Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Hearthing

Aug 20, 2008
Hold on hold on hold on.

I have a MAJOR problem with Xbox 360 anyway.

I've always gamed on the PC, always, with the occasional RPG on the consoles (all I really play them for)

I would always call something like this "a patch." And would always define this patch by it's number, for example this will be L4D 1.2? I believe?

This is my problem: When did patches become "DLC"? In the very way the word sounds it just screams "MONEEEEEIIIIIIIZZZZZZ" at you, where as a patch sounds like something beneficial (which it is). Map packs are possibly the worst... Why are map packs classed as DLC? Maps, with the proper tools, take a few hours to make a basic yet fun map on the PC, yet a bunch of maps cost you up to approx. $15 or so? (Unsure of dollar cost, sorry :<)

Most of the "map packs" people on the 360 pay for are released in drips through patches on the PC. You seem to get them bundled together and have to pay for the privilage, which is wrong.

Although I'm going off topic here, there's been a "DLC" announced for Dawn of War II. Now, a little knowledge of this game. It runs with the PC version of XBL, "GFWL" which everyone hates as it uses the 360 style of match making, as apposed to the usual PC "join this server pl0x" matching. HOWEVER, the game also MUST BE authenticated through Steam for you to be able to play it. This comes at a huge advantage to people playing DoWII, as Microsoft wanted to charge for this new content patch (I'm not going to use DLC anymore). Relic turned to Valve and asked them to host it for free through Steam, they agreed and now microsoft have gone off in a huff.

As has been said all throughout this thread:

This is an utter dick move by microsoft, and just because they CAN charge for a content patch, doesn't mean they should. Especially not with L4D2 just around the corner (though in saying that, in my eyes as someone who loves L4D on the PC, it's pretty much a scam that should have been in the original game from the start. So long as I can mod in my Louis sound files to the new "console appealing heavy black man super power armoured mega giant AKA Cole but L4D style" I'll be happy. if I have to go a full campaign without here GRABBIN' PEELZ, I'll probably break down.)

Mmm, long winded posts.

If you couldn't be arsed to read it all I'll sum up:

Microsoft will scam you out of everything, and to rub salt into the wound PC users will just pirate the crap out of the content anyway (Fallout 3 files are readily available on the interweb for example)

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
PyroZombie said:
ssgt splatter said:
hypothetical fact said:
$7 adds up and paying $7 shows the producer that you are willing to pay $7 in future. Microsoft has departments where they work out how much they make off dlc compared to how many customers they get and your attitude is the green light for them to try for $8 next time.
Listen, they know we're going to buy it so there is really no point in getting upset over it.
What do you mean "We're"? Have you forgot that they're still people who boycott due to the flagrant lying and besmirching of the zombie label, you arrogant tool?

Don't generalize anything.
What do you mean what do I mean "we're"? I mean they're people who'll buy DLC reguardless of its price and I'm one of those people along with say 250,000 others. They know we're going to buy the DLC so get over it; if you guys want to boycott it and that's fine but don't go out and attack those of us who disagree with the rest of you.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Don't care, I'll buy it anyway. It's 7 bucks.
Geeze, it costs more for me to go get a spicy chicken sandwich at wendy's.

PyroZombie

Apr 24, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
PyroZombie said:
ssgt splatter said:
hypothetical fact said:
$7 adds up and paying $7 shows the producer that you are willing to pay $7 in future. Microsoft has departments where they work out how much they make off dlc compared to how many customers they get and your attitude is the green light for them to try for $8 next time.
Listen, they know we're going to buy it so there is really no point in getting upset over it.
What do you mean "We're"? Have you forgot that they're still people who boycott due to the flagrant lying and besmirching of the zombie label, you arrogant tool?

Don't generalize anything.
What do you mean what do I mean "we're"? I mean they're people who'll buy DLC regardless of its price and I'm one of those people along with say 250,000 others. They know we're going to buy the DLC so get over it; if you guys want to boycott it and that's fine but don't go out and attack those of us who disagree with the rest of you.
I'm not attacking you because your pro-L4D, I'm attacking you because you said we're to imply that we all. Whether or not you support that game, I still would have called your mistakes because I'm a George Carlin Fan and as one, I have adapted the art of pointing out stupid shit that we don't think about.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
HentMas said:
how weird, a company that wants to make money!?!? ODD!!
You fail. The other company involved (i.e. Valve) wasn't intending to charge in the first place, so your sarcastic remark dies right there.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
PyroZombie said:
I'm not attacking you because your pro-L4D, I'm attacking you because you said we're to imply that we all. Whether or not you support that game, I still would have called your mistakes because I'm a George Carlin Fan and as one, I have adapted the art of pointing out stupid shit that we don't think about.
Oh, ok I gotcha
but still, a lot of people are still going to buy it.

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Don't care, I'll buy it anyway. It's 7 bucks.
Geeze, it costs more for me to go get a spicy chicken sandwich at wendy's.
Yah, no kidding. Skip junk food for a week and you could buy this two or three times over.

Or you could throw a fit, call Microsoft names, and not buy the thing... and nothing will change. :) Face it, people, it's not Microsoft that's the evil empire anymore, it's Apple. Yay, iPhone.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:
You fail. The other company involved (i.e. Valve) wasn't intending to charge in the first place, so your sarcastic remark dies right there.
woa woa people, cool down, i just said the first thing i had in my mind, and i find it more troubling that people complain about "price tag", why does everyone wants stuff for "free"??

i dont mind paying, after all thats why i work for and seing that video games are the only thing i actually like to buy i have a budget for those, besides the service xbox brings is actually quite different than Valve, and adding a "price" for things in "live" is not because of valve... but you already know that.

besides porting and using "Live" haves always being costy (as in it costs something), but who cares?? people will still buy things because well, they "want" to, its people complaining that "its not fair" and such that makes me laugh, oviously "Live" and "Steam" are 2 different companies with different points of view, but as i have already bought the game in XBOX i will buy the expansions if i have to (or want to), as i said, i dont care, after all, thats why i work for.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
HentMas said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:
woa woa people, cool down, i just said the first thing i had in my mind, and i find it more troubling that people complain about "price tag", why does everyone wants stuff for "free"??
It isn't about wanting stuff for free. It's because Valve were originally going to distribute it free, as a generous gesture, and M$ have fucked it.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:
It isn't about wanting stuff for free. It's because Valve were originally going to distribute it free, as a generous gesture, and M$ have fucked it.
well, yeah, ergo my FIRST post, companies "like" money

besides they are using space in MS servers, it´s like "rent"

and come on, 7 bucks??? i doubt it even pays the server traficand storage space it uses

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
HentMas said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:

and come on, 7 bucks??? i doubt it even pays the server traficand storage space it uses
But greedy companies like Microsoft will sabotage other companies attempts to be generous. The whole thing here is the principle.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
As I told my friend about the DOW II DLC, I shall say again:

MS wanted to charge, relic went to valve, then Valve gave MS the finger, hosted the DLC for free, then rode off into the sunset as people cheered their name.

Don't give up, valve! Don't let the Man put you down!

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
HentMas said:

But greedy companies like Microsoft will sabotage other companies attempts to be generous. The whole thing here is the principle.
ok, sorry if i sound like a jerk, but you are saying that a "third" company should give you stuff for free just because the original company wanted it to be so?? no matter that the 3rd company is making it available by the use of its resourses???

man... thats just crazy, you probably thing "hey! MS is rich, they can aford it", i have had to deal with people like that in my own company, i am not a greedy bastard but it´s just "not fair" for me to give "freebies" to people using my own resourses unless i have already put it in budget.

really some people forget how a business works sometimes, and come on, once a gain 7 bucks!?!? PLEASE, they are losing money in there... or well... i dont know, i havent done the math, if anything its not a wrong thing to do, its not the most noble thing to do, but they are not wrong, i don´t see a "sin" to charge you for a service being provided.

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
It exist a reason why i use PC N' piss on xbox and ps3 but i'm not saying they'r crap It's pretty awesome to play at a buddy while you're sitting on a moutain of gold whith you're lovley PC but the PC's ain't perfect eiter but FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FREEEEEEEEE from payin' to jerks^^

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
And we already pay monthly fees for access. There's no excuse for charging for this if Valve didn't want to.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I wonder if the (relatively) new Live feature of rating content will cause people to rate the DLC as 1/5, like what happened to DRM-laden Spore on Amazon.com?

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
That's lame. Microsoft sucks.

And has anyone noticed that the price for things on the xboxlive marketplace has been going up? Xboxlive arcade games have gone from 400, to 800, and are starting to appear frequently at 1200 microsoft points, and DLC is doing the same thing. A year ago this DLC would probably have only cost 400 points.

EDIT:
ohgodalex said:
Why that amount, though? It's as random as you could possibly make it.
It's so that you can't just buy 500 MS points to get it. Another trend I've noticed recently.

PyroZombie

Apr 24, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
PyroZombie said:
Oh, ok I gotcha
but still, a lot of people are still going to buy it.
Yeah, the poor bastards.