Microsoft Files Patent for Community-Based Hint System

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft Files Patent for Community-Based Hint System

Move over Super Guide, Microsoft is attempting to patent an in-game hint system of its own.

Microsoft has filed a patent for an in-game hint system accessed through Xbox Live that is very similar to GameFaqs [http://www.gamefaqs.com/] and other community-based hint/walkthrough websites. It is contextual, meaning that the guide will try to find help that is authored specifically to where a player is currently stuck in a particular game. This is contrasted by Nintendo's patent for its Super Guide hint system, already implemented in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which basically plays a certain level automatically but lets the player jump in at any time.

Simple in-game access to GameFaqs would probably have been an easy way to tackle this idea, but Microsoft evidently wants to take the idea of a "faq" website and make it even more helpful. For example, Microsoft's hint system would allow authors to add audio, and to take screenshots and video which can be marked with a digital pencil to point out specifically where to go and what to do. While a "faq" (which stands for "frequently asked questions") can be very useful, it sometimes cannot express with full detail exactly how to complete a certain task.

Aspects of each hint guide can be tagged, including situations and items, which should allow users to get the specific hint that they want at a specific time. The guides will also be ranked by users to weed out the garbage, and also the likely flood of false hints and lies. This type of system needs to be implemented with care, based on how well the Xbox 360 audience is known to follow Penny Arcade's model for online human interaction [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/].

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/23/microsofts-answer-to-nintendos-super-guide/]

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I applaud them for this... it's an admirable goal. Not the patenting thing, but the actual thing they're trying to patent. Yet, I don't see it being something I'd use.

Oh! And I don't want them implementing something that allows someone to suddenly pop in saying, "Hey, I noticed you suck on this level. Do you want me to show you exactly what you're doing wrong?" .

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I bet there going to charge you MS points to use guides,and even then there probably not going to be too good, ill stick to game FAQs thanks.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Doesnt Demons Souls use a similar system with the hints you leave for other players?

Sticky White Stuff!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Oh! And I don't want them implementing something that allows someone to suddenly pop in saying, "Hey, I noticed you suck on this level. Do you want me to show you exactly what you're doing wrong?" .
I can now see this being titled "Paper Clip" the way you've explained it.

"I see you suck on this level. WANT SOME HELP, NOOB?" [/annoying]

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
I applaud them for this... it's an admirable goal. Not the patenting thing, but the actual thing they're trying to patent. Yet, I don't see it being something I'd use.

Thank you, that made me LOL. I imagine Microsoft will charge for its use, but considering it will go as far as actually play the game for you, then I'd say they are entitled. I know I won't ever touch it, but then again I never have to go to Paperclip for any of my Office needs either.
I should be surprised that Microsoft hasn't done this sooner, but considering Windows has been the closest Microsoft has come to actually doing something original...well, go figure.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sounds like an interesting idea. Ill wait till I hear they are going to charge us for the pleasure...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
People are incapable of playing games without hints on tap now, are they?

Yes yes, I know that if I don't like it I don't have to use it, but it's still a pathetic idea, although not as bad as that bloody thing Nintendo want to implement.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
That's cheating, where's the sense of pride and accomplishment?

Plus Demon's Souls did this to me and I ended up falling of a cliff a few times.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Somehow I doubt that they'll be able to match the amount of integrity the online FAQ community currently has.

That, and it just feels like a freaking cop-out, accessing something in-game to tell you how to beat the game... Not sure why, as it's essentially the same shit, but I also get the feeling I can't be the only one to look at it that way (logical or not).

Why can't MS just say, "Hey, maybe we don't need this, as it's an arbitrary feature that doesn't really need to be had"? I mean, christ, trying to use one of Nintendo's ideas? The help system in Mario Bro.'s Wii is hardly something to aspire to.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Pipotchi said:
Doesnt Demons Souls use a similar system with the hints you leave for other players?
IdealistCommi said:
Demon Souls did the same thing in game.
So, I guess they are late on this
BaldursBananaSoap said:
Plus Demon's Souls did this
Came here to say these. Are they allowed to patent something already in use by another game on another system?

Besides, if they want an FAQ system...uh, why would I not just visit GameFAQs? My 360 is literally on the other side of my monitor to my PC tower. I don't exactly have to move very far.