Michael Jackson The Experience Sold Way Better Than Anyone Thought It Would

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Michael Jackson The Experience Sold Way Better Than Anyone Thought It Would

Apparently, a lot of people wanted to slip on a glove and a Wii remote to dance to Michael Jackson songs.

I liked Michael Jackson The Experience [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8389-Review-Michael-Jackson-The-Experience]. There was something awesome about picking up a controller and pretending to be the Gloved One as I did my best keeping up with his (occasionally really freaking hard) dance moves. But I honestly didn't think it would appeal to a lot of gamers, especially with more complete dancing experiences available from Just Dance 2 and Kinect's Dance Central. I guess I should eat my hat as Ubisoft announced today that Michael Jackson The Experience sold through two million copies in the US and Europe. Keep in mind, that's only one platform and the game hasn't even been released in Japan yet. Ubisoft is optimistic that the Move and Kinect versions out later in 2011 (April 12th in N.A. and 14th in Europe) will perform even better.

"Michael Jackson The Experience is a worldwide hit and offers fans the game they have been waiting for," said Yves Guillemot, chief executive officer of Ubisoft. "As the leader in the dance game genre, our teams have worked enthusiastically to build an experience that recreates the magic worlds of Michael Jackson's videos and performances. We're looking forward to bringing Michael Jackson The Experience to Kinect and Move so an even bigger audience can enjoy playing the game with their friends and family too."

The Xbox 360 and PS3 version will add "Blood on the Dance Floor," "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" as well as some as yet unannounced tracks. You will also be judged on singing in addition to dancing, which will add a whole new difficulty level to the mix. I am out of breath every time I finish "Thriller" so I can't imagine having to actually get out all of the words at the same time.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Great, now we get to deal with two things.
1. More games like this will now flood the market.
2. Michael Jackson will still be trotted around stage despite being dead for a while now. Guys, let him rest in peace already.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
hansari said:
Hmmmmm....

Maybe there is something to my Riverdance Kinect game...
And you CAN wear the shoes while you do the dance unlike the glove! There's much potential in your idea yet, then you can sell a wood floor upgrade. Oh man people will be tappin' bills out their wallets for time to come!

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
inb4 inafter people whine about a game they don't like selling well.

Seriously guys, can we get ONE news article about a not-so-HARDCORE game selling well without people whining about it?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
LightPurpleLighter said:
Can't we just let the guy be dead already? Have some respect...
I don't get the "he's dead leave him be" to "respect" him.

I would think that the least respectful thing to an artist is to let his art die with him and pretend like it never existed.

That sounds a lot more insulting to me.

benderinTime

Dec 27, 2010
Pimppeter2 said:
LightPurpleLighter said:
Can't we just let the guy be dead already? Have some respect...
I don't get the "he's dead leave him be" to "respect" him.

I would think that the least respectful thing to an artist is to let his art die with him and pretend like it never existed.

That sounds a lot more insulting to me.
I'm inclined to agree. Completely ignoring the artist and acting as if he never existed is in no way honoring what many people consider the best pop artist in the last 50 years, maybe ever. If anything, games and movies, while cashing in on his death, are still honoring him for being what he was.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Erm...any actual sales figures?

In reality though, this is disappointing. This paves the way for further popstars' graves and the spitting upon thereof. :(

standokan

May 28, 2009
I guess even though no one wants to admit it, alot of people like MJ and you gotta admit he has got some good music and moves.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well to be quite honest, that is around 1,999,900 or so copies more than I thought it would sell.

Radoh said:
More games like this will now flood the market.
Yep. We have found the new fad: plastic guitar music games are out, dancing music games are in.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Now all we need is a Michael Game that lets you dangle babies from a balcony.

OT: I am actually suprised it sold that well, but then again, what do I know.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I was in a gamespot yesterday and there was a stand with games that were currently out of stock but and each had a sticker saying something like "In stock soon, pre-order now". Most of the games made sense to me, like Assassins Creed Brotherhood. But The Micheal Jackson Experience was there too, which puzzled me. But I guess its not surprising that his popularity passed over to videogames.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
tomtom94 said:
Erm...any actual sales figures?

In reality though, this is disappointing. This paves the way for further popstars' graves and the spitting upon thereof. :(
Two million copies. It's in the post.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
LeonLethality said:
inb4 inafter people whine about a game they don't like selling well.

Seriously guys, can we get ONE news article about a not-so-HARDCORE game selling well without people whining about it?
*applauds* Thank you for saying that I immediately thought when I read the title.

My in-laws bought it. At first I was like WTF? Then I could see the appeal.

Despite not liking dancing or Michael Jackson's music, I can see how awesome this is for people who do enjoy them. Being a funky dancer does make you look good, can't argue with that!

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I like Michael Jackson as an artist, I would almost buy the kinect to play this game on my X-box. Plus the ladies like dancing games it would seem.