Microsoft Confirms It Won't Reward Early Xbox One Adopters

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Microsoft Confirms It Won't Reward Early Xbox One Adopters

Xbox One buyers, don't expect any freebies from Microsoft for supporting the console at launch.

With Microsoft's announcement yesterday that it's making a cheaper, Kinect-less Xbox One available in June, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134456-Xbox-One-to-Get-Kinect-Free-Version-for-399-in-June] some people might understandably be upset that late buyers will be able to buy the console at a lesser price less than a year of release. If you're one of the many early buyers of the Xbox One and was hoping for some sort of reward for your loyalty, sadly, there's none coming. This was confirmed by Eurogamer in a statement sent by a Microsoft spokesperson when it asked whether any bonus can be expected for early Xbox One buyers.

No. As with many first generation products, the offerings can be expected to change and evolve over time. Kinect remains an integral part of our vision. Xbox One is better with Kinect, making games, TV and entertainment come alive with premium experiences.

Honestly, expecting any sort of reward other than being able to play the games early and having Kinect with your console might have been a tad much. Of course, it wouldn't hurt if Microsoft gave a free avatar, digital game or something either, too. But that might be construed the wrong way by some and think that Microsoft does indeed regret forcing to bundle the Kinect with the Xbox One.

While this might be seen as bad news to some, don't forget that as part of Microsoft's news deluge yesterday, the company also announced that it's dropping the Xbox Live Gold requirement for Netflix, Hulu and other apps. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134446-Microsoft-to-Drop-Xbox-Live-Gold-Requirement-For-Netflix-Hulu-Update]

For those who bought an Xbox One early, are you expecting some sort of reward from Microsoft or is being an early adopter and getting to play the games before anyone else enough?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-microsoft-wont-reward-early-xbox-one-adopters-following-Kinect-less-console]

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Just chuck them a free game or some store credit. You had a loyal fan base who swallowed your BS about the kinect being necessary, now less than a year later you're removing that device to create a lower price in an admission that you were wrong and clawing for more money. If you really had faith in your kinect you could always chuck them a free kinect game to demonstrate how good the thing they invested in is.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Holy entitlement Batman! Early adopters are just that - they bought the console when it was first launched, do they expect to be congratulated on that?

That's like complaining about some item you bought and then seeing it on sale a few months later. I work for a company that does put its items on sale regularly; the amount of (quite frankly, entitled) people writing in demanding that the difference between what they paid, and what the item is now being sold for, be transferred into their bank accounts. Unbelievable.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I cant say i feel sorry for them. For two reasons.

First is because it feeds the beast we call "entitlement".

Second is because i have no sympathy for those who rushed out to buy it anyway. The only plausible reason i could come up with for getting a One at launch was to get a head start practicing Killer Instinct for Evo. And needless to say this would only apply to a few dozen people anyway.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so what they basically got for early adopting is a nice way to browse netflix and the option to play the second worst version of titanfall.
sounds like a fantastic deal.
on the other hand if you buy a console within 12 month of its release and don't need it for your job in some way you really deserve what you get.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Why should they? Isnt the entire purpose of an early adopter to play with the console early? They thought the price was good enough to warrant a sale so if they feel like they deserve more for what they paid they should have waited a price drop.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I can only assume that most people who bought the Xbone at launch weren't actually annoyed about the Kinect or holding a grudge about the other bullshit, which translates to people happy to buy the product. So for them it wasn't a bad deal. Besides which, they've had quite the fucking while of headstart on anyone who could have been waiting for something like this, which is at least the value of the discount.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
If you didn't want to pay more for the console than someone else months/years later, don't fucking buy it within a few months of launch. Pretty simple.

Much as I love ragging on Microsoft when given the chance, anyone who wants something from them because they're releasing a cheaper version with no Kinect can kindly go fuck themselves.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Drinking game for this thread: Take a shot every time someone says the word "entitlement".

///

Anyway, this is the price you pay as an early adopter.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Man is it weird to for anyone else to watch as Microsoft gives in to every single consumer demand? It does seem to come across very victimized here. I mean I keep feeling that the narrative is kind like the below conversation:

Xbox - "well obviously Xbox One is better with Online Connectivity, but all you entitles brats want to play off line fine."
Consumer - "ok but I still don't use my Xbox Live gold membership to do anything but watch Netflix and Hulu, can I just watch it without that? I have a few devices that can stream Netflix but I don't have to pay a separate fee there."
X - "Well obviously the subscription service is going to get you a lot of other options so..."
C - "but I mean I just don't want it"
X - "Fine! Gone. Happy?"
C - ?well? Its just that I never even really wanted Kinect, and quite frankly it creeps me out a bit. And it must cost a lot to include it.?
X - ?FINNNEEEE!!!! It?s gone! Do you want my shirt too? How about my kids as well. Now that they won?t be going to college because you ?don?t want greatness? you might as well keep them. Clearly you can take care of them with all the money you save from taking food off my table. But no your right, its creepy let?s get rid of it.?
C - ?I?m sorry man,?
X - ?NO, You know what F- you pal.?
C - ?jeez dude chill ou??
X - ?NO YOU CHILL OUT!! You?ve already taken everything from me so help me god if you take the last word too. I want you to know that I did this all for you! So that you would pay me money! FOR YOU!! And you just spit it back in my face, well you know what I?m done.? Microsoft is done! Pack it up guys we?re going because this penny pinching F&%K doesn?t want the most immersive entertainment experience possible.?
C - ?ok fine you can keep the Kinect!?
X - ?NO!!! It?s gone! It?s too late! Live with the consequences of your actions! The future is never coming now! Games are going to stay exactly the F%&$ing same for the next 100 years now because you selfishly ?Just want to play games without all the hassle? well fine there you go! I hope it was worth it!?

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
IceForce said:
Drinking game for this thread: Take a shot every time someone says the word "entitlement".

///

Anyway, this is the price you pay as an early adopter.
I think that'll be as bad as the Manowar Brothers of Metal drinking game (drink every time the words brothers and metal are sung in the song Brothers of Metal)

Eh, I don't really care about any of this but I still want an answer to a question I've not seen answered:
How does the Kinect make watching TV better?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
You don't get refunds when games go on discount on Steam. No-one repays you when the price of a car drops after it's launch years. Fatty PS3 owners didn't get money when a slim was released

And in those cases it's the same product that's cheaper. If you didn't want to own a Kinect at launch, why did you buy an xbox?

DikkieDik

Jun 14, 2010
Well what to say as an early adapter, i havent played for a while on it. I played fifa 14 on it, while my son was playin it on ps3. it was fun to see how smooth fifa played on the xbox one feels like it was made for next gen, well ps3 had long loading times, stuttering moves etc. But then you get tired of the game so i tried forza, its a good game looks good but more of the same, then i tried the zombie one, i really didnt like it, last time i turned it on was for the demo for Titanfall and it wasnt for me so there you go. Im not interested in any games that are coming out this year on the one so if anyone is looking for a second hand let me know lol.

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
No, sorry. Your 'reward' for being an XB1 early adopter is getting the XB1 before the people who waited. I generally have quite a fun time criticising Microsoft and some of its silly decisions, but they have zero obligation here.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
But early adopters were already rewarded with an achievement and a sticker on their controller... BWAHAHAHA!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Why the hell should early adopters be entitled to anything? When I bought my Xbox I knew that it would be cheaper down the road and that the Kinect would probably be gone, that's just the caveat of being an early adpoter. If you don't like it then don't buy it.

When Nintendo did the 3DS Ambassador Programme it was a nice gesture but they absolutely weren't obligated to do that. Expecting companies to owe you something for buying early is completely frigging entitled.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Where are these early access Xbox One owners you speak of? I have my DOE, I wasn't expecting something. Maybe its just the escapist making a story out of nothing.