Michael Biehn Stars in Blood Dragon Dev Diary

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Michael Biehn Stars in Blood Dragon Dev Diary

The star of Terminator, Navy Seals and
Aliens say he's really just in this thing for the paycheck.

Ask ten different people to name the greatest action star of the 80s and you'll get ten different answers, but the great likelihood is that nobody will name Michael Biehn. Yet he was always my favorite, I think because unlike most of his contemporaries he was neither a muscle-bound monster nor a deadly kung-fu master; he was just a guy with a gun and a willingness to see things through to the ugly end.

So it's pretty cool to see him back in the saddle as Sergeant Rex Power Colt, Cyber Commando and hero of the upcoming shooter/80s action flick homage Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Biehn provided voice acting for the lead character and in this new dev diary video seems genuinely excited about the opportunities offered by the game industry.

"I got one page, it's got nine 'f*cks' on it," he said. "I hope this thing fails."

In an interesting and amusing coincidence, it's revealed during the video that Biehn, despite his oeuvre, wasn't actually intended to take the role of Rex Colt at all. "You weren't our first choice," developer Dean Evans tells him during a behind-the scenes interview. "We couldn't get Kevin Bacon."

The amazing-looking (and pleasantly inexpensive) Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon goes live on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/233270/] on May 1.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
With every piece of marketing they release for this game, I think to myself, Well, there's no way they can live up to that with the next one.

BUT IT JUST KEEPS ON HAPPENING.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Every piece of promo material for this game just makes me more and more interested in buying it. The sheer insanity involved is guaranteed to be either terribly brilliant or brilliantly terrible. Either way, the player wins.

hotdogoctopus

Jun 16, 2009
My heart is warm. The glow of my hatred hearkens to the sound of awesome. My blood dragon is stiff. Er... that was inappropriate.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
"I hope I don't have to collect any fucking feathers..."

SOLD, right there.

Also was that a Godzilla expy in the video?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
And I supposed Kurt Russel was busy as well? :p
"I'm here to kick ass and say fuck, and I'm all outa fucks."
Yeah, in retrospect, Snake might have been a better choice here.

However,
Hicks will do.

I havn't played a fun lighthearted shooter in quite some time. Or any shooter, in fact. I had zero interest in farcry 3, so its nice to see that they repackaged the engine and turned everything glowey for a lazerz+dinosaurs+cyborg game. Should be fun!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The marketing for this game is making me forget about all the terrible things Ubisoft said about always-on. This is a must buy for me.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Michael Biehn is criminally underrated, he would have definitely been my first choice for something like this. This game seems like someones dream project, the sort of thing I've always wanted to play but has just been far too ridiculous to actually exist.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Mr.Tea said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Also was that a Godzilla expy in the video?
The answer's in the title; That was a Blood Dragon.

Yes, they shoot lasers out of their eyes.
See, you think that there's no way it can possibly get any better than that. But it can, because you're actually mistaken. They shoot lasers out of their MOUTHS.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
I can't believe I'm about to write this, but the consistent presentation of VHS video artifacts - the bad color balance, the scrolling bars - is totally winning me over. I am not being even a little sarcastic. I'm actually giggling a little every time something shows up like that, it's like the greatest running gag.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
If you have ever seen a proper interview with Michael Biehn you'll see that he is not too far from himself in some of those clips. And he openly admitted that Colonial Marines was a total paycheck gig. (I hope he got loads) Seeing these videos and the laugh they probably had making them was very heartening. I am not a fan of marketing or anything like that. But when the guys developing the game are so passionate about what they are doing it really gets you on their side. The laughs I have gotten from the marketing ALONE is worth 15 bux. There are a handful of games I feel like this about. Stuff like this, The Bioshock 2 uber collectors edition and James Soloman shilling X-Com to punters in a video game shop is always fun stuff to see.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Mr.Tea said:
Wait, why would that be better?
Well, lasers are the default eye weapon, much like fire is the default breath weapon. I'd say that at this point, someone with the power to shoot fire from their eyes would be cooler than someone with the same old laser eyes. So the same goes for something shooting a laser out of its mouth instead of fire.

Mr.Tea said:
Anyways, did you even play it? 'Cause I have and it comes out of their eyes, which is why there are two beams.

Here's a small clip I took in FRAPS:

Whoops. Nevermind then, you got me. I thought the lasers came from their mouths after watching this gameplay preview [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBSxZr_Huy0], in which they don't directly fight a dragon but watch it fight a group of enemies for them; they watch from the side, so it looks like one large beam rather than two, and it looked so much like it was coming from the mouth from that angle that they even said in the video that that's where the laser blasts were coming from.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Wait, why would that be better?

Anyways, did you even play it? 'Cause I have and it comes out of their eyes, which is why there are two beams.
Very important question: How on earth did you play it when it's not supposed to come out for another 2 weeks? Is there a demo or something out already? Cuz I'm jonesing to play this thing.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
This game has dinosaurs with lasers, if that isn't a selling point I don't know what is.