Microsoft Confirms It Won't Reward Early Xbox One Adopters

xEightBitPlayerx

Jun 26, 2011
I've bought consoles since the Nintendo came out and never expected any return just because I've been an early adopter. Prices go down over time, it happens with most products, you don't see people go back to LG/Sony/Samsung demanding credit because the TV they bought a year ago is now reduced in price.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I don't need a reward.

I have had many hours of enjoyment and I have grown fond of the Kinect.

Genrael

Aug 18, 2009
I find it seriously interesting that they release a "kinect-free" version before they even officially release the nordic version...

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
flarty said:
Just chuck them a free game or some store credit. You had a loyal fan base who swallowed your BS about the kinect being necessary, now less than a year later you're removing that device to create a lower price in an admission that you were wrong and clawing for more money. If you really had faith in your kinect you could always chuck them a free kinect game to demonstrate how good the thing they invested in is.
[sarcasm] Um, that wasn't "BS," my friend. As the post clearly states:
Kinect remains an integral part of our vision. Xbox One is better with Kinect, making games, TV and entertainment come alive with premium experiences.
Did you see that? "INTEGRAL!" The XBONE is "BETTER WITH KINECT," so all you folks that plan on buying the kinect-less version, HA! What you're in fact doing is saddling yourself with a lesser experience by going with the XBONE. Ah...I mean, the "XBONE less the kinect." The "XBONE-less?" "X-spineless?" Um...anyway, enjoy having your games, tv, and entertainment (apparently "games" and "tv" are separate from whatever "entertainment" is) fail to "come alive" due to the lack of "premium experiences." [/sarcasm]

But no, seriously, early adopters hoped to have their faith rewarded. It didn't pan out. Live and, hopefully, learn.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why should they get anything? You buy day one, and thats what you get. But also you get your voice activation and hand waving remote control things while us late users would have to buy a kinect to get that. So really, your still getting something others dont.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Genrael said:
I find it seriously interesting that they release a "kinect-free" version before they even officially release the nordic version...
Wait, it still hasn't released outside of the first 13 countries?

You would have thought that was another mistake they would have rectified alongside Always Online, hiding Netflix behind a paywall, Kinect, the pricing...

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
This has nothing to do with early adoption and everything to do with the fact this should've been an option since launch. Microsoft just used their popularity to sell tacked on hardware that many people don't give a shit about.

Whether it was a good business move... I don't know. On one hand, they've likely made more money than they would've if they haven't done that. But it's kind of a "get more money now, lose reputation and with it, money in the future" sort of thing. So... personally, I wouldn't have gone that route. Especially as they've certainly been down in the sales race against PS4 thanks to this and lost a lot of face because of it (people are impressionable like that, especially kids who care about the console war).

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Really, Microsoft? Not even a free copy of Undertow? It's the least you could do.

I imagine Gamestop is about to get flooded with unwanted Kinects...

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
No, like somone else pointed out its like buying somthing then seeing it on sale and demanding the difference. The customer is not always right they are just entitled. And for any gamer it should have been clear that both the consoles were kinda rushed out early all the games that ppl wanted for their "next gen" are not even out yet example, watchdogs. Its all very well and good going on about the kinnect being important but i think Xbone has forgot its a games consoles 1st everything else 2nd. Thou perhaps due to the outright LIE of it being needed perhaps some store credit ? a game ?

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
xEightBitPlayerx said:
I've bought consoles since the Nintendo came out and never expected any return just because I've been an early adopter. Prices go down over time, it happens with most products, you don't see people go back to LG/Sony/Samsung demanding credit because the TV they bought a year ago is now reduced in price.
So I have absolutely no sympathy for MicroSoft and the way they handled the XB1-release (or anything to do with it for that matter) but I have to agree.
I've been playing on consoles since the Super Nintendo days and the number of times that I have gotten something extra from Nintendo/Sega/Sony/Microsoft for being an early adopter in the past was exactly ZERO.

So did you buy an XBone when it came out and are now pissed that the Kinect is not required? Well, deal with it and consider waiting a few months next time. It's not that hard.

Also, I didn't know that the Escapist Magazine considered "Angry Child Forum Post" to be an actual news item. There is such a thing called journalistic integrity and I propose young Alex Co. look it up sometime. Or go work for The Sun.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Microsoft? Do something nice for their customers?

Pardon me while I guffaw for a bit.

(guffaws for a bit, then recovers)

Customers expecting Microsoft to do something nice for them?

Pardon me while I guffaw even harder.

(guffaws until falling off the thread)

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
wow, even valve gave me an ugly hat for buying TF2 before it went F2P, i think its not completely unreasonable for xbox one early adopters to expect some sort of reward from microsoft for buying their console early

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I dont think Microsoft is under any obligation to do so. They adopted it early, they knew what they were purchasing (or were foolish enough not to) and they got what they payed for. Now it would be a nice gesture on MS's part to give them something though, maybe a free Kinect game as some one mentioned earlier to say thanks for buying it.
Also this hasnt go anything to with a false sense of entitlement on the gamers part.... If anything you could argue that it is on Microsoft's part. They did claim the Kinect was mandatory and now here we are.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
The people who bought the Xbone with the Kinnect should get an T-shirt for their avatar that has Kinnect on it.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
If the Xbox One had launched without so much controversy surrounding it beforehand, I'd be inclined to agree that the early adopters have zero claim to any special treatment. This is coming from someone who has avoided the Xbox consoles like the plague for at least the past 6 years--something both more and less difficult than you might think. But it's not like the only good faith these adopters were showing was for Microsoft to release a respectable library. They were also showing good faith for Microsoft not to go back on their word (remember all those wonderful features Microsoft wanted to implement for the players' "benefit"?). This isn't just a discount. The price drop is entirely because they took out something they said could not be taken out. If it had been a price drop of the Xbox One that was released at launch, then yeah, the early adopters would have no claim. If Microsoft had said "we may be able to release Kinect-less versions of our console sometime in the future", then the early adopters would have no claim. They didn't do either.

At least give them a free game or something, Microsoft. Even if it's just a selection from your indie store.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
GothicTwist said:
Considering that when a Similar situation happened with the origonal Xbox "early price cut to compete with the ps2" Microsoft Did compensate early Adopters quite nicely with a free controller Plus a Free game its really not unreasonable for customers to expect similar treatment when the same situation occurs again.
I'd normally agree with this, and I do disagree with those saying early adopters are taking the risk and should take that in stride. After all, there's a difference between a console that drops in price after 18 months, and one that drops in price after only 6 months.

On the other hand, this is less a price drop and more an alternative product. The $500 console is still on the market at that price, so I can absolutely see where MS is coming from.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Give Kinect owners a Kinect-themed shirt for their avatars and call it a day. People who buy the Kinectless model don't get it, people who buy the model with Kinect going forward, or get a Kinect separately after the fact, still can.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Seriously, they already gave an achievement for being an early adopter, and that's plenty. The fact that people are demanding any more than that as a reward for spending money on a product where they knew what they were getting is kinda pathetic.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I don't see why freebies were even on the table. The only time I've received any for a system price cut was when Nintendo slashed the 3DS price in their "Ambassador" program. While nice, it wasn't the main reason I initially bought the system (nor did I ask for it)

If Microsoft wanted to run a promo as part of the price cut, that's on them.

IceForce said:
Drinking game for this thread: Take a shot every time someone says the word "entitlement".
I already take shots every time someone misuses that word.
It's getting to the point where I'm going to need a Tony Stark-esque contraption for my liver.