Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
letsnoobtehpwns said:
For some reason, I really don't care. Probably because I no longer have to go out and by a prepaid card and $7 is pretty much nothing. I know that DLC is overpriced and that the PC has it free but, this is one of those few times I'll just let it slide.
As much as I applaud your casual opinion of the situation (there is really no need to get worked up over this), it does make you part of the problem. MS is doing this because of people like you. If no one was willing to pay for otherwise free DLC, then they couldn't charge for it. What we need is more people who feel strongly about the evils of pulling stunts like this who will convince others to not give MS their money. MS certainly wouldn't like it much if NO ONE bought the DLC. I would bet that after a while, they would make it free, even if it was for a limited time. Worst case scenario: MS just shrugs it off and continues on their greedy merry way. A mood that won't last long if similar successive boycotts succeed.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
Big deal, we have to pay $7 for new DLC. I'm a rich SOB, I have $250 in my wallet alone so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides, Microsoft knows we're going to buy the DLC anyway regardless of the price they put on it so relax; save the price moaning for MW2's price tag.

[EDIT] Ok you know what, forget I said anything. I'm getting tired of you people calling me a dick when it's over something this stupid.

I'm having a lazy night here...I am all PC right now, but frankly this really is a dick move. Valve has been quite cool with DLC while Microsoft sucks every little pebble dry that comes through their system. It's like half the class gets pie, while the other half has to do math equations for an hour in order to get some pie.

Trust me, it's a true analogy.

Bad Microsoft! No pie for you!

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Can't believe I bought this game for my 360. I'm definitely getting L4D2 for my PC, anyway.

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
I got news for everyone in this thread: Microsoft is much more likely to stop supplying DLC altogether then they are to make it free. Comparing Microsoft to Valve is like comparing elephants to basketballs - it makes no sense. If you all have such a problem with it, go buy it for the PC... but after you do that I guess you'll be 23 bucks in the hole, eh? Either use XBL or don't, use Steam or don't, but don't cry when one company or the other does something you don't like.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
One thing I have a problem with regarding Microsoft and DLC, is that they charge too much for too little on DLC in my opinion, and this may be heading into the category... who knows.
But.. on topic, I understand that Microsoft wants to make money from this. But in my opinion it should be entirely up to valve as they created this. But microsoft is a service, in this case, distributing the DLC... (makes them sound like a dirty dealer)

but... true to form, anyone expecting microsoft to deliver the majority of their DLC for free has been hding under a rock. Thank god I have a PS3 too so I can get the best of both worlds.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
w-Jinksy said:
what the fuck microsoft seriously dude you used to be cool back in the day what happened to you, youve been hanging around with that apple havent you? we warned you about them now your a money sucking bastard too.
oh come on, bill gates was sucking up money BEFORE it was cool

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
i really dont see whats so bad about paying $7 for extra content for an awesome game. Granted i would rather have it for free, but seriously a new campaign for the price of lunch....not bad.

leonyx

Aug 17, 2009
I agree with what they are doing, but it's a bit harsh to do it to one group of people and not the other. but hey that's life and it can be a *****

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
The_Oracle said:
Oh noes, Microsoft has decided to do something it has every right to do! Come on, people. I know having to pay for DLC you didn't know was going to have a price at all is annoying, but it costs Microsoft money to make AND distribute the DLC. And that cold hard cash has to be made back somehow. They're running a respectable business and money invested has to be made back. It's the way these things work.
Protip: Microsoft didn't actually make it.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
MS is perfectly in their right to ask for payment of downloadable content, but $7? They didn't even develop it.

I guess It doesn't matter to me anyways because I don't own L4D and I don't plan on buying L4D2 until it's about $10. *holds breath*

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
That is okay, because L4D2 is coming out and they'll leave L4D to the buzzards when they do!!! Yes, I'm trolling

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Hahahaha, once again Microsoft prove they're just money-hungry fuckwhores.
I'm so glad I've been playing it on pc since last year.

bruffterman

May 28, 2009
Ok so the reason that has been stated for why microsoft are doing this is because if they let it be released for free, it would make similar content appear poorer value, and would create demand for cheaper or free content of simialy quality on XBL. Thus Microsoft are trying to artificially inflate the perceived value of their DLC in order to keep prices high. and they're doing it with other people's content.

Also the fact that it is such an odd number at 560 MSP, and from what valve have said leads me to conclude that Microshaft's cut from an 800 MSP DLC is 560 fricckin points. THAT is reprehensible!

And to some people $7 is a lot of money, I remember when I was a young'un I would get like maybe 1 game for my birthday, maybe another for xmas, and even if it isn't much money to you, the difference between $0 and $7 is still infinity percent. that's a lot.

Oh and I don't think some of you understand the reality of server costs, XBL is a cash cow for microsoft, they make a huge profit on your subscriptions, way over what it costs to maintain the servers, and they post massive videos and demos that are all free to download, hell the demos are almost always the full content but locked. they do that because to cost of serving the file to you is miniscule vs how much they make from the license the charge on the 3rd party games, that a few people might buy after trying the demo. the cost to serve you this DLC is maybe a fraction of a cent. so don't be defending that. the fact that they charge a monthly sub, just means that it should cost less, vs a system such as PSN or the PC where there is no paid for centralized system.

The solution here is simple, Valve should offer free PC game keys to anyone who trades in their 360 copy. That way they obey microsoft, but give loyal fans a way to protest this pathetic move by microsoft without having to boycott the new content.