Microsoft Brings the Shame to Xbox Live Cheaters

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
You people do realize their talking about ACHIEVEMENT cheats here - not in-game exploit cheats, right?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
This: http://www.freelanceastronauts.com/view.php?id=136
and this: http://www.freelanceastronauts.com/view.php?id=538
is why you'd wanna use cheats in single player games.

Padfoot13

Aug 14, 2008
Simply using a strategy that is hard to counter act or works really well has players labeling other players as cheaters. I think that if this is to be real, then they will definitly have to make sure not from gamers themselfs, but from admins too. Even if they use in game video or screen shots.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
SonicSoulstrike96 said:
using cheats that they put in game for you to use isn't really cheating.
That's entirely my point. What he's described are exploits, things that aren't meant to be in the game, but were found and, well, exploited. 'Cheats,' ie. cheat codes, are legitimate as they are actually built into the game and, for the most part, only used in single player.

I'm only talking of confused terminology, not defending people who don't have enough skill to get an achievement themselves.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
D_987 said:
You people do realize their talking about ACHIEVEMENT cheats here - not in-game exploit cheats, right?
Whoops, so you mean this is more about Acievement cracks than actual cheating? Geez, the OP coulda made that clearer...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Lord_Panzer said:
Malygris said:
On the other hand, cheating in videogames is lame and you shouldn't be doing it, so on the whole this sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Woah there, Mr. Opinion Pants, hold the phone. You telling me you've never opened the console in a game before? You've never no-cliped to see an area you otherwise couldn't? Never God-Moded just for the sheer fun of mowing down baddies knowing they're powerless to stop you? Never turned fog-of-war off to see if that cheating know-it-all computer player had a forward base somewhere?

If so, I've gotta say I'm impressed. I think you're silly for not using something they've actually put in the game at some point (often times for comedic effect), but I'm still impressed.
Nope, never have.

You do, however, bring up a valid point. If your cheating has no bearing on anything but your own enjoyment - if you don't rack up any Achievements, if you're not playing online, etc. - then there's really no harm in it. This, however, would appear to specifically be targeting those situations that DO affect other players, in which case I say, do the crime, do the time.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Wow, MS is going after people who deserve to be harassed?

Did they run out of gay people or something?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
Malygris said:
On the other hand, cheating in videogames is lame and you shouldn't be doing it, so on the whole this sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Woah there, Mr. Opinion Pants, hold the phone. You telling me you've never opened the console in a game before? You've never no-cliped to see an area you otherwise couldn't? Never God-Moded just for the sheer fun of mowing down baddies knowing they're powerless to stop you? Never turned fog-of-war off to see if that cheating know-it-all computer player had a forward base somewhere?

If so, I've gotta say I'm impressed. I think you're silly for not using something they've actually put in the game at some point (often times for comedic effect), but I'm still impressed.
That was quite a thorough burn, no? Care to give him some water?

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Crackdown applies a very interesting solution to this scenario.

Once you're done with the game, you're allowed to cheat. You can have access to all weapons, vehicles etc, but you're not allowed to save your game or earn any achievements.

I have nothing against cheating, especially when it opens up new gameplay possibilities, not to mention the fun of it. However, cheating online in a multiplayer game is a whole different issue.

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
D_987 said:
Excuse my ignorance here, but what are achievement cheats?Do you like, enter a code and get all the Gamerpoints for the Game?
I thought they would punish people who found a way to play in Godmode in multiplayer or something...

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Two things, well three really. First I own a PS3 so this is no worries to me. Second when they say glitches, does that mean when you climb on stuff in COD4 that maybe isn't built for climbing on? And thirdly if they have "I'm a dirty rotten filthy cheating dog" added to their Gamertag, that would be slightly Epic/Legendary (on MS part).

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Problem is, what if people are cheating on private games and M$ detects it? Cheating in a private game should be perfectly acceptable.

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
What exactly is the punishment then, Is it that little guy in the bottom right, does your name become CheaterMcCheat or something else.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Wayne Insane said:
D_987 said:
Excuse my ignorance here, but what are achievement cheats?Do you like, enter a code and get all the Gamerpoints for the Game?
I thought they would punish people who found a way to play in Godmode in multiplayer or something...
Its to do with modding your console - hacking into it and then downloading the achievment files off the Internet - their are whole Internet communities dedicated to this sort of thing...

Obviously they mean in-game exploits as well, but thats much harder to find out (Microsoft will warn you if a moderator sees you in-game performing a glitch) and the terrible report system does not help. They have however punished people in the past (including someone on my XBL friends list) because they gained achievements in would have been impossible for them to get fairly - these mostly extend to multi-player achievements, but some of the big cheats obviously have single player achievements too.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Oddly enough, I don't think the stupid little 10 year olds will care if they have a tag on the end of their name... although they may care about their gamerscore...

Oh well, at least Microsoft is trying.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
hoo boy microsoft are evil geniuses! lol not realz but it is a nice step to make sure that you NEVAR CHEAT EVAR! since every 360 gamer i no has cheated at one point, i wouldnt be surprised if they stopped now

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
fearofthemind said:
As long as they don't to this to people who use cheat codes on singleplayer games, then I'm with this.
Agreed. Cheating in singleplayer is either for exploration into the guts of the game, or just to relieve a bit of boredom in the game. Cheating in multiplayer is disgusting and frankly antisocial. If it is really that important to you to win a multiplayer game by cheating, then you need to get out of the house more, and maybe some help.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Gamer137 said:
Problem is, what if people are cheating on private games and M$ detects it? Cheating in a private game should be perfectly acceptable.
First, it's MS, not Mdollarsign. Just because Gates was intelligent doesn't mean they need to be hated.

Second, MS does not record games, they have no way of knowing if actual cheat codes are being used unless someone complains. If someone complains it's because they're too lazy to find a different game and think anybody deviating from the norm should be reported.

Third, this isn't about those kinds of cheats. It's about exploits in the game which lead to advantages not available to players who don't use said exploit, ie the fair players. I'm not sure if private games would ever have any issues with this, but this is for online pub games. MS is trying their darndest to make it as fair as possible for the players who pay for their service.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Well, at least Microsoft did something right. I was getting tired of their crap. We sent in our xbox to get fixed, only to have it take a month to get back and for it to break a week later.