Microsoft: $499 Xbox One Will "Over-Deliver" on Value

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I got it! I know their plan. They intend to make so many stupid decisions, PR disasters, and horrible out of touch statements, that people will slam their heads into their desks repeatedly. Eventually, all that trauma will take it's toll. And people will actually start to believe this nonsense. Then, they will BUY the console.

That's the only explanation!

Also, does anyone have actual data regarding the Preorders? I'd love to know what sort of value people actually think there is. I already saw the Amazon Top 100 Gaming section. It was enlightening. But I'd like numbers.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
I wouldn't be using half the features it has. Kinect should be optional, it provides me nothing other than raising the cost.

I want a gaming console that is just for games. PS4 and the Wii seem to be closer to what I want.

And the fact they have to reassure consumers that it will be worth it shows they're afraid.

Sep 14, 2009
CriticKitten said:
"[$499] is a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted," said Don Mattrick, head of interactive entertainment for Microsoft. "We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product you look at these days and $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people so I think they're going to love it when they use it."
I have no real words to describe this. So I'll let Bender do it for me.

For 500 bucks you can build a PC that could reasonably compete with the Xbone's hardware, and would be capable of doing most of the stuff MS brags about for free, without a need for an XBL subscription. And without a need to live in the United States or one of the 21 countries Microsoft has deemed worthy, either.

This guy really just needs to learn when to shut up.
the exact thing i was going to post, word for word. xbox really fucked up with this, as mentioned, you could build a competent pc for that money that does ALL THOSE THINGS without big brother xbox watching over you, and nickel and diming you for every little thing you think about doing.

"oh what's that, you're thinking about ordering from amazon? 5 dollars for 3rd party fees...WITH EACH ITEM YOU LOOK UP."

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dastardly said:
Can you make yourself appear any more out of touch with the average gamer?
This reminds me of an awkwrd series of conversations I once had about this girl that apparently liked me, but I didn't really like. I already had someone I was interested in and while we were yet to define our relationship in any solid way, it looked like things were going that way. And my friends were trying to talk me into this really nice girl with the sort of argument that she's "really not that bad." not those exact words, but the same sort of sentiment.

It's awkward when it's social. It's pathetic when it's a product you're marketing.
Indeed. This is not a glowing recommendation for your product -- "Hey, it's not that crazy a price."

What it tells me -- and this is a very big deal -- is that MS executives have the firm belief that everyone feels a need to buy a next-gen console. So they don't have to make their product amazing, and worth $500. They just have to make it good enough, and you'll buy it -- because you need them. They've forgotten that consoles are optional.. and often not optimal.

It's one thing for a company to have consumers by the balls. It's another thing entirely when they just think they do. It gives us a neat window into that kind of thinking.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Microsoft: $499 Xbox One Will "Over-Deliver" on Value
For our advertisers and other corporate sponsors!

Look at it this way, anyone who does buy one will have already pre-selected themselves as being a very, very good consumer.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008

"Aw, yeah. All kinds of value, up in this *****."

A unique combination of devices and services! Woo-hoo! Everything from the intrusive to the extraneous!

Wait, wait, I know this one! Tell me how you'll explain how the XBox One brings unique value to the table at some later date! Any more trade shows coming up? Maybe it becomes magically clear a couple of months after you buy one...?

$100 more for a more restrictive console with slower RAM and another slew of games struggling to make use of the Kinect that, thanks to your delightful policies, I can no longer necessarily borrow from friends or rent to discover how they've failed in their missions. That's what's on your plate, guys.

I won't lie. I'm enjoying watching you sweat as you fail to sell it.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
conmag9 said:
Uh-huh. Well, given that it's the customers who decide whether something is worth "thousands of dollars of value", I'm thinking you might get a little opposition to this idea.

Seriously, putting that price on it, declaring that it's actually worth so much more, like they're doing us a favor putting it $100 more than PS4 with more restrictions? How remarkably stupid they must think gamers.
We'll see if they're right when the Xbox One comes out. I've got a gut feeling that a lot of gamers are just talking-the-talk and are actually going to buy an Xbone when either it or the next Halo game comes out.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
it's like taping a Bear to the passenger seat of my new car, sure a bear is probably expensive and i won't get it anywhere else for the same price but i really don't want to be mauled to death.
And at this point what bugs me much than the stupid is the condescending way MS keep talking down on their customers, they sound like my parents when i was 5 and didn't want to eat any vegetables, except that back then the vegetables didn't try to kill me when i ate them.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why would they jam their console with "thousands of dollars" of "value" in the first place (I know it's marketing-speak bs but let's just roll with it for a while)?
Have they learned nothing from the ps3? They are repeating the exact same mistakes and then some.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
No Microsoft... you can use the word 'value' all you want until you choke but I only see consoles as necessary evil. Only way to deliver on value is through good (exclusive) games.. and I've had enough of Halos, Gears of Wars and over abundance of other shooter exclusives that you have.

nymz

Apr 1, 2010
Get 10 friends, buy 2 games each. Voila! All of you now have a collection of 20 games (although with certain restrictions). There is value to the machine, why the fuck are they not mentioning where that is?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
The only way the Xbox None will over-deliver on value is if it was constructed using precious metals and gemstones.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
"According to Mattrick the Xbox One will provide a unique combination of 'devices and services' that will include Xbox Live, Kinect and SmartGlass, among other features."

"Devices & services" are not what I buy a GAMING console for. As my literature and debate professors have always said, KISS (keep it simple stupid!).

3DO and CDi failed b/c nobody wanted a laserdisc player with their game console. It was very forward thinking, but cost prohibitive, and failed. 10 years or so later, PS2 does the same thing, but with DVD, and it dominates.

Why? Because the cost of tech was reasonably lowered by this point, and the various features were a benefit that people could use.

Thus far, there is NOTHING an XBONE can do that a PS4 and a Roku box (or a PC on a tv monitor) can't do better. Cable companies have yet to sucker me into a TV bundle, I'll be damned if M$ does.

And since it's a "device" to deliver a "service," it's not exactly a gaming rig...so what's the point, other than to give up my freedoms and waste money?

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
MeChaNiZ3D said:
You think the Xbone is secretly worth thousands of dollars? Over-delivering?

Nothing of substance was said here today.
"We need to educate people, and show them why they need our product!... But not now."

"Our product is worth thousands of dollars, because of all the awesome features we haven't told you about yet!... But we're not gonna tell you what they are."

Screw you and your substance, just buy the thing because we pinky promise it will be awesome.

Captcha: Double Whammy. Only too true, captcha, only too true...

Trueflame

Apr 16, 2013
This reminds me of those TV advertisements. "A $50 value, yours for only $19.95. But wait! Order in the next ten minutes and we'll double your order! And include this special edition of something, worth an added $100! That's $200 of products, yours for only $19.95!"

I don't fall for it then, and I'm not falling for this now, Microsoft. But nice try. I admire you for having the balls to continue with this charade for so long.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Let's see...

I already have a cable box.

I have no interest in social networking beyond the Facebook which I can easily access on my laptop (which is much more portable than any console.)

I don't use Netflix.

I have no space in my living quarters to use a Kinect, and after trying it out I hate the thing anyway.

I'm on a college student budget and refuse to frivolously spend my money when I can get a better deal elsewhere.

I will have all the games I want as well as a Blu-Ray player when I buy my PS4.

So Microsoft should, instead of assuring me that I shall receive "an abundance of value", work on explaining to me why the FUCK I would ever want an Xbone. Buzzwords and vague allusions do not make me a happy camper. Or, rather, they make me a very happy camper. I'm just in Sony's luxury camp which costs a hundred dollars less, while Microsoft's leaky failboat sinks to the bottom of the lake our camp is situated by.

aivalera

Aug 30, 2011
CriticKitten said:
"[$499] is a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted," said Don Mattrick, head of interactive entertainment for Microsoft. "We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product you look at these days and $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people so I think they're going to love it when they use it."
I have no real words to describe this. So I'll let Bender do it for me.

This guy really just needs to learn when to shut up.
Bravo!

I'm calling BS on Microsoft.
If I want to watch TV and I pay for that
If I want to watch DVDs or Blu-ray and I pay for that
If I want to talk to a friend by phone and I pay for that
Would that be under Xbone's $499 "over-delivering" price?

Yep. What about if we take away the $100 Kinect? Still yes, pretty close but yes.

And this isn't even counting XBL, or the Games, or the extra Controllers, or the headset, or the internet that Microsoft now believe is free and that everyone has consistantly. Someone needs to kill Microsoft's internet connection so that maybe they will get the hint.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Everytime i hear about the xbox one i allways have to think about this little song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifBc8bBRaVY

Especially compared to the PS4

JetFury

May 31, 2013
This is pathetic. They just can't stop failing it's sad....honestly xboxdone buyers deserve every bit of misery they receive for supporting this.....thing.