Michael Jackson Counters Piracy With Vuvuzela

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Michael Jackson Counters Piracy With Vuvuzela

Ubisoft has reached into the depths of evil to protect Michael Jackson: The Experience from portable piracy.

If you watched the World Cup (the world's soccer tournament, just to be clear), you probably already know the horror of the vuvuzela. Ubisoft surely does, and evidently uses the noise emitted from the incredibly annoying object to deter people from pirating Michael Jackson: The Experience [http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jackson-Experience-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0042YKI3O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291391066&sr=8-3] on the Nintendo DS.

A vuvuzela is a long plastic horn that emits a buzz which will follow you to your nightmares after hearing it. The "instrument" took over the World Cup in 2010, much to the chagrin of everyone not blowing into one.

According to a video released on YouTube, anybody not playing a legitimate copy of the DS version of The Experience will hear Michael Jackson's music with no lyrics, and a vuvuzela playing over the beat instead. Believe it or not, a vuvuzela can even destroy a classic like Jackson's "Billie Jean."

Michael Jackson: The Experience on the DS is said to be similar to Elite Beat Agents [http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Beat-Agents-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000HE9LL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291391481&sr=1-1], one of the greatest music games ever. The pirated version also doesn't bring any of the game's prompts up, making it completely unplayable just to add insult to aural injury.

The fact that a vuvuzela is even programmed into The Experience's code is enough for me to know that I'll never go near it. Game piracy is bad, but not even Cthulhu himself is more frightening than the sound of a vuvuzela. Ubisoft might have gone too far.

Source: Tiny Cartridge [http://tinycartridge.com/post/2072465614/cheeky-anti-piracy-implementation-in-michael]

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
THIS! IS! EPIC!

Do this for EVERY game! GUn shots as vuvuzela blasts! EVERYTHIGN!

Te only problem is hackers finding the code and simply deleting it.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Ubisoft, now see, this works better than a DRM, you punish pirates and leave your customers alone.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Reminds me of the Arkum Asylum way of anti piracy where you couldn't glide and batman just didn't have a cape
I like these anti piracy methods, there is room for creativity and make particularly lulz worthy stories

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Reminds me of how Nintendo took on piracy with Earthbound, if it was a fack you could still play it but it would be obscenely hard, and if you made it to the final boss the game would freeze before you beat it.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I think there's a trope for this...

Anyway, good show Ubisoft. More DRM like that and less UbiDRM please.

Apr 28, 2008
Ubisoft, start doing more stuff like this and I'll start buying your games again.

[sub][sub][sub]Note: I'm not pirating any Ubisoft game, I'm just not buying them. Ever. Until they get rid of their always-online DRM[/sub][/sub][/sub]

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This is hilarious, I love innovative anti-piracy! But I don't have any problem with vuvuzelas, I have 5.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Dragonborne88 said:
Oh Ubisoft, they have truly found the best method of countering piracy by far.
I know some creative ones but this really takes the cake as in THE MOST ANNOYING MEASSURE ever.

I wonder if hackers can circumvent it, I hope not. Gaming is not a right but a luxury.
Of course it can be circumvented, it's just regular AP except more obvious. This doesn't do anything to hinder used game sales so the typical ubi DRM isn't going anywhere either, unfortunately.