Microsoft Accused of Ignoring Disc-Scratching Problem

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Woe Is You said:
Pseudonym2 said:
Why would Microsoft fix it? If you break a disk you have to buy a new copy.
Well, if you get sued and lose, you lose a lot more than just cost of the disc.
This is Microsoft. They aren't going to lose.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
The only time I've ever seen this happen is when my friend was struck with a sudden case of "the dumbass", and thought it was a good idea to move his console with Gears of War playing. Needless to say (but I will anyways), it got a nice big scratch around it.

Since I've never seen it happen for any other reason, I'm gonna have to say that it's not Microsofts fault if you can't take the time to skim the instructions for giant red letters saying "DO NOT MOVE WHILE PLAYING".

Besides, they sell disk-scratch repair kits that work quite well for about 20-30 dollars anyways.

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
And this, my friends, is why I think a modchip is an integral part of any console. It's bad enough that you have to pay 4 times for the same game if you want to enjoy it on 4 different systems, you also have to pay double, triple and more for every game if someone, including Microsoft, damages it. "Pirate and try out everything you want, then pay for what you like and want to see more of" is my moto.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I disagree with the microsoft representative.

Moving an N64 whilst it's running will not do any damage to the disk!

niblik

Jun 13, 2008
I haven't had a problem with my xbox 360 scratching my disks, but it "scuffs" them. It like it rubs parts of the disk with some kind of abrasions.

When too many abrasions add up I start getting read/disk errors. I paid a game store to polish the scuffs off but I can already hear my Fallout 3 disk being ground up again... :(

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Not my problem. After my third fucking RRoD in six months, I finally gained enough common sense to give up on the unmitigated pile of shit that is the Xbox 360. Enjoy, suckers.

Fightbulb

May 14, 2008
I've had my 360 for about 14 months, it scratched two games in the past two months. I didn't even have to move it! The fact that Microsoft isn't refunding scratched games is ridiculous. Well, they might refund my copy of Halo, but the only downside there is that I don't fucking play Halo.