Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Though Valve apparently wanted to release the upcoming "Crash Course" downloadable add-on for zombie shooter Left 4 Dead free of charge, Microsoft demanded people pay for the content.

Speaking to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/l4d1-dlc-pricing-not-valves-decision], Valve's Chet Faliszek said that while his company traditionally tries to release add-on content for free -- "Crash Course" will be released on the PC platform free of charge -- Microsoft was having none of that.

"We own our platform, Steam. Microsoft owns their platform. They wanted to make sure there's an economy of value there," said Faliszek.

"It's not like [Valve is] looking at this as, 'Oh my god, we need some money, we're going to charge,' obviously, or we'd do it on the PC. So it's just kind of the way the system works right now."

The good news is that the add-on content for Left 4 Dead has a relatively small price tag, considering it includes an entirely new chapter of gameplay for the multiplayer title. When it lands on the Xbox Live Marketplace later this month, you'll only have to drop 560 Microsoft points ($7) to purchase it.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
BOO!

Thanks Microsoft. You know, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
That's a pretty dick move, I think.
I guess I can slightly understand it, what with costs to keep that file up, which (if free) would be downloaded like crazy.
Still, though. I'm disappointed.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Yep.. that's Microsoft. Them and Activision... and many other things are greed in human form.
Well.. at least this isn't Valve's fault

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
what the fuck microsoft seriously dude you used to be cool back in the day what happened to you, youve been hanging around with that apple havent you? we warned you about them now your a money sucking bastard too.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Ooh, they certainly jumped on that opportunity.

"Why have Free DLC when you can charge? hur hur"

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Big deal, we have to pay $7 for new DLC. I'm a rich SOB, I have $250 in my wallet alone so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides, Microsoft knows we're going to buy the DLC anyway regardless of the price they put on it so relax; save the price moaning for MW2's price tag.

[EDIT] Ok you know what, forget I said anything. I'm getting tired of you people calling me a dick when it's over something this stupid.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
HentMas said:
how weird, a company that wants to make money!?!? ODD!!
You know, that argument is starting to sound really stupid.

If it is free on PC then it should be free on all platforms. The same goes for everything else, it punishes people for buying games on a certain platform and that is not fair.

If they charged on all platforms then your argument would be valid.

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
Microsoft just need to get money from everything dont' they?! Hardly any DLC is free unless now Mircosoft have an off day or get it sponsored. (Original Gears of War maps are paid for Discovery Channel, Dash of Destruction is paid for by Doritos)

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Oh noes, Microsoft has decided to do something it has every right to do! Come on, people. I know having to pay for DLC you didn't know was going to have a price at all is annoying, but it costs Microsoft money to make AND distribute the DLC. And that cold hard cash has to be made back somehow. They're running a respectable business and money invested has to be made back. It's the way these things work.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
And that's one of a few reasons i can still consider PC gaming half-decent. Lolz.

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
The_Oracle said:
Oh noes, Microsoft has decided to do something it has every right to do! Come on, people. I know having to pay for DLC you didn't know was going to have a price at all is annoying, but it costs Microsoft money to make AND distribute the DLC. And that cold hard cash has to be made back somehow. They're running a respectable business and money invested has to be made back. It's the way these things work.
only it didnt cost them anything to make all they have to do is host the file, valve made and ported everything.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I wouldn't entirely put Valve in the clear just because they themselves say they are not responsible.