Microsoft Buys Skype

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Buys Skype

Microsoft has dropped a cool $8.5 billion to purchase internet phone service provider Skype [http://www.skype.com/], which it plans to integrate into Xbox Live, Windows Phone and other products.

Rumors about a possible Skype acquisition by Facebook, Google or Cisco have been floating around since last week, but it's Microsoft who ultimately walked away with the prize, albeit at a very hefty cost. 8.5 billion smackers makes the Skype purchase the company's biggest, surpassing the $6 billion it blew in 2007 on aQuantive, and it has some analysts suggesting that the company spent way too much on it.

Skype has a massive worldwide audience of 660 million but the vast majority of its services are free and while the company brought in revenues of roughly $860 million for 2010, it still managed to record a loss of $7 million. eBay bought the company for $2.6 billion in 2005 but wrote down its value by $1.4 billion just two years later and sold off 70 percent of its stake.

"If I was in Microsoft's shoes, I think there are better deals they could have done with $8 billion," said Tim Daniels, technology sector strategist at Olivetree Securities. "With Skype, only ten percent to 12 percent of customers pay for the service. I'd be surprised if Microsoft's stock went up on the deal."

Microsoft plans to integrate Skype connectivity into Lync, Outlook and of course Xbox Live, with support for the Xbox and Kinect platforms, Windows Phone and other devices. It will also continue to support and invest in Skype on non-Microsoft platforms. "Together we will create the future of real-time communications so people can easily stay connected to family, friends, clients and colleagues anywhere in the world," Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said in a statement.

"Microsoft has undoubtedly overpaid for Skype in the short term, but potentially not in the long term," noted Informa Telecoms and Media Senior Analyst Giles Cottle. "Buying Skype gives Microsoft the ability to do whatever it wants with voice to an audience of 700 million users. That kind of scale does not come cheap."

Sources: The Globe and Mail [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/may/10/microsoft-skype-deal-shocks-analysts]

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
$8.5 billion! Woooo. That is a lot of smackers.

Well, I suppose they know more about what they are doing than lil ol me. It does make me wonder if they plan to charge for more services or something, or perhaps load everything up with more ads in order to recoup that hefty price.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Yay for Skype on Xbox Live.

Lots of Worrying for Skype clients on Windows and Android getting replaced with "Windows MSN Live! MessageTalker (Skype(tm) enabled)"

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
I can't help but wonder where and how Skype fits into Avatar Kinect, Lync, and other existing or in-flight voice related products.

Color me skeptical.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Well, if one thing is for sure, it's that XBox users won't get Skype for free (apparently non-Gold members can't even send each other messages). Though I'll be very glad if XBL users end up paying up for the free service on my PC. >.> If it remains free. Otherwise, there's always Google Talk.

Edit: Oh wait, apparently they non-Gold members can send messages. My bad. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
Microsoft really need to work on amalgamating what they already have, far too many services under different names that do roughly the same things but aren't 'compatible' with each other.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Just another step towards Microsoft's all in one internet media service. With Hulu, Netflix and Skype they are now in direct competition with local content providers but with national backing. Have Skype run through the Kinect sensor and MS can replace the DVR, Telephone and DVD/BluRay player with a single box.

Imagine the stock value of the only electronic device you'll ever need connected to your TV monitor.

iliekmudkips

Mar 30, 2011
Eh, It's no big deal. I mean, Microsoft is paying waaaay too much for a free program; they'll be lucky to get 8 million of their dollars back in the next decade.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Metal Brother said:
I can't help but wonder where and how Skype fits into Avatar Kinect, Lync, and other existing or in-flight voice related products.

Color me skeptical.
Oh really? Shouldn't I be coloring you, SKYPEtical?

I'll be quiet now...

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
If at first you don't succeed, buy, buy out someone else's hard work and make money off it? Huh.

nuqneh1

Aug 15, 2010
While I dislike this news, I'm glad their keeping multi-platform support. I just hope its in the long run.

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
Welp! there goes another decent free service to be intergrated in to (what is probably going to be) a shitty subscription service.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
gunner1905 said:
nooo, my linux skype client
why must skype fall to microsoft
Tell me about it, I'm as scared for my linux client as you are for yours.
Thank God for WINE. Even if my USB webcam won't work with it, at least I'll still be able to talk.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
It does synergise well with other other tech Microsoft has intrest in, and it has a huge existing userbase they have to be think about pushing towards their other products/services. It's all part of Microsoft's efforts to move into service/content provider - which is exactly the same territory Apple and Google have been working at.

It's crazy how fast Apple, Google and Microsoft have been maneuvering/making aquistions in recent years. The phone companies and tv providers have to be getting worried.