Microsoft Facing Halo 3 Class Action Suit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Facing Halo 3 Class Action Suit

Xbox 360 [http://www.microsoft.com], it does not actually run on the Xbox 360.

Randy Nunez of California launched the suit, which also names Halo 3 developer Gamestop [http://www.bungie.net] location in San Diego. "Relying on defendants' skill and judgment to furnish goods suitable" for playing on the Xbox 360 console, Nunez laid down his $59.99 plus tax and headed home with his purchase. When he attempted to play the game, however, "Mr. Nunez's Halo 3 videogame repeatedly locked up, froze and/or crashed while being operated on Mr. Nunez's Xbox 360 console."

"Defendants have breached the implied warranty of fitness," the suit claims, "because the Halo 3 videogames freeze, lock up and/or crash the Xbox 360 videogame console when operated in their particular purpose of use on the Xbox 360. Defendants continue to breach the implied warranty of fitness to this day because they have failed to correct the defect in Halo 3." While the suit does not specify how much money Nunez is after, it does state "Nunez and the Class sustained damages including, but not limited to, the purchase price of Halo 3."

Released in North America on September 25, Halo 3 generated $170 million in its first day of sales in the U.S. alone, with 3.7 million copies sold in the U.S. as of November 15. The game was also responsible for a massive influx of users to Microsoft's Xbox Live service, and drove the Xbox 360 console past the Nintendo Wii to the top of the September sales [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/78113] chart.

It is unknown what steps, if any, Nunez took, including exchanging the game for a new copy or trying it on another console, prior to launching the suit. The full text of the complaint is available here [http://www.courthousenews.com/2007/11/21/Halo3.pdf]. (PDF format)

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I... um... ah... uh...

Unexpected halt in operation comprehend_suit
Abort Retry Ignore?

-- Steve

cann3dheat

Nov 19, 2007
Seems a bit ridiculous, but at the same time; hell Bungie (and developers in general), let's make games that work.

chris100185

Nov 21, 2007
That's a bit retarded. Don't blame Bungie. Defects happen. When I bought FF VIII my copy kept crashing, I brought it back to the store and got a new one, I never even considered brining a lawsuit against them because I got the 1 out of maybe 200,000 copies that are defective. This is gold digging, plain and simple.

Dry Ice

Oct 15, 2007
Class example of American Ambulence chaceing, why dosnt he just take the fking thing back to the shop for a swap, and if that dosnt work, its his console that dosnt work.

360 is probs broke any how...

freaking moron.

Nov 15, 2007
Cynical Nonoplace said:
lol, Americans and their lawsuits.

Fucking facepalm'd at this one.
Don't lump us all in with this idiot, please. I'm a yank, and I facepalm'd.

I hope the judge dismisses with prejudice.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
He's not going to get anything, except for maybe his 60$ back...the lawyer who took his case should be barred from practicing law...
I'm a yank as well, facepalm that Prick.

aiusepsi

Nov 22, 2007
This is patently ridiculous.

Microsoft knows the Live take-up rate, how many gamertags have played Halo 3, and how many copies they've shifted. It won't take much for them to show that the vast majority of copies work just fine.

This guy is going to lose, and then it's going to cost him a lot more than the price of the game. Quite why he didn't just return the defective copy to a shop is beyond me.

HeadExplodie

Nov 22, 2007
Wow. Howza 'bout you take it back and swap it? This guy must have been hit on the head a lot as a child. Prime example of why I want to leave this country.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
While I think a class action suit is overkill people calling this guy a moron for actually complaining are in fact more moronic than this guy is. You sound like someone in an abusive relationship, you have been punched in the face so many times that you have begun to believe that such behavior is appropriate. Users basically should not complain when games like The Darkness contain bugs that make it impossible to complete the game because a player has done a side quest before chapter five? They shouldn't complain when a game breaks just because you decide to remap the buttons as is the case with the 360 version of the Orange Box (Remap any action to the dpad and you lose the ability to switch to the weapon class mapped there by default making it possible for you to disable weapon switching entirely, and I am being nice in calling it a bug.)

Then there are all the problems with both versions of Assassin's Creed...Am I the only one seeing a pattern here yet? The patching business is getting way out of hand now, I think that these companies need to be sued so that they stop releasing games that have not been properly QC'ed I can't think of any other item that people will buy that is advertised as properly working and is in reality broken, and the manfacturer gets away with the mere promise of a patch to fix the issue.

It's time to get out of this abusive relationship as far as I am concerned.

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
I fully agree Shadow Skill, my first thought upon reading this news was "About time someone does that." Only in the entertainment industry do people tolerate such grand errors.

Imagine buying a car, and upon malfunctioning being told the brakes will only operate once they release patch 1.04.

BigText

Nov 21, 2007
As for the bug mentioned about the Orange Box, there's a reason I play PC games on the PC.

Anyway, this isn't going to go anywhere. I'm pretty sure that there are several documents listed having to do with defective products that will void this before it gets any considerable distance.

Also, while I may be currently living in Japan, I resent the remarks of those trying to lump me in with this idiot.

HeadExplodie

Nov 22, 2007
By this reasoning, any company that creates "entertainment" can be sued if you do not become "entertained" by their wares. It did not fulfill it's design.

So, Zemeckis, I want my money back for Beowulf!

CarlosYenrac

Nov 20, 2007
and everyone should get half their money back for KOTOR2, Wind Waker and any Star Trek game produced by interplay. :)

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
If the poster for Beowulf advertised a 120 minute movie including three monster fights, but delivered only a five minute shot of Beowulf walking followed by 115 minutes of fade to black, then the case would be about the same. And yes, I figure you'd be fully in your rights to ask your money back.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I hope he wins, sorry but MS has built a crappy console in trems of hardware stability, this is the first time in history a console has had as many hardware issues.
MS has not done enough to fix it just enough to save face.....

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
oh wow, a video game having defects, has never happened before.

but seriously this mr. whats-his-face saw a chance for some cheap moneyz.

this kinda thing happens all the time for just about anything.
so what if this guy sues? bungie made millions upon billions of dollars.
and for one thing if this person was actually decently smart he would have sued the retailer.
truth be told, this mr. nunez is a dumbass.