Microsoft Buys Splosion Man Developer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Microsoft Buys Splosion Man Developer

Over the past few years Twisted Pixel has been done some great work on the Xbox Live Arcade. Microsoft noticed, and now the developer belongs to it.

Backstory: Twisted Pixel is a well-regarded developer of such modern hits as Splosion Man and Comic Jumper. Microsoft is a multinational technology corporation most familiar to you folk for their Xbox 360 game console and Windows operating system.

As of this morning, the former is a part of the latter.

"Twisted Pixel is pleased to announce today that our studio has officially become a part of Microsoft Studios," reads a post on the official Twisted Pixel website [http://www.twistedpixelgames.com/]. "This acquisition marks a momentous occasion for Twisted Pixel as it will better equip the team to create new IP and gameplay experiences for our fans while under the ever expanding universe of Xbox entertainment."

Likewise, Microsoft Studios corporate VP had nothing but diplomatic praise for the developer. "Twisted Pixel has an incredible track record of innovative, critically acclaimed, and most importantly, fun, games," Spencer said. "Microsoft Studios is home to cutting-edge entertainment experiences, and the incredible creativity of the Twisted Pixel team will help drive further innovation around Kinect and Xbox LIVE."

As to what this means for you, the consumer, the truth is that it likely means very little. Granted, it guarantees that Twisted Pixel's future titles will not appear on the PlayStation 3, but the developer was always best known for its Xbox Live offerings anyway.

On a positive note, having Microsoft-level corporate backing should allow Twisted Pixel to do things it was unable to do as an unaffiliated entity. Or, at the very least, it should allow the developer to put together a Comic Jumper sequel before I'm too jaded to laugh at Todd McFarlane's 90s-era art style.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, great for them, I guess. I just hope that Microsoft won't get in their way and diminish their creativity, because they have that in spades.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Not sure about "Microsoft Studios is home to cutting-edge entertainment experiences", but i am glad Twisted Pixel is getting they're deserved attention. They do make original and fun to play games. I just hope they don't get rushed on they're products, blocked to they're creativity and changed into something worst, has Microsoft often likes to do...

I'll never forgive you for what you did to Conker Microsoft...

Still picking the sides of the devil, a much worst scenario would be if TPixel caught the attention of EA games.... then i would know that the company would have a couple years before death...

I just hope with this new deal they do it liek in the end of Captain Smile game... you know.. the big photoshop epicly awesome ending!!!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
And so it continues! The acquisition of smaller, better, more awesome companies by larger companies who don't care about innovation and just want to make the same games over...

And over...

And over...

To toss more kindling onto their large money wad throne of doomed innovation and screaming indie developers.

If only all the indie developers banded together to create one badass indie company that made games about Tolkin's Dwarfs armed with lazer guided donkeys fighting Super Mutants and hilarious gangsters in purple suits and rediculous hats.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well... if this has happened now i cant do more than wish them farewell and hope like hell they dont go the way of certain other Microsoft-owned dev studios.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
As long as the Beard jokes and Arnie references keep coming then i'm fine with it

Please god let them do a Comic Jumper 2 (hopefully with another manga type level)

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
TimeLord said:
And so it continues! The acquisition of smaller, better, more awesome companies by larger companies who don't care about innovation and just want to make the same games over...

And over...

And over...

To toss more kindling onto their large money wad throne of doomed innovation and screaming indie
If only all the indie developers banded together to create one
Larger companies who don't care about innovation and just want to make the same games over...

And over...

And over...

And the cycle continues

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well that's nice for their paychecks but not cool for the games, if anyone should have stayed independent it's these lads.

At lest they will have a happy retirement.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
TimeLord said:

And over...

And over...

To toss more kindling onto their large money wad throne of doomed innovation and screaming indie developers.

If only all the indie developers banded together to create one badass indie company that made games about Tolkin's Dwarfs armed with lazer guided donkeys fighting Super Mutants and hilarious gangsters in purple suits and rediculous hats.
If they did that you'd either have a smoldering bankrupt husk of a company or they'd be doing the same thing in five years.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I like how a studio can cope by itself but when it joins another company it can open many possible opportunities but when it's Microsoft that takes you in you can bet you just signed for your coffin.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
ultimateownage said:
New! Splosion' Man Sports! For Kinect!
Still, they did the Gunslinger exclusively for Kinect before this deal so if they do another Kinect game we cant exaclty blame Microsoft, although if it goes with the "Sports" shovelware theme then we can blame the hell out of it.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
So like all other MSGS subsidiaries they'll either be dissolved into other studios, be sold off to some other company or be able to break free from being a subsidiary in about five or so years.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Or, at the very least, it should allow the developer to put together a Comic Jumper sequel before I'm too jaded to laugh at Todd McFarlane's 90s-era art style.
I guess you never picked up a Spawn comic... since the art style is nothing like Todd's.

OT:
I'm not surprised. Microsoft is floundering a bit on the international level. They will probably start buying up properties like crazy to make their stock look better.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
OK, so now I am seriously pissed off. Everything cool seems to be bought by Microsoft. Archos, Nokia and now Twisted Pixel. It bothers me.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Congratulations Microsoft, you bought a one hit wonder that hasn't put out anything that's fun to play since The Maw. Good luck with that one.

Honestly, all the people feeling bad for Twisted Pixel makes me laugh. I feel bad for Microsoft. This was not a wise use of their money.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
While it's nice when the little guys make it big, it always seem to kill the creativity a bit. Plus, let's not forget what has happened in the past with publishers like EA for instance (such as Pandemic and Bioware) that makes me really scared whenever any developer I like gets anywhere near a big name publisher.

This is great news for M$ though, this may mean they'll release two first party games next year! Wow!