Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"The mobile phone reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone," he added.
Yeah, the place I used to live in had a really bad mobile phone reception, so we DIDN'T have mobile phones. I could still play my Camecube, though, even when I couldn't watch tv because of the weather...

I don't get his analogy, specifically how it's supposed to prove his point. If I don't have electricity, I'm not going to buy electric devices, if I don't have a reliable Internet connection, I'm not going to buy things that require that.

I guess from his point of view pissing off people who could not buy your console anyway is good business?

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
So if he was just trolling, then he got the reaction he wanted
Terminate421 said:
Before we thrash this guy any more I'd like to show you all this:

Yes, he was an ass. No, I am still looking into this console. Now hopefully he will learn his damned lesson and we can beg for a miracle that this doesn't actually happen.
So if he was just trolling, then he got the reaction he wanted.
That's what a troll wants, they want to make people mad!

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"The mobile phone reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone," he added.
If the mobile phone reception where I live is spotty I would switch providers.

In seriousness though, I don't live in the city and my internet will quickly jump from $50 to $90 to $115 per month depending on usage and having every device 'always on' and downloading updates and crap automatically does not make it easy to keep my data usage down.

Even if the guy was trying to make a private joke, he's doing it in a public forum that cannot communicate the nuances of sarcasm. Did he not hear about the guy in Britain who was fired and arrested for saying on twitter he would bomb an airport because of delays?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
thethird0611 said:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.
Not much of a difference. If it was a random plebe, maybe, but for a high ranking exec to (publicly) come out on this, that hard? It likely speaks volumes about the sort of dialogue that goes on between Microsoft's decision makers.

OT: Open mouth, insert corporate boot.

This is just more proof that the video game industry has its head shoved somewhere it shouldn't when it comes to PR. This guy should never have gone public with this opinion. By working for the company, especially being an exec, what he does and says reflects on the company. Now, because of him, Microsoft will have to make a response/apology in order to save any face. That's a position that someone with his job should never put their employer in. I suspect this guy is going to get in some hot water over this.

As dumb a company as Microsoft is, they know better (at least they should) than to tell consumers to "Deal with it."

On the other hand, if Microsoft doesn't retract this or, worse yet, doubles down on his statement... well, prepare to lose a lot of customers to Sony.

Consumer good will is invaluable in a competitive market. Given the choice between two comparable products, people will almost always go with the company they like more. That also applies if they are merely apathetic to one company and dislike the other. Microsoft will make no friends (in consumers, publishers probably like it) if they don't retract this in some way.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kargathia said:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.
Yes they will. They'll buy it and complain anyway. Look at SimCity. #sadbuttrue
Except that I'd be extremely surprised if SimCity turns out to be profitable. At this point it's safe to say that it'll be selling way below expectancy.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Microsoft is making poor decisions... so go to Sony? Pfft, so you're going to go to another restrictive console?

You know what we can do on a PC? Mod the hell out of games. I don't advocate piracy; still buy the game and stuff, just... wait for a clever clog to program in a nice block to the always online nonsense. You won't even have to have any tech knowledge beyond copy and paste... because they'll step-by-step you through the process. Also: WE CAN MOD THE HELL OUT OF GAMES. I don't see those console Minecrafters flying around in an airship. Right now, some programmer out there is "fixing" Bioshock Infinite so that it plays more like the demo... but not an official 2K programmer so only PC modders will get to see this happen.

You know how much the next consoles are going to cost? I bet you could upgrade to a sweet video card for half that much. And decent RAM continues to be comparatively cheap. 4 GB for 40 bucks or something. So you miss out on the occasional exclusive title, big deal, we've got tons of games you consolers never see or hear about. I know the tech is kind of a barrier if you're still using a Compaq 5500 or something. But, you can get a decent computer now for about the cost of a console. You don't even have to buy a monitor, there are ways to get your PC onto your TV screen.

Join PC gamers, we don't put up with bullshit.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
The new console will be always-online. I will not buy it. No seriously, there have just been too many advantages to switching to PC gaming for too long - this puts me over the edge -- next new PC I'm getting will be sufficient as to not need the new xbox for new releases.

Steam has always been way cheaper than buying used games on Amazon for new releases - list price is out of the question. But now that there are tools available to eliminate the usage of used games when publishers/devlopers/Microsoft will it the advantage will be even greater.

PC games also tend to get better patching and update support.

The only advantage that has been keeping me playing on consoles is the fact that I can take usability for granted without worrying about if my hardware is sufficient to run a game.

That's not cutting it anymore.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
Pebkio said:
Microsoft is making poor decisions... so go to Sony? Pfft, so you're going to go to another restrictive console?

You know what we can do on a PC? Mod the hell out of games. I don't advocate piracy; still buy the game and stuff, just... wait for a clever clog to program in a nice block to the always online nonsense. You won't even have to have any tech knowledge beyond copy and paste... because they'll step-by-step you through the process. Also: WE CAN MOD THE HELL OUT OF GAMES. I don't see those console Minecrafters flying around in an airship. Right now, some programmer out there is "fixing" Bioshock Infinite so that it plays more like the demo... but not an official 2K programmer so only PC modders will get to see this happen.

You know how much the next consoles are going to cost? I bet you could upgrade to a sweet video card for half that much. And decent RAM continues to be comparatively cheap. 4 GB for 40 bucks or something. So you miss out on the occasional exclusive title, big deal, we've got tons of games you consolers never see or hear about. I know the tech is kind of a barrier if you're still using a Compaq 5500 or something. But, you can get a decent computer now for about the cost of a console. You don't even have to buy a monitor, there are ways to get your PC onto your TV screen.

Join PC gamers, we don't put up with bullshit.

Eh, even though I do prefer the PC side of the gaming spectrum, I also realize it's expensive as fuck to invest in. The upkeep cost might be cheaper, but not everyone can afford to put the initial 800-1000 dollars in their start up rig. It's why some people just wait for the price drop on consoles, and then shell out the 300-400 dollars for a console.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
holy shit!

well this is certainly the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to me deciding whether or not to get a Next Gen console.

Sep 24, 2008
It's the oddest thing about Game designers. They simply won't get that we are not your average customer.

We're not the idiots who go to Apple and ask if their new Mac whatever comes equipped with the internet. We are not parents who have to bug their children when the printer isn't printing and asking if they should call the repair shop. We are not people who know nothing about cars and pretend to get what the mechanic is saying when he's explaining what's wrong and why it needs to be thousands of dollars.

We know computers. We know games. If you tell us the specs, a good number of us can tell us what it can do and what it can run, then explain it to the rest of us. While sometimes juvenile with opinions, we are probably the smartest consumer base there is for any market. Because we take great pains to understand our hobby.

Therefore, you can't make this market into sheep for the most part (InB4 Call of Duty). You can not really dictate what we should or should be ok with. We will bury your sales. We have mountains of Critics to make sure you understand that you're getting screwed here. Both professional and non. I find it amazing that the industry with one of the highest percentages of Consumer Intelligence is constantly belittled and overlooked by that very industry.

Simple Economics, The Gaming Industry is a Flexible Demand. You don't need it. And you can find other outlets to sate your itch if you can't control it. So the gaming industry must cater to their consumers more than any other industry. And before apologists get up and arms, let me pre-emptively say that yes, they fucking need to. That's not being entitled. That's being the guy with the money who decides who or what I spend it on. I do not owe the Gaming Industry my money simply because I've been in a gamer all my life. I chose to give them my money as long as they provide me with a service I desire.

That's why you have a favorite food or place to eat. That's why you have a favorite music or movie genre. That's why you even have a favorite place to vacation. Something about that subject makes you want to come back. If that favorite place to eat decided to change all the recipes, fire all but one waiter or waitress who picks and chooses who s/he is going to served based on how fancy their clothes are or how new their phones are... you'd get up, leave the eatery, and choose any other place on the street that doesn't do that.

If your favorite vacation spot decided to make an out-of-towner tax for all hotels of 35% of your bill, make it that each room has to have at least two different families in it, you'd find a new place to go.

But hell, let's dial it down. If that eatery says they that 'fucking hate queers', would you be comfortable giving them your business? I wouldn't. I'm not even gay. But it's an opinion that disgusts me. If that vacation spot says it doesn't need any money from any stupid northerners, that's fine. They won't be getting my cash because I am from the North and I don't need to make them a little bit richer when they can't stand me.

Likewise do I not need to give my money or time to a gaming company that shows such disdain or willful ignorance to what the gaming community is saying we want less of. There has been controversy after controversy with always online. Since day one. We hated it on Ubisoft's products, Origin, Diablo III, Starcraft II, Simcity, and we'll continue to hate it because we want to enjoy what we paid money for WHENEVER and REGARDLESS of what happens in our lives. And to stand in front of all of that, look at it, and say 'Whatever, we still want to do it' shows a callous disregard to my and our wants. And given that it's a hobby and not a inflexible demand... it's a death sentence.

My business is with the majority of yours; it's elsewhere, Microsoft. Wise up. Screw reading the 'changing times'. Pay attention to your consumer base. Or fail.

~edit whee! my 400 hundred post! I only been here five years. That's eighty posts a year! Math rocks!

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
I read that thing twelve times and I still don't get what the joke is on that one.

Is there someone going to be on the train line getting hit?

Or, is there just one guy always driving the train on the line and it will derail because of it?

I don't find either funny.

If not that, then you must have a very dry sense of humor, definitely not very straight forward.
I'll admit I'm not great at telling jokes. The joke is pretty much based on the phrase "body on the line" and the phrase "always online". Always on the line? Ha?

darthmocha

Mar 28, 2011
Well this finally convinced my that my next console will be a PS4. They are making the classic Tarkin Doctrine mistake. The more Microsoft tightens its grip on control of our entertainment the more money will slip through their fingers.

I mean sure many of us use the internet on our PC's and phones, but we have a huge amount of controls for privacy and the choice of software we are using. With a console you cannot have that option, but may want to play a game that you like and not have your private habits pursued by Microsoft. I think at this point Microsoft is losing its OS monopoly and its products have largely been duds like their tablet and Zune because of Google and Apple respectively. I think they are grasping at controlling the profitable gaming division and getting as much control and money as they can out of it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Does anyone at MS even look outside their Redmond bubble? Super fast, unlimited bandwidth internet and always online connectivity is a given in techo-paradise land like Redmond and Silicon Valley. However, elsewhere, especially outside of the US, it's not necessarily true.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sometimes people are just complete dorks.
Yes, shaming people into thinking they're overreacting is the best way to win them over.
Honestly, I hope the new xbox doesn't require online, which you have to pay for. I also hope it isn't defective.
But when people inside the company start acting all defensive before they've even announced anything, it doesn't look good.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I bet this cretin doesn't live on a third world country like I do! the internet is almost never on here in Wales.

Just wow what a dickhead.

Sorry if its already here but I liked this one