Michael Atkinson Clamps Down on Defamatory Comments (especially if they're directed at him)

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
$20,000 for defamation of character?
What the shit?

Atkinson is a crook and a closet fuzzy.

Lets see him try and extract $20,000 from me from across the world.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
If meerly being called a crook got a man a 20,000 dollar fine, then wtf is gonna happen to yahtzee if the dick decides to act against him?

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
Andronicus said:
Recently the Escapist ran an article outlining Michael Atkinson's position on a new law [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97959-Michael-Atkinson-Steps-Back-From-Pre-Election-Net-Censorship] requiring people to disclose their real names and postcode. In short, the Atkinson originally backed the law, but due to public outcry at its establishment, he is no longer in favour of the law, even though he has stated, and I quote, "There is no impinging on freedom of speech, people are free to say what they wish as themselves, not as somebody else."

In an act that clearly defies this statement, in response to a message posted on the AdelaideNow [http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/] news site, a man has been fined $20,000 for calling Atkinson a "crook".

In response to a story about bikie gangs back in December, one Dean McQuillan posted a comment calling Atkinson a "crook". The comment was very quickly replaced with this:
AdelaideNow Posted at 6.42PM... Today, a post appeared on AdelaideNow which referred to Attorney-General Michael Atkinson as a "crook"...

- AdelaideNow website, 8th December, 2009
And that was that. Or so it seemed to be.

Just a week ago, another apology was posted on the site as follows:
On 8 December 2009, a post appeared on AdelaideNow which referred to Attorney-General Michael Atkinson as a "crook". Once it was drawn to our attention, we removed it immediately.

AdelaideNow accepts that such a suggestion is unfounded and unreservedly apologises to Mr Atkinson for the post.

- AdelaideNow website, 22nd February, 2010
This comes in light of a letter sent to Mr. McQuillan on Christmas Eve, stating that the comment he posted was defamatory of Atkinson, but he would be quite willing to resolve the situation with $20,000 as compensation, and the publication of an apology and retraction of his original statement, to be posted on the AdelaideNow site.

Mr. McQuillan, who is bankrupt, sent a "robust response" to Atkinson, but has yet to receive a reply.

All of this, along with the original video done by Media Watch on the subject, can be viewed here [http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2833558.htm].

To be honest, I never thought the opinions of the masses of gamers wanting an R-rating was going to get Atkinson ousted from his position. However, what with the scandal of this particular law, and the obvious contradiction in terms of what it means for freedom of speech rights in Australia, I think if anything can get Atkinson kicked out of office, it's this.

" but he would be quite willing to resolve the situation with $20,000 as compensation"

crook1   /krʊk/ Show Spelled[krook] Show IPA
?noun
1.a bent or curved implement, piece, appendage, etc.; hook.
2.the hooked part of anything.
3.an instrument or implement having a bent or curved part, as a shepherd's staff hooked at one end or the crosier of a bishop or abbot.
4.a dishonest person, esp. a sharper, swindler, or thief.
5.a bend, turn, or curve: a crook in the road.
6.the act of crooking or bending.
7.a pothook.
8.Also called shank. a device on some musical wind instruments for changing the pitch, consisting of a piece of tubing inserted into the main tube.
?verb (used with object)
9.to bend; curve; make a crook in.
10.Slang. to steal, cheat, or swindle: She crooked a ring from that shop.
?verb (used without object)
11.to bend; curve.
Use crook in a Sentence
See images of crook
Search crook on the Web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1125?75; ME crok(e) < ON krâka hook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to fit the definition pretty well, Atkinson is willing to not be offended if he gets money from the man? yea, he sure sounds offended to me.

ATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOK
ATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOKATKINSON IS A FUCKING CROOK

engineermk2004

Feb 21, 2010
AcacianLeaves said:
Atkinson is a liar, a crook, and a corrupt cronie out only for his own self interest. He does not care about the people of Australia or protecting children. He is a man possessed by his own inflated ego, little more than a power hungry despot willing to go to any lengths to stay in office. Australia, you're better than this.

And you can fucking quote me on that.
And so I did quote you.
So...I'm an American. Just throwing that out there. The first amendment of our constitution backs us on our right to freedom of speech and of press. Also, we generally deal with crooks such as Atkinson in a swift manner. The only reason someone like this picks on you is they're not afraid of any repercussions. I would advise that South Australians do whatever you can to make sure he is out on his ass at the earliest possible opportunity. Also, if Yahtzee is listening, I hear he gripes about not being able to review certain games because of release dates and censorship and what not. I'd be happy to help him get U.S. releases.

rex922

Sep 30, 2009
screw atkinson
we need to stop this guy from influencing more crooks(just speculating possibilities) to join him on his retarded quest against video games.

fight austrailia!

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Machiavellian007 said:
Snotnarok said:
Atkinson can burn in hell for all I care...

...No, really, he can.
Can robots burn in hell? I guess we'll find out...
Maybe...
Couldn't find a better image.

As for Atkinson, he's going way too far; 20,000 for calling him a crook? The man is bankrupt!

Australia needs to get him out of office soon.

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
Trust me, he's a crook. I know one when I see one.

http://bobrev.com/wordpress/wp-content/Blog_images//Nixon.jpg

The irony is that (usually) the most conservative politicians have the most interesting / hilarious skeletons in their closets. And by skeletons I mean Filipino boys and a wheelbarrow of blow.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Some poor schmuck called him a crook and then Atkinson took every penny he had?

Sounds like Atkinson really is a crook!

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
atkinson is a crook, an asshole, a dickhead, selfish, and generally just an unpleasent man all around.

mambodog

Jul 8, 2009
This is a bit rich from the guy who suggested that the Gamers4Croydon political party would use 'criminal activities' in the lead up to the election. So... he can defame them by calling them criminals, but private citizens can't call him a 'crook'?

Fucking ****.

the story about 'criminal activities', for reference:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97644-Atkinson-Expects-Criminal-Activities-From-Gamers4Croydon

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I call Atkinson a crook and a crack pot. I declare myself free from repercusions due to the autonomy of the internet.

Wow, this is fun. Here's hoping all our Australian friends can soon be rid of this wacko.

jack_hectic

Dec 24, 2008
S.R.S. said:
Pararaptor said:
jack_hectic said:
ive emailed him a nasty letter telling him to f*cking let it go.

HERES HIS EMAIL!!!!

[email protected]
I hate to be the one to tell you, but that was not smart. It only supports his argument that mature video games encourage negative behaviour in people.
So you didn't send him an email then? I doubt it's real though.

OP: Fingers crossed he doesn't find this website. I think we all would make him a millionaire.
YES! i did email him.
whether or not the email is real is a whole nother issue, but heres where i got it: http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35&Itemid=24

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
this man truly has had his arse and head swapped over. why does he so hate teh internet?? i can see him reminiscing (however you spell that) back to the good old days when it was just him, a truck that never worked, 30 sheep and one communial bath...

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
Everyone, call him a crook, now! He can't fine all of us and it can only harm his public image.

Atkinson is a crook! And a poopy head. And he likes to wear ladies underpants.
Atkinson is a crook, and you could throw a "fat" PS3 through the gaps in his front teeth.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
jack_hectic said:
ive emailed him a nasty letter telling him to f*cking let it go.

HERES HIS EMAIL!!!!

[email protected]
I've been wondering why no one is posting these comments on AdelaideNow.com. Seriously folks, posting on the Escapist won't do a damn thing! Hit the enemy where it counts! Preaching to each other in church does not change the world, preaching at the enemy in the street does. Thanx Jack! I'm willing to bet this email address will go down in flames. Then, find the new one being used, and email the hell out of it. Post as much as you all can on AdelaideNow, or any other website that will get Mr. Atkinswhat's attention.

They ***** at me for being a pirate, but this is what being a pirate is truly about: Fighting for freedom with flair and panache!

Keep at it 24/7 and you WILL win!

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Michael Atkinson stole my virginity!!......twice!!

That probably harms my image worse than his, but what can I say... I'm a sucker for free candy from a stranger in a van.