Microsoft Acquires Gears of War

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Well damn. After Judgement and after the way Microsoft has been handling Halo, This series is pretty much dead to me. I'll just keep on playing Gears of War 3, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Oh gooood...more Gears of War....and it's Microsoft behind the wheel now eh? Well let's see what contrived bs reasoning they come up with to make Gears of War 4 "Oh wait nope some Locust?s survived the death wave" or "there is something worse than the Locust?s or Lambent deep down in the planets core, and it has now awoken! Prepare to face an ancient evil!" Hey maybe they?ll actually think the story is important enough to actually put in the game this time huh? And maybe it will actually be good?

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Not sure why; I was under the impression Gears of War had already kind of peaked as "a thing"

nykirnsu

Oct 13, 2012
Norix596 said:
Not sure why; I was under the impression Gears of War had already kind of peaked as "a thing"
Probably because it had; no one liked the latest one and that barely had any marketing anyway so most people who aren't fans have forgotten about it at this point.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Well, they have Titanfall, but what else does the Xbone have? Microsoft may just be wanting to pull out the big guns. "We've got the Halo, we've got the Gears, we've got the Titanfall, so you're gonna buy the console, right?"

Same kinda thing with Nintendo; some games sell consoles (so where is the next Super Smash Bros? Jesus...)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hold on, am I the only one who is surprised that Microsoft didn't already have the rights to Gears of War? I practically considered it first party software.

Frankly, when I think of good Microsoft exclusives I say "Halo, Gears of War, ... ?" and that's the end of my list. That this wasn't already theirs is surprising. But I agree with the sentiment that this IP is getting a little stale.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
Wait, where have we seen this before in the Microsoft continuum of games/developers? Oh, that's right... 343i. MS buys the rights to Halo, entices a few Bungie employees to jump ship and help create/manage the Halo Franchise. 343i then proceeds to make the absolute worst Halo game with a very hackneyed story.

Gee, it's like Microsoft just can't seem to get it through their heads when to let a IP go or rest it for awhile. I expect that their acquiring of GoW is going to turn into another Halo 4 and 343i moment for them. Except this time there literally is nowhere for the GoW franchise to go in terms of story. Microsoft needs to learn to let it's devs get to work on new IP instead of hopelessly chasing down past glories in an attempt to get them back.