundam GP01 said:
Rosiv said:
Well I'm not worried about context as much as I am "completness" in a sense. It would be a shame to enjoy a series and not play its first game. It would be like getting into the warcraft series, but never playing WoW in my mind.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Zetatrain said:
Well lets have a look here

Graphics
Well I think it goes without saying the TS has much better graphics than the original. Take a look at some of the screen shots for the original and if you can't stand how its looks then stick to TS.

Voice acting
This is a very close call to be honest. The voice acting for the original is solid (no pun intended) where as TS makes some improvements and missteps. The most notable misstep for TS was the lack of accents for some of the supporting charters. There were also had some lines that were changed for no apparent reason. However TS did improve a little bit upon some of the main characters like Solid and Liquid Snake. Overall I wouldn't really say you are getting significantly better or worse voice acting by choosing the original or TS.

Music
This is the only category where I can say the original is undeniably superior. The soundtrack in TS isn't terrible, but a lot of the tracks just sound bland and those that do sound good are still sound inferior to the original tracks they replaced. There were only like 2 times where I thought TS's soundtrack was better.

Gameplay
Like with graphics, TS has much better gameplay mechanics which isn't a surprise since its based on MGS2 which was a natural progression from MGS1's gameplay. However, it does make TS too easy in some places. While, the original's mechanics are much more limited the game is still fun and is much more challenging. However, the original can also be much MUCH more frustrating.

In the end I think the question comes down to which element is more important to you, gameplay or story? If its gameplay then definitely TS. If story then the original if only because the better soundtrack gives the dramatic scenes more weight and the voice acting is more than good enough. Of course that is assuming the dated graphics and gameplay don't turn you off.
I was hoping this was not the case, but if it is, I might have to play them both. I don't want to miss out on any of the supporting cast's accents,I feel like they made a large part of the game for me.