Microsoft Brings the Shame to Xbox Live Cheaters

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
D_987 said:
Wayne Insane said:
D_987 said:
You people do realize their talking about ACHIEVEMENT cheats here - not in-game exploit cheats, right?
Excuse my ignorance here, but what are achievement cheats?Do you like, enter a code and get all the Gamerpoints for the Game?
I thought they would punish people who found a way to play in Godmode in multiplayer or something...
Its to do with modding your console - hacking into it and then downloading the achievment files off the Internet - their are whole Internet communities dedicated to this sort of thing...
Oh, ok thanks.
But seriously why would you do that.I mean, I personally get a good feeling when I look at my Gamertag and see that I thge Achievement for beating Ninja Gaiden 2 on hard(oh yeah, I have ;)),but really, did you ever look at somebodys Gamertag and said :"Wow, this dude has 10.000 gamerpoints, I bet he get's all the Cicks!"?I certainly didn't.

Mar 26, 2008
scotth266 said:
If they're cheating in multiplayer: go right ahead. Anyone who does that deserves it.

Edit:

As someone below has pointed out to me: this is likely more Achievement cracks than actual cheating. In which case, heck yeah they deserve it. Pumping up your gamerscore is a jerk thing to do.
Agreed.

Damn dirty apes! *shakes fist*

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
scotth266 said:
If they're cheating in multiplayer: go right ahead. Anyone who does that deserves it.

Edit:

As someone below has pointed out to me: this is likely more Achievement cracks than actual cheating. In which case, heck yeah they deserve it. Pumping up your gamerscore is a jerk thing to do.
Agreed.

Damn dirty apes! *shakes fist*
Yeah, those damn dirty ap- wait. What was that noise?

*Gorilla jumps out and mauls scotth266*

AUUUUGH THE AGOOOONY!

But yeah, if you pump up your gamerscore, you impress no-one, and also irritate those who work hard to get the achievements you spent 5 minutes cracking.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
Malygris said:
On the other hand, cheating in videogames is lame and you shouldn't be doing it, so on the whole this sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Woah there, Mr. Opinion Pants, hold the phone. You telling me you've never opened the console in a game before? You've never no-cliped to see an area you otherwise couldn't? Never God-Moded just for the sheer fun of mowing down baddies knowing they're powerless to stop you? Never turned fog-of-war off to see if that cheating know-it-all computer player had a forward base somewhere?

If so, I've gotta say I'm impressed. I think you're silly for not using something they've actually put in the game at some point (often times for comedic effect), but I'm still impressed.
I'm sure everyone has done something or another as far as cheating while they are offline. That's not the issue. It's when people start using modified coding to their advantage in an online game that is the problem.

fix-the-spade said:
Singing Gremlin said:
Well, overcharging them is kinda illegal, I think. Plus, this way the cheaters do still pay (admittedly probably on a new account), as opposed to driving off paying customers, which might not be a great sales tactic even if they are dirty cheaters.
Not illegal at all, you just put in the terms of use that all XBL players are aware what will happen and that by signing up they agree to it. Given how many people (just don't bother to) read the terms of service I'd bet the only people who notice would be the ones caught out by it.
What if it's a 12 year old? You can't expect his parents to pay that amount just because of some exploit he happened to find. That is unreasonable. Account suspension, on the other hand, would work great.

Besides, something involving a 1000% increase in billing would have to clearly be marked in any service agreement, mainly to prevent people from skipping over it, and to prevent any lawsuits. And I'd have to think the person would have to be 18+, which would be great, no more kids on Live, but it limits them as a game console company and they certainly don't want that.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Hot Damn! I want this tag SOOOOOO much! Its like in Link's Awakening when you steal from the shop, and later in the game everybody calls you THIEF. Its priceless.

Remember kids: Negative attention is still attention!

Note- I do not cheat and do not endorse cheating. But some people might go out of their way to get this tag.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
SuperMse said:
Note- I do not cheat and do not endorse cheating. But some people might go out of their way to get this tag.
And in doing so would accomplish - what, some temporary satisfaction from "going against the man"?

Then, of course, they realize that no one will ever want to play an XBL match with a known cheater.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
zoozilla said:
SuperMse said:
And in doing so would accomplish - what, some temporary satisfaction from "going against the man"?

Then, of course, they realize that no one will ever want to play an XBL match with a known cheater.
Yes, I realize this- I was only joking, I don't want to be labeled as a cheater and am sure most people wouldn't want to be called cheaters either. But the people who would actively seek out this tag wouldn't think things through as thoroughly as you have.

Se7enUpMustang

Apr 7, 2010
I dont have anything against cheating in singleplayer games (i dont cheat at all singleplayer or not) but as soon as you Cheat in any way and if affects my or anyone elses gameplay expirience then I think you should be punished, a person that wins a multi game by cheating wont stop doing it because they got a warning, they will keep doing it thinking if they are careful they wont get caught again. They need to be console banned end of story. As for the people that glitch they gamerscores they should get their ability to earn achievements permenantly disabled and their score reset to zero. I think this would at least lower the number of cheaters to a more acceptable level. The idea of getting rid of all cheaters in rediculous because its impossible.

The idea that everyone that plays xbox or videogames in general has cheated in some way is stupid, Ive been gaming since i was 10 and i havent cheated once, if there was some reward or unlockable item that i wanted i tried to earn it, if i didnt have the ability to get it then i dealt with it like everyone should, I moved on. If you dont have the skill or patience to get a reward wether its an achievement of an in game item then you dont deserve it.

Se7enUpMustang proud owner of 36,105 legit gamerpoints.

PessimistOwl

Jan 19, 2010
I find this idea won't work actually. Think about it, if your gamerscore is reset to zero, what's to stop the person from adding another profile on their xbox with xbox live capabilities. It's not like you would be losing anything, and all of your friends on the cheating profile will no longer wish to be friends (unless they came into contact with you over cheating, or better yet, know you). This won't work honestly.

DPutna17

Nov 18, 2009
Ha I had this happen to a friend of mine. Serves him right. He had his gamerscore modded and was constantly trying to get into modded lobbies in mw2. However give it a month someone will almost definitely find a way around it.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Malygris said:
On the other hand, cheating in videogames is lame and you shouldn't be doing it, so on the whole this sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Woah there, Mr. Opinion Pants, hold the phone. You telling me you've never opened the console in a game before? You've never no-cliped to see an area you otherwise couldn't? Never God-Moded just for the sheer fun of mowing down baddies knowing they're powerless to stop you? Never turned fog-of-war off to see if that cheating know-it-all computer player had a forward base somewhere?

If so, I've gotta say I'm impressed. I think you're silly for not using something they've actually put in the game at some point (often times for comedic effect), but I'm still impressed.
Nope, never have.

You do, however, bring up a valid point. If your cheating has no bearing on anything but your own enjoyment - if you don't rack up any Achievements, if you're not playing online, etc. - then there's really no harm in it. This, however, would appear to specifically be targeting those situations that DO affect other players, in which case I say, do the crime, do the time.

And with that our of the way; yeah sure they deserve it. How will Microsoft know if they cheated tough? Using glitches etc etc....