Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
*Doffs hat to M$ for the first time ever*

Well bugger me, they really do listen eventually. I think i'll still go Ps4 first, unless Xbone gets some mad exclusives.

Ofc this forces Sonys hand a bit, because if M$ are serious then that statement about 3rd party publishers having the final word on DRM could put M$ ahead in that particular race

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
This is fucking AMAZING news! Now that Micro$oft has ditched always online and used games restrictions, we won't be seeing them for a looooong while in fear of such a backlash the xBone created. I still think the xBone will fall to the PS4 initially due to the cheaper price, better initial PR and a non-mandatory PRISM Compliant Device kinect, but it's a chance at them making it up in the long run.

Also, I'm totally refering the xBone as the xBox 180 now.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Mumorpuger said:
Maybe they should change the name to the Xbox One Eighty.
Thank you for at least getting the concept of what a 180 vs a 360 actually is. I remember towards the beginning of this generation, I kept seeing Sony fans saying things like "you know why its called a 360? Cause you see one and do a 360 and walk away." it made me wish I had a Facepunch key on my computer.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Revolutionary said:
What's the bet they'll now kill the shared game library (The one good thing about the Xbone).
They said that in the release.

"These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. "

Shaidz

Jul 8, 2012
unstabLized said:
Busard said:
Soxafloppin said:
I'm a Sony/Nintendo fan through and through but this is great news.

A victory for the consumer!
Let's make it clear
The consumer won NOTHING here, or maybe it looks like it did, on the surface.

But Microsoft didn't listen to the consumer. It listened to it's sales chart. The ones that were indicating their consoles were being outsold almost 5 to 1 in their own country of prevalence.

If the odds weren't so contrasted, trust me, they would've done NOTHING even if we complained twice as much. If they were alone facing nintendo, they would've made the requirements even probably worse.

It's a good thing but for me, it's just mostly shows how slimy m$ is. How pathetic their attempts of saying "BUT CLOUD GAMING IS MANDATORY", how they were so arrogant about it, how it couldn't be changed.

And people will praise them for this too, holy shit
This. ALL of this. And I hate the fact that people will turn RIGHT around and call them "sensible" and that they "listened to the customer". Bullshit. They didn't listen to crap except their own wallets screaming.
True, true, but even if it was for their own wallets its still a good thing. Yeah, not for the reasons we want it to be but we DO still win, even if its a win that also help Microsoft. Don't forget, their sales figures were shit because WE didn't buy their sales pitch.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Good ol fashioned capitalism, gotta love when they think they can be a dictator with thier systems and we tell them to fuck off you aint shit without us, they realize the truth then back off. Fuck em im still staying a PC gamer, ill let all the first Generation testers work out all the bugs before i buy a ps4

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Color me surprised. I didn't think they'd actually do this. Assuming it's true, and that this is not some kind of PR stunt, as others have suggested.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm not getting an Xbox One (or likely to get any next-gen console, for that matter), but it's still nice to hear some kind of good news.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
If it was that easy to ditch all those features, makes one wonder why they were necessary in the first place.

Anyways lets see how this develops...

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Looks like there is a lightbulb still working somewhere in the bowels of Microsoft. Say it with me: A company hears and understands only two sounds, the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing. All other sounds are noise to be ignored. With so many wallets slapping shut before the damn thing even made it to market, it would seem someone in a position of power (Balmer probably chewed Don's ass up so badly, the dude had to staple his legs back onto his spine just to crawl out the office) finally heard and understood what it all meant.

How was that education session for you, Don? Did you learn anything?

ADDENDUM: Yeah, have to agree with some others. Microsoft's dishonesty in this whole affair still turns me away from getting and Xbox One, despite their reversal. In fact, the sudden reversal after they were so adamant makes me even more distrusting of them. They should have just been straight and not try to dick people from the beginning.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
To bad Microsoft horrible PR has left a bad taste in a lot of gamers mouth.Next time Microsoft don't tell your consumers to deal with it and don't talk down to them like you have been. Then maybe this you'd make more people actually reconsider buying this.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
They've finally seen sense...I'll still probably get the PS4, but only because I'm a bigger Sony fan. But I'm glad that the next Xbox will actually be playable now.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
unstabLized said:
Busard said:
Soxafloppin said:

Let's make it clear

But Microsoft didn't listen to the consumer. It listened to it's sales chart. The ones that were indicating their consoles were being outsold almost 5 to 1 in their own country of prevalence.

If the odds weren't so contrasted, trust me, they would've done NOTHING even if we complained twice as much. If they were alone facing nintendo, they would've made the requirements even probably worse.

It's a good thing but for me, it's just mostly shows how slimy m$ is. How pathetic their attempts of saying "BUT CLOUD GAMING IS MANDATORY", how they were so arrogant about it, how it couldn't be changed.

This. ALL of this. And I hate the fact that people will turn RIGHT around and call them "sensible" and that they "listened to the customer". Bullshit. They didn't listen to crap except their own wallets screaming.
Pretty much agree with those statements. I hope many people still wait to see if MS keeps their word and doesn't pull another BS 180 once people jump on board.

If you think they are giving up this easily you are wrong. This issue is going to comeback so I hope people don't jump at the first sign of somewhat good PR.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Despite the fact that the PS4 still appeals more to me (no Kinect, cheaper), I can definitely say that this is great news for the gaming industry as a whole.

Assuming it's all true, I am proud to see the gaming public use its unrivaled ability of having its complaints heard for justice. Good news indeed.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
unstabLized said:
Busard said:
Soxafloppin said:

Let's make it clear

I'm glad this whole XB1 thing is teaching folks about what is so shitty about capitalism. It only VALUES one thing. And... btw, Sony is = MS when it comes to what motivates them.
So are you mad at Sony too? They only want money.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
This has probably already been said but nope sorry microsoft still not getting my buy. You already proved that you WANT to do this. Which means you dont really give a shit about me but hey drop the asinine restrictions for indie and perhaps ill play a demo on your console at gamestop in a couple years.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
Was this their plan all along? Come with a shitty idea saying that it's the only way and then, after a lot of angry answers, say they managed to give what we wanted and pretend they are good and listen to their consumers?
I'm happy if the Xbone really changed this much (though I worry about what might be the catch), but this crossed my mind, and I'd really like someone to tell me how stupid this idea really is and I'm not seeing why. Because if it's not, then they're even worse than I has thought, and that scares me a little. o_O

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
LostintheWick said:
unstabLized said:
Busard said:
Soxafloppin said:

Let's make it clear

I'm glad this whole XB1 thing is teaching folks about what is so shitty about capitalism. It only VALUES one thing. And... btw, Sony is = MS when it comes to what motivates them.
So are you mad at Sony too? They only want money.
I'm not mad at companies wanting money for their business. I'm mad at one company being some kind of arrogant tool and outright lying about "THE POWER OF THE CLOUD" and how it can't be switched, just to switch it the very fucking next day.

And i'm mad at people who will eat this up and think they "won" anything and subsequently PRAISE these idiots for beating them less hard than they previously did.

And I don't see how noting this brings it to Sony at this moment.