Microsoft banning XB1 players for swearing?

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
So I'm going through my subs on YT and I stumble on a video by AlphaOmegaSin talking about this. He posted the source link, so here it is for you:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/25/xbox-one-microsoft-is-reportedly-banning-users-from-using-skype-and-upload-studio-for-swearing/comment-page-1/#comment-566888

But in a nutshell, Microsoft is levying bans on XB1 users apparently for using profanity either on Skype and in their Upload Studio feature. An infraction on either nets you a 24 hour time out where you're unable to use either or. MS is being contacted on this by the source site, so I suppose we'll hear something more detailed...or not.

Now to my two cents on the topic...as if EVERYONE didn't see this coming? First MS talks about how they wouldn't be monitoring users. So then how the hell do you suppose they're able to know when you're going all potty mouth playing a game? Even the most diehard MS fanboy has to admit this is some next level fucked up shit right here...but this is how it begins, and before you know it all those policies that they said they weren't going to be doing will be slipped back in eventually.

What it is I'm reading though, amazingly, is that even if this is blatant disregard of 1st Ammendment rights...it falls under their terms of service and might possibly not even be able to be reversed or changed! So pay $500 for a console, $50 a year to play online and you STILL have to conduct yourself how they want you to, or you get "blue screened"?

The defecation has hit the oscillation.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Hehehe....

I'm sorry but for all the flak '12 yr old COD cry babie boys' they're really few and far between. There was no reason to put this here.

At least I can now friend the ESA now right?

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
Angelblaze said:
Hehehe....

I'm sorry but for all the flak '12 yr old COD cry babie boys' they're really few and far between. There was no reason to put this here.

At least I can now friend the ESA now right?
Don't exactly follow the joke here. But regardless, I don't at all side with the foulmouthed, abusive majority of the online gaming community. What I don't condone here is the bait & switch tactics being pulled off by MS by doing this, being able to do this, and not telling their customers that they could and would do this. It's just bad business...expected by Microsoft...but bad business nonetheless.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Thr33X said:
What it is I'm reading though, amazingly, is that even if this is blatant disregard of 1st Ammendment rights...
Companies aren't obligated to allow you free speech. Microsoft isn't the government and they can control their service however they see fit. If you don't like that, then your options include trying to get them to change their policy or choosing not to use the service.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Thr33X said:
1st Ammendment rights
OK you brought up your rights as a reason, I stop taking you seriously.
OT: I hear it wasn't Microsoft banning people, it was Skype banning people from Skype for swearing on Skype.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Tom_green_day said:
OT: I hear it wasn't Microsoft banning people, it was Skype banning people from Skype for swearing on Skype.
It also involves Microsoft's Upload Studio. IIRC Microsoft owns Skype, so wouldn't it be Microsoft banning people if it was just Skype?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.835000-Xbox-One-Skype-and-Streaming-Apps-May-Ban-Users-for-Swearing

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I already covered this topic in the news post about it here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.835000-Xbox-One-Skype-and-Streaming-Apps-May-Ban-Users-for-Swearing#20438600] but since nobody bothered to read it, I suppose it's worth repeating again here.

They are not monitoring private calls, it was for "excessive profanity" on the Upload Studio app. Admittedly the fact that they also ban people from Skype is idiotic, but I can see why they might ban people from Upload Studio if they are swearing like a sailor over clips of a lower age-rated game - FIFA or Zoo Tycoon being examples, since these are games that children would be playing/watching.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
Thr33X said:
1st Ammendment rights
I brought up rights not as MY reason, but as A reason. I'm not a Microsoft user so this doesn't affect me in the respect of feeling "violated" but I'd imagine there are plenty of unaware XB1 users right now do feel that way...if you took the time to read the very post above yours you'd see my stance, but the smarmy tone of your post, plus the abhorrent misinformation you suggest doesn't warrant any validation on my part.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
madwarper said:
Thr33X said:
I brought up rights not as MY reason, but as A reason.
A reason... Of what? Do you know what the 1st Amendment actually says?
Thoroughly aware actually. So of all that was posted I'm lead to believe that one part is the thing that people are soaking in more? *Makes mental note to never state anything regarding rights and privleges on Escapist forums* I swear this place is becoming too political to be considered a gaming forum anymore.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Good riddence ( not like i 'm buying a xbone anyways). I for one welcome this with open arms . I have no problem with swearing , but in an online enviorment it's annoying. Especially when everyone else can hear you.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Thr33X said:
Tom_green_day said:
Thr33X said:
1st Ammendment rights
I brought up rights not as MY reason, but as A reason. I'm not a Microsoft user so this doesn't affect me in the respect of feeling "violated" but I'd imagine there are plenty of unaware XB1 users right now do feel that way...if you took the time to read the very post above yours you'd see my stance, but the smarmy tone of your post, plus the abhorrent misinformation you suggest doesn't warrant any validation on my part.
Your first amendment rights aren't recognized by companies. You waive your rights and agree to follow whatever their policy is upon agreeing to the terms and conditions. So its not a reason

On that note, this is probably for the best as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps forxing some restraint on users will ensure a more enjoyable experience for others. Xbox has a bad reputation for potty mouthed users anyways and could use a clean up.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Thr33X said:
madwarper said:
Thr33X said:
I brought up rights not as MY reason, but as A reason.
A reason... Of what? Do you know what the 1st Amendment actually says?
Thoroughly aware actually. So of all that was posted I'm lead to believe that one part is the thing that people are soaking in more? *Makes mental note to never state anything regarding rights and privleges on Escapist forums* I swear this place is becoming too political to be considered a gaming forum anymore.
Well, if you're going to try to defend yourself using the Constitution, then you'd better be prepared to defend yourself when people question your interpretation of the Constitution. The bottom line is, you're applying it to a company, which the wording of the First Amendment doesn't include:

First Amendment of the Constitution said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Unless you are able to find a Supreme Court ruling that has stated that the entire First Amendment, or at the very least just the "free speech" part, also applies to businesses, then you can't use the First Amendment as a criticism of Microsoft, and that's what people are trying to tell you. You brought it up when you mentioned the First Amendment, so don't get angry at everyone else for extending that part of the conversation.

Keep in mind, though, it is actually common practice for businesses to ban certain language in their store, on their forums, etc. Microsoft is hardly the only one doing this. I'd imagine that Sony and Nintendo have their own anti-profanity practices.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Thr33X said:
I swear this place is becoming too political to be considered a gaming forum anymore.
Except it has nothing to do with politics. I mean, if you wanna get technical, you're the one that brought politics into this and it's everyone else saying "Politics has nothing to do with this."