Microsoft Doubles Gold: $120 per year.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

Microsoft Doubles Gold: $120 per year.

I'm good till 8/2022. After that? This has really killed my appetite for a Series X.

Your thoughts?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
1000% agreed

I already have a Series X ordered and my Game Pass Ultimate doesn't expire until May 2022 (I did the $1 upgrade thing and loaded up on three years of Live, the limit you can load up on). While I really do like Ultimate, I don't think I play through games fast enough to justify basically renting them for $15 a month when it takes me so long to go through games. I had planned on getting Gold once my thing expired but if they're gonna pull this kind of stunt, I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth having anything anymore. My few buddies who still game have basically abandoned online gaming and I can play my "single" online games like Dead by Daylight just as easy on PC or on the PS5 (when I inevitably get one of those too).

I really hope Xbox getting hammered for this makes them either change the idea or something. I know what they're TRYING to do (force everyone to get Game Pass since it's "only" $5 more now) but making Gold absolute horse shit rather than making Game Pass better is a shitty way to do it Microsoft. I've been a Live owner for over a decade at this point, if this isn't changed or reversed, that streak may end in May of 2022...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Having to pay for multi on consoles is one of the big reasons I just play on pc.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
What a rip off. Hope Sony doesn't jump in as well. PS+ is $30 a year for me right now.
I think I'm good till 2/2023 on PS+. And the PS5 controller supposedly is a real treat. But this kind of crap is really terrible.
It wont be as powerful as a console, but I'm thinking long term, I'm just R&R my consoles w/ small computers when my subs are done. I have a backlog of Steam games that will keep me busy for a long time.
@tippy2k2 The best thing about Game Pass is an instant library of games. I don't need it as I have been Gold for several years, as well as having a library of discs and digital owned games. They're making me give up Gold after which, I'm out about a hundred games or more. I wonder if I give up Gold for a few years, jump back in, will my right to those game be restored.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
@tippy2k2 The best thing about Game Pass is an instant library of games. I don't need it as I have been Gold for several years, as well as having a library of discs and digital owned games. They're making me give up Gold after which, I'm out about a hundred games or more. I wonder if I give up Gold for a few years, jump back in, will my right to those game be restored.
It is my understanding that your free games from Games for Gold are yours whether you have Gold/Game Pass or not. Games that you got through Game Pass are not yours and therefore you would lose access to them if you lost your Game Pass subscription (I downloaded a Game Pass game that was leaving GP because I wanted to see what would happen; it wouldn't allow me to play it, stating I don't own that game). But I am not 100% on that (and this is assuming I understood what you were asking).

Having an instant library is great (and it's allowed me to play some games I probably wouldn't have ever played like "My Friend Pedro" because there's no risk in just trying it with GP) but I just don't go through games quick enough to really need a huge instant library. I have a backlog as it is of games that I buy on sale and I will keep building that library up as games that I wanted to play drop down to the $20 spots.

But May 2022 is still a decent way away so maybe I'll change my mind once I'm looking down the barrel of losing Game Pass...

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This is meant to push people towards Game Pass Ultimate, plain and simple.

Gold is now basically $10 a month, same as regular Game Pass. But if you get Ultimate, you get the benefits of both for only €15 a month. That's a way better deal, stupid! Disregarding of course, that if you're only interested in multiplayer, you're screwed out of double to triple what you used to pay either way.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well PS+ used to be free on PS3 whereas Xbox 360 had paid multi, so it might be a matter of time.
I know, that's what pisses me off so much. Them lying about how they would change the price after already going to $50 made it all the more infuriating. After them going $60, I would only get PS+ from sales around November/December.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
And of course they'll get away with it and this will become industry standard.

Sony is probably salivating right now.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ughh, how do big company not see this coming from a mile away? Did they really think people would just accept it and shrug?

Reactions: The Rogue Wolf

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ughh, how do big company not see this coming from a mile away? Did they really think people would just accept it and shrug?
I mean... they started the whole "pay us to do essentially nothing so your multiplayer games cost twice as much" in the first place.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
$120 is stupidly expensive, for a basic feature that should be free. That is why I play on PC.

This was an obvious push to get people onto Gamepass Ultimate, which would have offered an extreme amount of extra value, for only a couple of extra $s, but would have been seriously shit for those people who just care about playing one or two games online, or something F2P.

That said, im glad they reversed this change, and im glad that they are making F2P games not require XBL to play.

I just find it funny that over the past year, people were thinking that they were planning on making XBL completely free - only to find out that they were actually planning on doubling the price. This would have been disasterous, especially when people need more reasons to buy an Xbox over a PS, these days, not less.

Last edited: