Michael Atkinson Clamps Down on Defamatory Comments (especially if they're directed at him)

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Edit:
I don't support Atkinson in any way, I'm just pointing out the law here.
/ Edit

Biosophilogical said:
Wait ... someone got fined because they expressed their opinion that Michael Atkinson was a crook? Right after he said freedom of speech wouldn't be impinged? So what, free speech is now 'You can say whatever you want as long as I want you to say it'?
There's a slight bit of hypocrisy going on there but defamation > free speech in the courts. You can't just say whatever you want about someone and expect free speech to protect you, not even on the internet. Taken from wikipedia because the definition is pretty good:

Defamation - also called calumny, vilification, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words) - is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image. It is usually, but not always, a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant).

To prove defamation all Atkinson needs to do is prove he isn't a crook and that his image has been damaged by the claim. I'm fairly sure he doesn't have a criminal record and isn't being investigated for any criminal dealings. While I don't agree with his views or his politics, he's clean as a whistle as far as the law is concerned. Also, defamation cases are extremely messy and expensive. Not only can he not afford a lawyer, if this guy was to fight it he would most likely lose and the amount he would be ordered to pay would be far higher than $20,000.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Adkinson, you sir, are a crook. Go ahead, try to sue me. I live in America, we can say whatever we want about political figures unless it is libel or slander, and I don't believe I could possibly damage your career any more then you have done yourself. Good day.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I could think of worse things to call Atkinson. Mainly that he's a Nazi and that he enjoys eating puppies. I could name a few other things, but then I'd probably get kicked off of the Escapist. But at least someone is finally calling this man out for what he really is.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
So you continue to assault gamers with insults and stereotypes, but when someone shoves your own medicine up your ass, you start a hissy fit that can only be resolves with the compensation of thousands of dollars? Money because of an insult...on the internet?

Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
YOUR A FUCKING CROOK.

Dec 30, 2009
YOU CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!

I wonder if he can attack me if I'm not in Australia....

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
IckleMissMayhem said:
paragon1 said:
Atkinson is a crook, a hypocrite, a liar, and many other bad things. Also, I demand financial compensation for every time he defamed my character by insulting people who play videogames, which I do. Mr Atkinson's statements (unlike my own) have no factual basis, but I would be wiling to accept a written apology and a retraction of his previous statements (and cash[American]).
This is almost exactly what I'm thinking. If I knew enough about the Aussie legal system, I'd probably try to take him to court over it... but I'm too busy playing my hate and violence-filled videogames to do anything but raaaaaaaaaaage. And murder innocents, obviously. But it's all down to the 18 rated games I play.
Don't forget your rape and arson! The day isn't complete without those.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
SUPA FRANKY said:
So you continue to assault gamers with insults and stereotypes, but when someone shoves oyur own medicine up your ass, you start a hissy fir that can only be resolves with the compensation of thoughsands of dollars? Money because of an insult...on the internet?

Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
YOUR A FUCKING CROOK.
Must... resist... correcting... you're... ;-)

Y'know, I really wish political hypocrisy was illegal. People like this Michael Atkinson should be held criminally accountable for hypocrisy and fined accordingly. The money should be given to a deserving cause voted upon by the public.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Michael Atkinson is a big fucking crook!
Atkinson is Mr. Gay!
Atkinson is A FUCKING CROOK!
Atkinson is an asshole!
Atkinson is one stupid ************!!!!!
Atkinson is a complete hack!
Atkinson is an idiot!

And...
Michael...
I'm an American citizen and I live there!
HA!
You can't sue me here!
FUCK YOU Atkinson!

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Olrod said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
So you continue to assault gamers with insults and stereotypes, but when someone shoves oyur own medicine up your ass, you start a hissy fir that can only be resolves with the compensation of thoughsands of dollars? Money because of an insult...on the internet?

Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
Your a crook
YOUR A FUCKING CROOK.
Must... resist... correcting... you're... ;-)

Y'know, I really wish political hypocrisy was illegal. People like this Michael Atkinson should be held criminally accountable for hypocrisy and fined accordingly. The money should be given to a deserving cause voted upon by the public.
I know. I type really fast and rarely do I actually reread. That's what Firefox is for, and it does a pretty shitty job at it.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Hi,
I wrote to you a while ago about how I respectfully disagreed with one of your positions. I heard that someone recently insulted you by calling you a "crook". I feel that doing such is way out of line. I found this other website which did something similar. I think you should sue them as well:
//don't actually follow the link it's a rickroll
1227.com
Sincerely,
-Someone who respectfully disagrees

PhunkyPhazon said:
S.R.S. said:
Pararaptor said:
jack_hectic said:
ive emailed him a nasty letter telling him to f*cking let it go.

HERES HIS EMAIL!!!!

[email protected]
I hate to be the one to tell you, but that was not smart. It only supports his argument that mature video games encourage negative behaviour in people.
So you didn't send him an email then? I doubt it's real though.

OP: Fingers crossed he doesn't find this website. I think we all would make him a millionaire.
No, that's not it. Yahtzee already posted his address here before, which I'm pretty sure was something different.

Unless he has two addresses or something.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Mr. Micheal Atkinson,
I know you're not a crook. You're too busy being meathammered between a wombat and a kangaroo to get any decent thieving done. When you slither out from betwixt them, maybe you should go for a nice coastal swim to clean your filthy whoring self off. Might I suggest Cheviot Beach?

Pull the koala balls out of your mouth before you speak next, you salty, dried up old excuse for a ****.

Sincerely,
Internet Hate Machine

P.S.- You're a fag.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
hold on, I'll be back after I've photoshopped Atkinson head onto Richard Nixon. Actually, screw that. That would help his image rather than hurt it. Atkinson is a Crook.