Microsoft Confirms Phone-to-Console Multiplayer

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Microsoft Confirms Phone-to-Console Multiplayer

Windows Phone 7 owners will be able to play turn-based titles with Xbox 360 and PC players from launch, with real-time gaming "in the near future."

It has been known for some time that Microsoft's upcoming Windows Phone 7 operating system will come with built-in Xbox Live functionality, but the company has remained elusive on many of the specific details. We now know one thing for sure - at the X10 event in Toronto, Microsoft rep Greg Milligan confirmed that multiplayer gaming between Windows Phone owners and their Xbox and PC counterparts is in the works.

Due to the technical difficulties involved in the process, multiplayer will be restricted to turn-based games at launch - think board games like Catan or Scrabble. The Xbox Live infrastructure will also allow for "companion" gaming, where "you play a level on the phone and it may unlock a level or a weapon or some special achievement on the console game."

While this may sound crushing to those gamers that dream of playing Halo with their Xbox friends while riding the bus, Microsoft is certain that any technical issues will eventually be resolved. Milligan added, "We are working on real-time phone-to-console, likely initially through Wi-Fi - again, operator networks are sensitive to that ... But, yeah - absolutely working on phone-to-console real-time. That is something we're working on and expect to have in the near future."

Milligan also mentioned that multiplayer will be supported between Windows phones and PC games using the Games For Windows Live interface.

The first Windows Phone 7 handsets are scheduled for launch this Fall. The full interview, which can be watched on the right, contains a number of interesting details for those curious about the operating system.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.rgbfilter.com/?p=9013]

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Most of the times when I'm gaming and the phone rings I have "Not NOW!!!" moment.
This will only make it worse...
And then there is the name:
Windows Phone 7
Games for windows Live.
Microsoft sucks in making a name for there worthless products.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
This is... stupid. They couldn't get the Xbox 360 and PC to play nice together, and now they throw a phone into the mix?

And they really need to change the name of that phone if they are trying to compete with iPhone.
iPhone is a great name, its really easy to say, Windows Phone 7, not so much.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Dioxide20 said:
This is... stupid. They couldn't get the Xbox 360 and PC to play nice together, and now they throw a phone into the mix?
They couldn't get the 360 and PC to work together? I thought they worked fine together, but Microsoft never went ahead with it because didn't PC gamers have a stupidly better advantage than those on the Xbox because of the set up? Im sure of this lol

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Dioxide20 said:
To be fair, at least they are trying it with a genre that is more suited for such a purpose this time around. Previously, they attempted to do this with FPS games, which was a dumb idea to begin with. Turn-based games at least lend themselves better for cross-platform play.

That said, I don't expect they will have much success in trying to integrate real-time titles.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Dioxide20 said:

And they really need to change the name of that phone if they are trying to compete with iPhone.
iPhone is a great name, its really easy to say, Windows Phone 7, not so much.
Did you read either article that you are referring too? The difficulty is that pc gamers have a huge advantage in fps and other game types. It is specifically mentioned that this will only be available in turn-based games at first where that is not an issue.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Dioxide20 said:
They worked fine together, technologically. What didn't work so well was the fact that the games on the PC had to use the Games for Windows Live gaming frameworks, and PC developers didn't take them up on that. Windows Phone 7 applications, like Xbox titles, are required to use those frameworks. Also, games for the phones can be built using most of the same code and assets as XBLA titles - after you take into account the control differences.

The types of games are a big difference too. While FPS games are not a great choice for cross-platform play because of the control scheme differences, this makes absolutely no difference for games like UNO or Scrabble. At that point, all it means is that you have more people you can play against.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
Playing a modern first person shooter like Reach on a mobile phone over a wifi network at the same level as even a console? Not gonna happen this generation lol.

Feb 13, 2008
gregoryg said:
with real-time gaming "in the near future."
Uhmm...Micro$oft...

Yeah...

Virgil said:
What didn't work so well was the fact that the games on the PC had to use the Games for Windows Live gaming frameworks, and PC developers didn't take them up on that.
Which was generally because GWTF slowed your machine to a crawl, forced you to sign on for stuff you didn't need and generally went their usual DRM route of making you a criminal until you proved innocence beyond a reasonable doubt.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats a pretty neat function...I wouldnt mind if I could get that to work with iPhone

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Milligan also mentioned that multiplayer will be supported between Windows phones and PC games using the Games For Windows Live interface."

They really don't have a bloody clue, do they?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Aaaaand what about Android phones? I doubt there will be a similar app/function, but if there is, MS would actually make a smart move. I don't know anyone, except myself, that was even looking at WP7, but I got a Droid X because WP7 isn't even out. So if they want to make it worth their while, they should put it up for Android at least, becuase I don't see WP7 selling that well in the current market.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
...but we still can't play Games for Windows Live on Xbox Live servers... Why the hell not? Microsoft, you need to prioritize better.