MGS3 ... The Fury, whats his deal?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry I'm on a Metal Gear kick lately, FYI any of you who have played MGS2 back in the day should replay it cause I got a good nostalgia buzz off it, anyway so I just reached the fury....

Now End/Fear/Pain I can see why they're in Boss' unit. They're all soldiers with their own quirks, I mean I guess Pain was just a bee keeper in his spare time (yes I know they're wasps)

Then theres Fury... What good is a SPACEMAN on the battlefield? And whats his backstory? He went into outerspace and saw the abyss and became angry at it?

It's a good boss fight but I think Kojima just phoned it in here and went "And then Naked Snake fights a SPACEMAN!!!!!"

Someone want to defend this character to me?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
delta4062 said:
Looking for logic in a Metal Gear game?

That was your first problem.
No. Not logic. I understand the whole Metal Gear series is like a Jason Bourne movie on acid.

But it's like... I just killed 3 other WWII heroes and a Spaceman... Why was I fighting a spaceman?

It's even more confusing because according to the MGS wiki they have up, Fury only went batshit crazy after going into space... The fuck? So what was he like before during WWII? Pain had his wasps, Fear is dislocating his limbs, The End is a corpse that occasionally comes out to play... So was this guy just really really fucking angry? Then who the hell would send him to outerspace?

On a side note, I just beat him. Can I say I felt the fury trying to drain this guy of his stamina? Cause after the 5th death I just said fuck it and killed him with normal bullets.

You know, I really dig Kojima's writing. Even through all the bullshit (how the hell did Fortune deflect those bullets?), I'm just wonder in the guys own head... Is he going "I don't know... I'm thinking Spaceman + Flamethrower" and being careless or is there an actual point to it? I also don't know why The Pain, a guy that has the flippin' bugs living inside his body, seems more plausible to me than The Fury but he does. Then again, I just finished 2 which has a fucking vampire.

okay maybe your right. Maybe none of this shit makes sense and we just roll with it because its Metal Gear. Maybe it's the mystery of it that keeps us digging it.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
'Defend'? How is a spaceman with a jetpack and flamethrower any more random than a bisexual vampire, an obese mad bomber on rollerskates or a Russian cowboy interrogation expert?

Sigint gives some details if you talk to him about how the Fury was sent into space in one of Russia's first missions but was badly burned because of how rushed the spacecraft was, barely making it back alive. Either before or after that mission he developed pyromania. Probably many years before since he was already a Cobra unit member during their glory days in World War II, as illustrated here (not canon but funny):

http://www.doctorshrugs.com/foxhound/comic.php?id=332
http://www.doctorshrugs.com/foxhound/comic.php?id=333

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
delta4062 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
delta4062 said:
Looking for logic in a Metal Gear game?

That was your first problem.
No. Not logic. I understand the whole Metal Gear series is like a Jason Bourne movie on acid.

But it's like... I just killed 3 other WWII heroes and a Spaceman... Why was I fighting a spaceman?

It's even more confusing because according to the MGS wiki they have up, Fury only went batshit crazy after going into space... The fuck? So what was he like before during WWII? Pain had his wasps, Fear is dislocating his limbs, The End is a corpse that occasionally comes out to play... So was this guy just really really fucking angry? Then who the hell would send him to outerspace?

On a side note, I just beat him. Can I say I felt the fury trying to drain this guy of his stamina? Cause after the 5th death I just said fuck it and killed him with normal bullets.

You know, I really dig Kojima's writing. Even through all the bullshit (how the hell did Fortune deflect those bullets?), I'm just wonder in the guys own head... Is he going "I don't know... I'm thinking Spaceman + Flamethrower" and being careless or is there an actual point to it? I also don't know why The Pain, a guy that has the flippin' bugs living inside his body, seems more plausible to me than The Fury but he does. Then again, I just finished 2 which has a fucking vampire.

okay maybe your right. Maybe none of this shit makes sense and we just roll with it because its Metal Gear. Maybe it's the mystery of it that keeps us digging it.
I'm thinking you've missed something big here. Because it's explained why Fortune can dodge bullets in MGS2 clearly.
Yeah. Ocelot calls her out on her shit, yadda yadda.

Then when Liquid/Ocelot has the Ray, she somehow uses her power despite the device.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Cobra unit is overall a very weak ensemble of characters. The End is a great Boss fight, but even he is just an old guy with little else sustaining him. Only the Boss and the Sorrow have any real dramatic impact.

Kojima has tried to recreate the Foxhound terrorist unit from Metal Gear Solid 1 ever since, but has never been able to come even close.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I don't know I thought the Cobra unit was pretty awesome and a weird reflection of the '60's. It's way out there like everything in his games but that's the appeal. It's difficult to top something like Psycho Mantis for sure but I think The Sorrow comes close. I haven't played MGS3 in ages though and recently bought the 3DS version so I really feel like playing it again. :p

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Fury is definitely the weakest character in the Cobra unit, but the whole unit (with maybe the exception of The End), suffers of lack of character development. I find the chapter, where you fight the unit, the weakest part of the game because of this.

The fury was a Russian space man (If I remember correctly the first one in space in the MGS universe), who had accident while in space. His ship had a malfunction and burned during re-entry of our system. In this moment he saw the world through a window and flames and he became obsessed with this image. He literally wants to see the world burn. He survived the accident, but his whole body was burned and he suffers the whole time. That is also the reason why he carries a flamethrower as his weapon, because he wants to burn everything and everyone.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure there was supposed to be some reference or resemblance to David Bowie's Major Tom character from Space Oddity and Ashes to Ashes. I'm not sure if that will clear things up or confuse you further...

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
He was my favorite Cobra. If I cared about things making sense, I wouldn't be playing a Metal Gear Solid game and 'pyromaniac jetpack cosmonaut' is too cool a character concept to let silly little things like 'logic' get in the way. Plus, his boss fight was awesome.

I'm not sure what the timeline is on the whole thing though. I can't remember which one, but supposedly either Snake or The Boss had gone into space on a secret mission before Yuri Gregarin (spelling?), and supposedly the Fury went into space early as well. This begs the question of whether he went up before or after fighting at the Normandy landings with the rest of the Cobras. Maybe back then he was just the 'flamethrower guy' and adopted the psycho-spaceman persona after his space accident. Or maybe I'm underestimating Kojima and we really are supposed to accept that he and the Boss went up in 1944.

Are the Cobra's emotions meant to be the emotions they experience in combat, or the experience they cause in their enemies? Because The Pain and The End could go both ways, The Fear is definitely on the the giving end of his designation, I doubt most people feel very Joyful when going up against the greatest soldier who ever lived, and being roasted alive by burning jet fuel runs the gamut of Pain, Fear, Sorrow and Joy(ie when you die and can't feel the pain anymore). The End is vague enough to be anything.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
He is/was a cosmonaut of the soviet state, saw the world "on fire" when he came back from space and now wants to burn the shit out of everything.

His story leaves alot to be desired, but the boss fight is good.

"oh shit he has a flammenwerfer and a jetpack
Box puts out fire.
WATER PIPES
watch out for the fires
The Mosin Nagant is his kryptonite.
HOLY CRAP THE BOX PUTS OUT FIRE!"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:

Then when Liquid/Ocelot has the Ray, she somehow uses her power despite the device.
Because it was MGS2 and weird supernatural weirdness was still allowed? The previous game had a levitating psychic, a mystical giant and a bouncy cyborg ninja, the next game would have a Hornet Man, Swingin' Predator and a literal Ghost kicking around, so a Vampire and a lady who can make bullets curve round corners isn't a huge stretch surely.

Of course by MGS4 nanomachines did everything! So you can either go with the assumption that fortune really did have magic powers and Ocelot's techno doohicky either augmented or disrupted them on command somehow, or that she had teh nanomasheenz doing their strange magic.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Fury?

Ah yes, the guy I always forget was in that game.

So I guess he didn't make such a huge impact on me. I get why he is what he is, but an angry guy who likes setting things on fire is not as memorable as the living hornet nest or the ghost-river dude.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Pain had his wasps
Aren't they hornets? 'cos they have a more painful sting and are generally more aggressive ... or am I making that up?

Anyway, didn't he get all angry 'cos he saw his homeland burning and now wants to repay his enemies in kind ... or am I making that up again?

It's just what I remember gleaming from the story. Trying to remember the MGS plot is like memorizing a bowl of spaghetti!

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Let's not forget that the space race [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Race] was a massive part of the Cold War. Based on the horror stories about the USSR's space program during that time, it's no wonder The Fury might be a bit... irate.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

Because it was MGS2 and weird supernatural weirdness was still allowed? The previous game had a levitating psychic, a mystical giant and a bouncy cyborg ninja, the next game would have a Hornet Man, Swingin' Predator and a literal Ghost kicking around, so a Vampire and a lady who can make bullets curve round corners isn't a huge stretch surely.

Of course by MGS4 nanomachines did everything! So you can either go with the assumption that fortune really did have magic powers and Ocelot's techno doohicky either augmented or disrupted them on command somehow, or that she had teh nanomasheenz doing their strange magic.
I do believe this image from revengeance sums up all the lunacy of metal gear solid:

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Shocksplicer said:
I'm pretty sure there was supposed to be some reference or resemblance to David Bowie's Major Tom character from Space Oddity and Ashes to Ashes. I'm not sure if that will clear things up or confuse you further...
This is the correct answer.

Everyone is looking too much into it when the answer is simply "Kojima is a big Bowie fan".