MGS3 ... The Fury, whats his deal?

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
Sorry I'm on a Metal Gear kick lately, FYI any of you who have played MGS2 back in the day should replay it cause I got a good nostalgia buzz off it, anyway so I just reached the fury....

Now End/Fear/Pain I can see why they're in Boss' unit. They're all soldiers with their own quirks, I mean I guess Pain was just a bee keeper in his spare time (yes I know they're wasps)

Then theres Fury... What good is a SPACEMAN on the battlefield? And whats his backstory? He went into outerspace and saw the abyss and became angry at it?

It's a good boss fight but I think Kojima just phoned it in here and went "And then Naked Snake fights a SPACEMAN!!!!!"

Someone want to defend this character to me?
Well, most cosmonauts were recruited from members of the soviet air force, so while it's unlikely the soviets would shoot a fourty-plus WWII-veteran into space, it's not more unlikely than if the US would do the same thing.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Thing is, there are plenty of conspiracy theories surrounding "The Lost Cosmonauts", cosmonauts that never came home or were killed in terrible accidents that the Soviet authorities never acknowledged.

The Fury is likely supposed to be one of them. A cosmonaut who's Great Day went terribly wrong. Scarred and forcefully forgotten, I can imagine that he went a bit loopy, and the Soviets put him in their Flying Circus of Freaks where he could do some good. I rather liked him, actually, we have pyromania in common and I found the cosmonaut idea rather interesting, as stupid as it was. He really deserved some more elaboration, but still.

The whole Super Freakshow Elite Team idea was quite fun, in all. It always livened things up when they came out to play.

That said, the Metal Gear Solid games have always suffered from a dreadful case of stupidity overdosage. Or rather, stupidity that clashes terribly with the attempts at coming off as reasonably down to earth. For me, MGS3 was the last game before the OD became terminal.

(And no, game, I don't want to glare at her bussom!)