Microsoft Assures Us a Halo Movie Will Happen

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Microsoft Assures Us a Halo Movie Will Happen

Frank O'Connor says Microsoft is more than willing to make a Halo movie, and might consider funding it itself.

O'Connor, Microsoft's Franchise Development Director for the Halo series, was at the Future of Television East conference last week, was approached by a network exec about making a Halo movie. His response?

"Bring piles of money."

The exec's reply? "For Halo, we will."

Years after Peter Jackson was announced as the Executive Producer, the script by Alex Garland is still the primary candidate for the Halo film. Rumors have flown about who will portray Master Chief, everyone from Denzel Washington to Hugh Jackman, but no one has been officially cast in the role, and the movie hasn't even stably entered pre-production, being placed on perpetual hold.

O'Connor claims that this is all the lawyers' fault. "It was the lawyers," he said. "When they went behind closed doors with the contracts, things fell apart. The problem was that the movie company couldn't make any money beyond the movie." He said that even if a movie fails in theaters, the studio who makes it will still probably profit, through licensing deals and DVD sales. However, because Microsoft owns all the licensing rights to the Halo franchise, the studio would be unable to proceed with milking the Halo name for all it's worth.

That all seems like a big pile of setbacks, but O'Connor is optimistic. "There will be a Halo movie," he said. "We don't need a movie. But we'd like a movie. We'd like the moms of gamers to see the movies because they would love our characters. Maybe we'll even fund it ourselves."

Source: N4G [http://nygamecritics.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/frank-oconnor-there-will-be-a-halo-movie/]

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
I'm torn between a deep urge to see my favorite series made into a breathtaking motion picture and a heartbreaking realization that it will be shit.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Scott Bullock said:
We'd like the moms of gamers to see the movies because they would love our characters.
Master Chief? Really? Yeah, that will make my mum love Halo /sarcasm.

As for the film itself, I think Halo can make for a good movie...somehow.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Like MovieBob said, just hand it to Michael Bay, and the rest of the world can proceed uninterrupted; there won't even have to be a huge stain on Peter Jackson's filmography.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I personally think this could be pretty cool. I always liked Halo, still need to get my hands on reach. Just depends on what period of time they set it in I suppose.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Well the games are over for now and they are going to use this to fill in the gap i guess.

Cool, at least it'll be done this time.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Halo would make an awesome movie. It's just that the Chief couldn't be the main character unless someone with really good filmmaking skills gets on the Halo train.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Okay, Master Chief should be played by the actor who voices him. No one else. Let's face it, they're not gonna show his face in the film, so they might as well use him. It's like the original voice actor doing the voice for Prime in the recent Transformer movies. If you can get away with it, do it.

Also, this sort of depresses me. Bungie is basically gone, so the franchise they brought to life won't be translated to a movie under their wing. I know Microsoft owns Halo, but any Halo games made from now on (or movies) just won't be Halo to me.

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
cairocat said:
I'm torn between a deep urge to see my favorite series made into a breathtaking motion picture and a heartbreaking realization that it will be shit.
Yeah, I'm thinking similar thoughts.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Since Master Chief never takes off his helmet, does it really matter who plays him? Get a stuntman to wear the armor, and get the person who does his voice in the games to do it in the movie. Better yet, get him to wear the suit too. I think that would be a good idea.

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Since Master Chief never takes off his helmet, does it really matter who plays him? Get a stuntman to wear the armor, and get the person who does his voice in the games to do it in the movie. Better yet, get him to wear the suit too. I think that would be a good idea.
Do you know what the guy who voiced him looks like? Unless he's 7 foot tall, and a real solid build, it wouldn't work. I'm in favour of him voicing it, and then getting a stunt guy to act it out.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, after all, when I want my mom to love a video game I just show her the movie. That's why she loves Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, and...oh wait, NO SHE DOESN'T. That has got the be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Do they honestly think a Halo movie is gonna make mothers of Halo freaks suddenly swoon for Master Chief?

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
So we're sooner going to see a Halo movie, then a decent movie which Halo took inspiration from?

That's like saying we're going to make a WoW movie, BEFORE we make a good DnD lore based movie!

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
AceAngel said:
So we're sooner going to see a Halo movie, then a decent movie which Halo took inspiration from?

That's like saying we're going to make a WoW movie, BEFORE we make a good DnD lore based movie!
Yeah, but isn't Sam Raimi attached to direct that. Cast Bruce Campbell as all humans and all orcs. That's how you make the monies

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Strain42 said:
AceAngel said:

Yeah, but isn't Sam Raimi attached to direct that. Cast Bruce Campbell as all humans and all orcs. That's how you make the monies
Dear World,

I hate ye.

Regards, Human # 5B 100M 3T 1U

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Oh boy, I can't wait for the award winning story and it's deep interesting characters.

I like Halo but it's something that can only really work as a game. At least that's what I think.