Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Kargathia said:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.
You see people, THIS is why we need a 'like' button on the Escapist!

Jan 27, 2011
Sure, I'll deal with it.

I wasn't likely to get your console already. This just clinches it.

Sometimes my internet is down or I'm visiting my grandma where there is no internet. Demanding always online for single player is ridiculous.

Norrdicus said:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

XD Nice!

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
If I hadn't already made up my mind this would have sealed it by it instead is just confirming my decision is right. I mean I have good internet but I don't always like to be online especially because I tend to play single player games so,keep making statements like this sony and nintendo need your money.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Before we thrash this guy any more I'd like to show you all this:

Yes, he was an ass. No, I am still looking into this console. Now hopefully he will learn his damned lesson and we can beg for a miracle that this doesn't actually happen.
I would be willing to believe it was a joke, if:

a) Mr. Orth himself said it was a joke.
b) He didn't delete the comments until after he said it was a joke.
c) He didn't make his Twitter Account Private after these events.
d) He hadn't made uncaring comments like this before.

As it stands, I am starting to believe the rumors, and I'm thinking the Nextbox may not be something I want to play on.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Phlakes said:
So one second everyone's trying to take the moral high ground against that Machinima video and less than a day later people start doing this shit over a few tweets.
What Machinima video?

Phlakes said:
This is why nobody likes gamers.

Not to say people shouldn't be allowed to criticize or any of that shit, but this is a lot of words that I can't say unless I'm looking for some mod wrath.

EDIT: Also someone out there is going to say that it's "all in good fun", and they would be wrong.

EDIT2: And anyone involved in this has lost their right to complain about someone calling gamers childish. If you don't want to be called childish you shouldn't act like middle schoolers.
So.....

Making jokes = Acting like middle schoolers?

Some gamers making jokes = gamers are childish?

If there were gamers sending him death threats, harassment emails, and vandalizing his car, then yes I'd call that childish. But you'd be really willing to say that those people represent ALL gamers?

Gamers aren't childish. People are childish. Gamers are people just like everyone else.

To re-use an analogy posted someone said last year: "This male writer gropped a woman! Writers are childish!" See how ridiculous that sounds?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Terminate421 said:
Before we thrash this guy any more I'd like to show you all this:

Yes, he was an ass. No, I am still looking into this console. Now hopefully he will learn his damned lesson and we can beg for a miracle that this doesn't actually happen.
I would be willing to believe it was a joke, if:

a) Mr. Orth himself said it was a joke.
b) He didn't delete the comments until after he said it was a joke.
c) He didn't make his Twitter Account Private after these events.
d) He hadn't made uncaring comments like this before.

As it stands, I am starting to believe the rumors, and I'm thinking the Nextbox may not be something I want to play on.
The reason I have been still for microsoft is one logical and quite frankly simple reason. All rumors about this console have been atrocious ones.

Until microsoft THEMSELVES show the console and what it does, then I will determine if I believe it is worth it. So, rumors, asshole comments from their staff, etc. don't fly with me when it comes to what the console is capable of. For all we know, this guy could for some reason be defending Simcity, hell, with EA saying always online DRM is bad, this guy could for some unexplained ass reason be against them.

I don't know. This guy is an asshole, and I still sit here waiting patiently for whatever microsoft actually show me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
thethird0611 said:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.
Except you have to know, as a member of that company, that any public statement you make will be seen as a reflecting on the company. No story that mentions your comments will neglect to mention where you work. You can slap all the "my views do not reflect those of Microsoft" type disclaimers on that you want, and it doesn't matter. He's also not just some flunky from the mail room - he's a creative director. He should know better than to mouth off like this.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
The internet is decimating this guy

What a useless moron
Yes they are.

And to be fair, I don't think many people are going to argue that the guy doesn't deserve it, or at the very least couldn't see it coming.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Maybe Microsoft are trying to drve people towards PS4 and PC gaming to compensate for the damage they did to PC gaming with Games for Windows live and Visat?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Norrdicus said:

Hello?

You ther-

SOMETIMES, and only sometimes. Sony makes me laugh my ass off. They may not have the best PR, but its good to know that their CEO has a sense of humour.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Norrdicus said:

Hello?

You ther-

SOMETIMES, and only sometimes. Sony makes me laugh my ass off. They may not have the best PR, but its good to know that their CEO has a sense of humour.
That's a parody account, just so that you know.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Lovely Mixture said:
What Machinima video?
This one. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJGr4blJeZE] It's not a perfect comparison since that issue was pretty focused on sexism, but there was a lot of "this reflects badly on the community" going around.
Making jokes = Acting like middle schoolers?
It's gone a little bit farther than just making jokes. Take a quick look at /v/ or r/gaming.

Some gamers making jokes = gamers are childish?
The people who are doing it, yes. That's what the "anyone involved" part was for.

If there were gamers sending him death threats, harassment emails, and vandalizing his car, then yes I'd call that childish. But you'd be really willing to say that those people represent ALL gamers?
He locked his Twitter account because of the harassment. I was lucky enough to be there at the beginning, and seeing what people were saying you'd think he murdered Gabe Newell or something.

Then just look at this shit [http://www.quickmeme.com/Always-Online-Adam-Orth/?upcoming]. I don't know if my middle school was just irregularly immature but that wouldn't be out of place at a sixth grade lunch table.

And no, they don't represent the entire community, naturally, but just like that video they're part of it and at the very least they contribute to how people think of it.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Well, I'm abandoning the Microsoft stock ship while I still can. Enjoy your douchebaggery Microsoft.
And you won't get my money for the NextBox. #dealwithit

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Grey Carter said:
miss reported flame bait for easy post count and views
Now i hate Microsoft more than most people , but seriously someone needs to but a leash on this grey carter chap,

Is Adam Orth speaking for Microsoft , is he talking about MS policy? no. yet Microsoft is the first word up there and you start by re voicing a complete rumor to make it look like hes confirming its MS's intention.

This is some guy voicing his own opinion on his personal twitter in a conversation with a peer. that's all.

this isnt news or reporting this is the lowest grade nerd baiting. if i wanted to read sensationalist blown out of proportion bullshit , id go to kotarku!

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Phlakes said:
Lovely Mixture said:
What Machinima video?
This one. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJGr4blJeZE] It's not a perfect comparison since that issue was pretty focused on sexism, but there was a lot of "this reflects badly on the community" going around.
Alright. Well I dislike that "this reflects badly on the community" attitude. People

Phlakes said:
It's gone a little bit farther than just making jokes. Take a quick look at /v/ or r/gaming.
Yes, but you were pointing out the memes/jokes, which I was referencing.

And yes, there's no doubt that /v/ and r/gaming are cesspits of hatred and lies.

The people who are doing it, yes. That's what the "anyone involved" part was for.
Very well, excuse my oversight.

He locked his Twitter account because of the harassment. I was lucky enough to be there at the beginning, and seeing what people were saying you'd think he murdered Gabe Newell or something.
Fine, then those people are childish and stupid. We are in agreement there.

Then just look at this shit [http://www.quickmeme.com/Always-Online-Adam-Orth/?upcoming]. I don't know if my middle school was just irregularly immature but that wouldn't be out of place at a sixth grade lunch table.
But the difference is that isn't directly aimed at him, it's making a joke of him. It's like a political cartoon, albeit badly done, but it's the same degree.

I'll draw the line when someone photoshops a Hitler mustache on him or puts a Joker smile on his face.

And no, they don't represent the entire community, naturally, but just like that video they're part of it and at the very least they contribute to how people think of it.
Sure, we don't need to accept bad behavior in the communitty (it's inevitable, but intolerable). But I think it's almost as bad to bend backward for onlookers who will instantly judge gamers on those things as well.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
thethird0611 said:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.
If they're actually running with an always-online console, then it hardly matters who the vitriol is thrown at.

OT: Sometimes people say things and it's impossible to imagine how they function in any kind of situation demanding even a hint of logic. Does he REALLY need the fault in his analogies to be explained?

Fucking idiot.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
zumbledum said:
Now i hate Microsoft more than most people , but seriously someone needs to but a leash on this grey carter chap,

Is Adam Orth speaking for Microsoft , is he talking about MS policy? no. yet Microsoft is the first word up there and you start by re voicing a complete rumor to make it look like hes confirming its MS's intention.

This is some guy voicing his own opinion on his personal twitter in a conversation with a peer. that's all.

this isnt news or reporting this is the lowest grade nerd baiting. if i wanted to read sensationalist blown out of proportion bullshit , id go to kotarku!
You could have posted his tweets anywhere else, without the context of the article, and I guarantee you'd get the same reaction.

Yes, he's posting his opinions. It just so happens that he's also the creative director of microsoft. If Microsoft's creative director is this out of touch with the feelings on always-online stuff, then I think everyone has the right to get worried.

Hell I'm not even judging Microsoft based on this, I'm judging him. Just as I judged American McGee for trying to be an apologist for the SimCity debacle.