Microsoft Brings Achievements To Visual Studio

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Microsoft Brings Achievements To Visual Studio

In its ongoing quest to incentivize every facet of human existence with largely meaningless numerical scores and shiny badges, Microsoft has added Xbox 360-style Achievements to Visual Studio.

For those of you who just enjoy videogames and don't give a toss where they come from, Visual Studio is an industry-standard integrated development environment. In layman's terms, it's the program that game makers use to make the games you know and love.

As with all things however, it lacked certain inherent motivational tools to keep users on task (aside from "you'll be fired if you don't keep coding"), thus Microsoft's new line of Achievements. For the most part, they function identically to their Xbox 360 counterparts, only instead of asking users to kill 10,000 enemies, the Visual Studio Achievements task coders with mundane program-specific goals such as writing "a class with public, private, protected and internal members" or coding on the weekend.

The full list of Achievements can be found on Microsoft's Channel 9 website [http://channel9.msdn.com/achievements/visualstudio], but before you all scamper over there, eager to artificially inflate yet another arbitrary score and thus add some semblance of meaning to your life, I've got more words to throw at you.

Alright, so I'm as big a fan of the Xbox Live Achievement system as anyone. I think it offers a nice, running storyline for a player's ongoing experience with the console. I also like that it's been adopted in various forms by other gaming companies. That said, applying Achievements to Visual Studio gives me an eerie feeling.

By applying this gamification-lite concept to the program that originally spawned the games that originally spawned the gamification-lite concept, Microsoft has created a giant, geeky Ouroboros, that won't be content until it devours 15,000 feet of its own tail and a happy notification appears heralding the 25 gamerscore points it just earned.

We're through the looking glass here people.

2ndblackjedi

Sep 12, 2008
I'm gonna race my friends in my Game Programming course to see who will get all the 0 point achievements first.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
You know, I'm actually taking an Advanced Visual Basic class this semester. Never thought I'd earn achievements for a class... you know, Microsoft may be on to something here.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Overall, this sounds pretty weird. However, the fact that there are several 0 point achievements for stuff you shouldn't do amuses me greatly.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I quite like the one for using 3 different swear words in one file. Seems easy enough, just write something like "shit fuck ass" and done!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
It's a good idea, I say. Relatively-minor rewards for doing things should be awarded in every facet of life.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Brilliant. This will help keep wages down; why pay people to do their job properly when you can give them an "achievement" which costs nothing instead? Hooray for skinner box exploitation techniques!

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
[Achievement rewarded "Double the pleasure, double the fun" created an achievement in Visual Studio.]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
What? What? WHAT? As someone who uses visual studio on a regular basis I can safely say this is probably the single stupidest thing I have heard all day. Why? Who thought this was a good idea? I can't just... ARGHHHH!!!

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Seems weird.. As a developer who uses Visual Studio (sadly not 2010 because my company sucks) I don't see many practical uses for these achievements. It feels like it may be mimicking the biggest "problem" people have with achievements, in that they are not really integrated into the gameplay experience and instead encourage grinding for points.

They're definitely not for every programming scenario. If I had to deal with a solution with 50 projects in it I think I'd shoot myself..

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
*remembers extra credits episode about gamification*

Oh mah gud, tha future is here.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Job Security: Write 20 single letter class level variables in one file."

I think I just died a little insiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
praetor_alpha said:
I wonder how much code that will be written for these will end up on the Daily WTF.
<link=http://inedo.com/downloads/submit-to-wtf>Many, many of them.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Wish they made this back when I was coding with a couple buddies 3 years ago, might have given us something to do. :)