Michel Ancel Says Beyond Good & Evil 2 is at "Day Zero of Development"

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Vigormortis said:
littlebunnyfuufuu said:
Sports are an "Entertainment product" that is easily as pointless - they will just be doing it again next year.
Did I say I thought it was acceptable to 'freak out' and riot over sporting events?

Mmm...don't think I did. Not sure why you're bringing that up like I'd been hypocritical. :/

But it is both Expected and considered normal to "lose our shit"
Doesn't make it rational, acceptable, or advisable, which is what I was saying.

How dare we be passionate about something we enjoy?
There's passionate, and then there's being juvenile. Throwing a tantrum over a fucking cinematic announcement trailer, just because the related game isn't in the exact state of development someone wanted, is the height of childishness. Only children get upset over something so pointlessly mundane.

Sorry for expecting adults to act like fucking adults. Won't make THAT mistake again.
Oh boy, for someone complaining about people getting upset and acting like children, you're sounding just as lame with your mocking attitude towards people expressing their disappointments that, again, video game companies continue to lie about their projects and the progress of them.

Hell, your first post in this entire thread was you losing your shit at people "losing their shit," and your post was by far the most aggressive out of all the posts so far. lacktheknack's post was hardly anything more than a hard jab at the community, but you just exploded like that child in the gif.

Or am I simply assuming that there is that much emotion put out in your post, as you seem to be with just about everyone else expressing disappointment that once again, years later, we're being fed the same bullshit on a prettier plate.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
You know what? GOOD. I hated the trailer.
Oh thank goodness, I thought I was the only one. I liked none of the characters, and this monkey with his pseudo-gangster demeanor was especially off-putting.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nathaniel Grey said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Nathaniel Grey said:
It seems most of you didn't see the speech that Michel Ancel gave during the reveal. It is very clear that the team is working hard on this game and was simply happy to share with everyone the fact that they were indeed working on the game. All this negativity (real jerk-like comments) is really unwarranted to a guy who was in tears because of the mere fact he was able to make a sequel/prequel to a game he loved.

In all honesty, fellow escapist members, y'all are a bit up your own asses in this thread.
I absolutely loathe this "shut up and be grateful" mentality in some gamers.
Grateful for what? A teaser trailer? They already made one nine years ago.

Even if you fell for that one in 2008, at least it looked like a sequel to Beyond Good and Evil.
Nine years later: have another trailer. Now it's a prequel, so fuck those characters you liked and fuck if we're addressing that infamous cliffhanger ending. Have a repulsive chav chimp with a gun, mothafucka mothafucka for dialogue and things going boom.
Not only did Ancel not give us anything, he managed to take something: the hope a beloved cult game would get a decent sequel.
Thanks for fucking nothing is what he's getting.
I never said to shut up and be grateful, I said that this announcement, that was clearly made with care and love (and again I do stress that notion after seeing Michel Ansel speak), is being met with an unwarranted amount of anger, cynicism, and general negativity. They tried to say to fans, "yes we are indeed working on this." And the common sentiment in this thread is that for some reason it is a trick. Based on the way he talked, and the man himself, it clearly isn't. The announcement was much more of a statement that, Ubisoft Montpellier, and more importantly Michel Ansel, will be working on solely this game until it is complete. When they produced the trailer, that you showed above, they were indeed developing a game that was going to be a direct sequel to beyond good and evil, but they changed their mind. They can do that.
Oh he got emotional did he.
Every game takes a lot of time and effort to make and I don't need the dev to go on stage and get emotional to appreciate that.
That's every game. Every game. Even that one you hate. You know the one.
And if this is being met with "anger, cynicism and general negativity", it's certainly not unwarranted.

Anger: Nothing of what they've shown looks, sounds or feels like the game we know and love.
Cynicism: They already released a trailer for a game they weren't making 9 years ago. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...
General negativity: See above.

Nathaniel Grey

Dec 18, 2013
BuildsLegos said:
Whether the offender be individual, corporation, or government; you can't deny the effects habit has on reputation. Going by previously established habits, the "creative leads" of this project will once again "change their mind" while Ubisoft dangles their phantom-effort as a carrot to bait us into scam-garbage like For Honor, which is admittedly a consolation after this threat to besmirch the good BG&E name with "GTA in space". The main take-away is that Ubisoft is, even more-so than other corporations and to put it mildly, a creature of habit to a fault and nothing they ever say -including claims that there will be no BG&E at E3 2017- should ever be believed.
The holes in that statement are that based on their "habits" the majority of games they say they will release are in fact finished and released (That is, if we are looking at Ubisoft Montpellier's track record). Understand, I have no issues with anyone's cynicism. I can see why one is skeptical at the idea of this game. But sentences like this

BuildsLegos said:
Ubisoft dangles their phantom-effort as a carrot to bait us into scam-garbage like For Honor, which is admittedly a consolation after this threat to besmirch the good BG&E name with "GTA in space".
are absolutely hyperbolic and ridiculous. It is a phantom effort? What! The f-ing OP even says that they have been working on this game for over three years, but before they could truly get started they had to make the tech to support the game they wished to make. How is that non-existent work?

Johnny Novgorod said:
Every game takes a lot of time and effort to make and I don't need the dev to go on stage and get emotional to appreciate that.
And if this is being met with "anger, cynicism and general negativity", it's certainly not unwarranted.

Anger: Nothing of what they've shown looks, sounds or feels like the game we know and love.
Cynicism: They already released a trailer for a game they weren't making 9 years ago. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...
Anger: Just cause the game isn't what YOU (Don't use "we") want doesn't make a trailer bad.
Cynicism: Absolutely be cynical. If I said something to the contrary I didn't choose my words properly. What I'm specifically taking issue with are statements like the one above that do no take into account the effort of the developers are, and have been, making. Statements that make it seem like this is all a cruel ploy by Ubisoft and Michel Ansel to fuck with the fans while doing nothing. Ergo why I point to the developers speech. Obviously he wants this game made. Obviously he wants it to be great. Obviously he wants us to play it. And obviously he loves it just as much as the fans. I just want ya'll to not ignore that and make tactful statements.

In addition. Novgorod you never said anything that I took issue with in my initial post.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nathaniel Grey said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Anger: Just cause the game isn't what YOU (Don't use "we") want doesn't make a trailer bad.
Cynicism: Absolutely be cynical. If I said something to the contrary I didn't choose my words properly. What I'm specifically taking issue with are statements like the one above that do no take into account the effort of the developers are, and have been, making. Statements that make it seem like this is all a cruel ploy by Ubisoft and Michel Ansel to fuck with the fans while doing nothing. Ergo why I point to the developers speech. Obviously he wants this game made. Obviously he wants it to be great. Obviously he wants us to play it. And obviously he loves it just as much as the fans. I just want ya'll to not ignore that and make tactful statements.
I don't think for a second that Ubisoft is deliberately trolling their audience (maybe they are, but *I* don't think so). *I* also think nobody owns them the benefit of the doubt that the game will ever be made, let alone be good. This is the second time in a decade they show a trailer for a game they haven't even began making. Back them all you want, but they've got coming every bit of criticism anybody wants to dish out as well.

In addition. Novgorod you never said anything that I took issue with in my initial post.
Neither did you! I'm not mad at you or anybody. Just at Ubisoft's empty announcement, coupled with a shitty trailer for a sequel (prequel?) to one of the few games I will get incensed about, and have they been teasing that game for years.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
littlebunnyfuufuu said:
I brought up sports because its an "entertainment product" that most people can relate to.
Okay, but that doesn't explain why you used them in the context of what I said. You used them to attempt to point out some perceived hypocrisy on my part. But I'd said nothing of the sort. You projected a point of view onto me that I didn't have.

So...please explain.

By defending proven liars, you are saying its ok to be lied to.
Bullshit. Also, when did I defend "proven liars"? Calling adults out on their whiny, childish behavior is not equivalent to defending a separate party. Why the fuck are you projecting so much nonsensical bullshit onto me that I haven't said? It's really weird, dude.

Perhaps you dont understand why people are upset that that a company that is proven to be liars are "totes workin on this project for realsies, forget those other times we said so." would annoy fans of that project?
No. I know exactly the reason people would be upset. I'm saying flipping their shit over it is a very child-like overreaction that reeks of a false sense of entitlement, a lack of perspective, and broken priorities.

Perhaps you dont understand that people arent upset because its "not in the state they wanted" it is because this games fan base has been jerked around for Ten Years??!!
"Jerked around for ten years." I wasn't aware that two cinematic 'trailers' and one 'we'll totes make this game if you buy this' equates to a full decade of dicking.

I guess, even as a "fan" of the original game, I had other priorities over the last decade. I wasn't hung up on empty promises from...how did you put it?...oh, right, "proven liars".

Why get upset from, what you're claiming to be, another lie from a company you've pegged as completely untrustworthy? Seems like a total waste of your time and energy.

But hey, it's yours to waste. ;)

Forget "not in a state they wanted", its not even in a state- Thats the problem! Its not in a state, despite them saying it is, then saying it isnt for Ten Years!
You don't quite get how game development works, do you? Don't feel bad. Most people don't. They just assume game devs sit down one day, smack the keys on a keyboard for a few months, and a game just 'appears'. It's okay to be confused by them saying the game is on 'day zero'.

Perhaps you dont understand why fans of an "entertainment product" are annoyed that in addition to "vertical slice trailers", withheld reviews, bullshotted trailors and pictures, game trailors made "not in game engine footage", and Sponsored reviews, etc, ( the only form of "Entertainment Product" that does such elaborate schemes btw) we now have to shift through Lies as well?
What does any of that have to do with this specific 'reveal trailer'? Most of that doesn't even apply.

And yes, I get why they'd be 'upset', but I'm still saying it's childish to get so fucking upset that you throw tantrums online about it. You keep acting as though I "don't get it". I do. But I also have perspective enough to realize how idiotic the overreactions are.

Wheras the Only reliable and effective way,in a Pre Orders are everything matter world, the best way of determining if a game will be good at release is the history and reputation of both the game, and the companies involved-
Or, and bare with me here because this might blow your mind, or we could try judging the final product AFTER it's released.

Crazy talk, I know, but maybe we can judge a product for what it is instead of what we're told it'll be or what we assume it should be.

Now we are being outright lied to.
And you have proof of this? What was the lie? Who did the lying? Do you have proof that the game isn't in active development? Did you see something in the trailer or 'reveal' talk after that claimed the game was in some state other than 'day zero'?

Please, share with the class. I don't like being lied to.

Now we have to deal with being outright lied to.
Only if we're being lied to. Still waiting on that proof...

And even if we are, so fucking what? Why does it matter? Genuinely, in this context, why would it matter if they're lying about the game being in development or not? Are they demanding you give them your money now? Do you have some personal, monetary investment in the production?

If not, it really shouldn't matter to, nor upset, you that they're lying about it.

But its "Us" who arent acting like adults???
If someone is throwing a tantrum over an announcement trailer....yeah, they're being pretty fucking childish.

Do you think how they have acted for Ten Years is reasonable and warranting absolutely no bitterness,cynicism,
Bitterness? No. That requires an embarrassing amount of investment that borders on obsession. Cynicism? Maybe, but cynicism is the defacto state of being of most Millennials today, so fuck it. Why not?

and jadism?
I have no idea what the hell that is.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DeadProxy said:
Oh boy, for someone complaining about people getting upset and acting like children, you're sounding just as lame with your mocking attitude towards people expressing their disappointments that, again, video game companies continue to lie about their projects and the progress of them.
Three thoughts:
There's expressing disappointment and then there's throwing a tantrum. A lot of the reactions I've seen (not just here) have been the latter, not the former.

Also, if I sound 'childish' by mocking (in this case mimicking is more accurate) someone else, that says more about their reaction, not mine.

And finally, I keep hearing people say the devs have lied again. Please explain the lie. Please elaborate on how the cinematic 'trailer', and the announcement that followed it, contained lies. What insider information have you been made privy to that the rest of us haven't?

Please share.

Hell, your first post in this entire thread was you losing your shit at people "losing their shit,"
Did I? I wasn't aware posting an animated gif and using another's post as a segue to point out hyperbolic reactions was "losing my shit".

Learn something every day. :)

and your post was by far the most aggressive out of all the posts so far.
Aggressive implies I was 'attacking' someone in particular. Wasn't doing that. I was mocking a specific behavior. If that behavior doesn't apply, why take offense?

Your post, however...

lacktheknack's post was hardly anything more than a hard jab at the community,
And mine wasn't?

but you just exploded like that child in the gif.
Sure, why not? I mean, I was primarily laughing at the absurdity of it all, but sure....I was writhing on the floor, screaming my lungs out in anger.

Or am I simply assuming that there is that much emotion put out in your post, as you seem to be with just about everyone else expressing disappointment that once again, years later, we're being fed the same bullshit on a prettier plate.
Still not seeing the 'fed bullshit' part. Like with the other guy, I'm waiting for that proof....