Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Is anyone honestly surprised by this? Really?

It's Microsoft. This is like expecting the media to tell the truth.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
w-Jinksy said:
what the fuck microsoft seriously dude you used to be cool back in the day what happened to you, youve been hanging around with that apple havent you? we warned you about them now your a money sucking bastard too.
Dude, this is not the first time MS has done this. Gears Of War was to have some free update, but MS insisted on charging for it. Nickel and Dime, I hate microtransactions.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
big deal. Microsoft have no incentive to offer it for free, so they dont. Deal with it

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
The_Oracle said:
Oh noes, Microsoft has decided to do something it has every right to do! Come on, people. I know having to pay for DLC you didn't know was going to have a price at all is annoying, but it costs Microsoft money to make AND distribute the DLC. And that cold hard cash has to be made back somehow. They're running a respectable business and money invested has to be made back. It's the way these things work.
You are also missing the point. It's not the fact that DLC costs money, it's that it only costs on the 360, PC gamers get it for free so those who bought it on the 360 are getting punished for their choice of platform (which is harsh considering they are both owned by Microsoft).
Wait. What? I'm pretty sure my PC is built from various parts not licensed from Microsoft. I'm also pretty sure neither Valve nor Steam are owned by Microsoft. I have no idea where you got the idea that PCs are owned by MS, but it's...well, wrong.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Amnestic said:
Machines Are Us said:
The_Oracle said:
Oh noes, Microsoft has decided to do something it has every right to do! Come on, people. I know having to pay for DLC you didn't know was going to have a price at all is annoying, but it costs Microsoft money to make AND distribute the DLC. And that cold hard cash has to be made back somehow. They're running a respectable business and money invested has to be made back. It's the way these things work.
You are also missing the point. It's not the fact that DLC costs money, it's that it only costs on the 360, PC gamers get it for free so those who bought it on the 360 are getting punished for their choice of platform (which is harsh considering they are both owned by Microsoft).
Wait. What? I'm pretty sure my PC is built from various parts not licensed from Microsoft. I'm also pretty sure neither Valve nor Steam are owned by Microsoft. I have no idea where you got the idea that PCs are owned by MS, but it's...well, wrong.
I meant the operating system. Windows etc. Which is needed to run games.

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
tehroc said:
w-Jinksy said:
what the fuck microsoft seriously dude you used to be cool back in the day what happened to you, youve been hanging around with that apple havent you? we warned you about them now your a money sucking bastard too.
Dude, this is not the first time MS has done this. Gears Of War was to have some free update, but MS insisted on charging for it. Nickel and Dime, I hate microtransactions.
and the cool shits coming out when i cant find a job damn benefit abusersv being forced into taking jobs a 16 year old should be doing, at least its not as bad as psn where everything is inexplicably more expensive and i cant hold down a fucking game of mgs online cos the 12 year olds are trying to play that shit like cod.

gah im gunna have to stop ranting for no reason and with no connective.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
Amnestic said:
Machines Are Us said:
The_Oracle said:
Microsoft doesn't own Linux, nor does it own whatever OS Macs are running on these days. Or indeed any home built Operating Systems that people have built under their own steam. In fact, the only connection Microsoft has to Left 4 Dead as a game is the version on the 360. They have nothing to do with how the game and its downloadables are managed on the PC platform.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Amnestic said:
Machines Are Us said:
The_Oracle said:
But contrary to what they (or you) might think, they do not own or control everything you do on that computer under that operating system; nor do they have any ownership or control over the network or the distribution channel (Steam) in this case either.

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Amnestic said:
Machines Are Us said:
The_Oracle said:
You don't need windows to run games. Games are just not compatible with other OS's

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Toty54 said:
You don't need windows to run games. Games are just not compatible with other OS's
If you take the time to read other replies you would see I have already been corrected on this matter twice.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
While I am also upset about this, I really don't understand why you people are suprised. I mean, can you think of a company that wouldn't have done this? Nintendo would have charged a few hundred Wii points and Sony would have wanted your cash, among the many business standpoints people have presented. So where is the shock value?

I get that it was a HUGE dick move to only charge for it on the 360, but Windows PCs are a small part of all computor-based games, so the 360 is a more viable market.

*sigh*

EDIT: Also why are we suprised by Microsoft specificly? When have they ever not pinched pennys and charged every extra bit that they could?

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
AdambotLive said:
Off-topic, to the boycotters: you wanted DLC, go get it, PWNED!
So the boycotters got pwned by getting what they wanted, that being DLC?

Nice logic there.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
I thought it was kind of obvious they you should never get Valve games on a console, since they best support their stuff on PC.

At any rate, this has been going on for a LONG time. The Team Fortress 2 updates for The Orange Box on Xbox 360 is even worse. Microsoft is forcing them to charge AND Valve is having trouble getting the updates out because they're running out of space (look it up on archived news from official TF2 site).

Simply put, buy Valve games on PC. They support their products better on that platform.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Who's going to buy it on consoles anyway? Except for people that don't know Valve games are like half the experience on them. This just proves it further.

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Toty54 said:
If you take the time to read other replies you would see I have already been corrected on this matter twice.
At the time i was typing there wasn't any.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
HentMas said:
how weird, a company that wants to make money!?!? ODD!!
Wow, you aren't copying atleast 50 other people who've said that, and also, since when does Microsoft really need the money? They already have the XBLA, XBL subscriptions, the games, the consoles, the computers, the games on the computers, Bill Gates, and now they charge for this even if the developers don't want them to!

I'd say they're just greedy.