Microsoft Gives Free Games to Owners of Faulty Xbox Ones

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Microsoft Gives Free Games to Owners of Faulty Xbox Ones

Microsoft's next-gen console didn't have a perfect launch, but anyone who received defective hardware can expect a replacement and a complimentary game of their choice.

For some Xbox fans, the Xbox One launch became very disappointing when they unboxed the console and discovered that it wouldn't play games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129910-Faulty-Xbox-One-Disc-Drives-Reported-by-Some-Buyers]. A number of customers reported that the system's disc drive was defective, and couldn't be used to play games. It happens - the first batch of new hardware is always risky - and those customers are waiting for a replacement unit from Microsoft. However, as an apology, Microsoft is also granting anyone with a faulty console a free Xbox One game from a selection of downloadable titles.

Customers with bad hardware can choose between Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome, or Zoo Tycoon. The game is provided as a free digital download, so if the customer uses Microsoft's Advance Exchange program (where they can keep the old console until the replacement unit arrives), they can download and play the complimentary game even without a functioning disc drive.

"While a replacement console is on its way, we want to ensure our advance exchange customers can stay in the game," says a statement from Microsoft. "We will provide each of them with a free digital download of one of the launch titles published by Microsoft Studios."

The digital handouts are a nifty way to circumvent this particular hardware error while giving unlucky customers something to do with their console while they wait for the replacement - one more perk of living in the future.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/25/5145620/xbox-one-owners-with-hardware-issues-get-complimentary-game]

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Okay, that's a pretty good move on Microsoft's part, I have to admit. While I doubt they're doing it for any other reason that not wanting to have another Red Ring of Death hanging around their necks (even if so far the failures are far, far lower than with the 360), it's still nice to hear. I could be cynical and say that with only those four games, most Xbone owners probably have any and all of the games out of those that they want (and I'd much prefer a physical copy...even if it took longer to arrive), that's how you respond to a screw up. I hope Sony does the same for the people whose PS4s have keeled over.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Now THAT is good customer service, good to see not everyone has forgotten it. Keep it up Microsoft and I may get one before the system hits rock bottom price. Nice to see some good marketing/service from MS, it's been too long.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Clever idea and a very good move on their part.

LysanderNemoinis said:
I could be cynical and say that with only those four games, most Xbone owners probably have any and all of the games out of those that they want (and I'd much prefer a physical copy...even if it took longer to arrive)
Perhaps but then it just means they can play the game they bought without to much hinderence while they wait. Not quite as neat as getting a free extra game but if nothing else means you have some fodder to put towards a launch window title (titanfall maybe?) without having to lose the game -shrug- still a decent value for having to wait out a glitchy xbox I'de think.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
What is this nonsense? Microsoft managed to do something in the field of public relations and not screw it up? Are they feeling okay? What happened to the regular employees? Are they sick? Someone check the hospitals! Something must be wrong with Microsoft's PR department. They aren't insulting or missing the point. Doesn't anyone care!?

In all seriousness, I applaud this move. It's probably the first entirely positive thing they've done. Arguably, it was preceded by hardware failures, but we gotta take what we can get.

Still not buying a Xbox One, though.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
In some ways a classy move by MS. Although the evil pessimist in me takes this as an alarming sign that the XBox quality issues are most likely worse then we have been imagining, and may be nearing XB360 levels. MS would not be publicly making this move for defective systems that are within the normal expected range. It would call more attention to a minor problem. That they are doing this publicly means they perceive something serious.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That's great and all, definitely a positive step for Microsoft. However I have to ask, wouldn't Microsoft have saved a hell of a lot of money if they'd just made sure the units worked in the first place?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
That's great and all, definitely a positive step for Microsoft. However I have to ask, wouldn't Microsoft have saved a hell of a lot of money if they'd just made sure the units worked in the first place?
Not likely, diminishing returns is a very real factor when dealing with any form of software/hardware testing. As with most companies, they already likely spend a significant amount of time already catching the majority of defects. Beyond that point, they'd still be spending significant amounts of time, but the rate at which you uncover defects drops drastically.

At some point, either you release and take the hit knowing that some percentage of units will fail (and this is without considering damages caused by the shipping process), or spend ludicrous amounts of additional time and resources for a minor improvement through exhaustive testing.

Sucks that way, but that's the way it goes and it the only practical way to play it. In this case, it is so far looking perfectly fine and within a reasonable level of defect rates. Points like the one you have made are only applicable when numbers start approaching 360 RROD levels indicating quality control was severely lacking.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Who uses discs these days anyway? I know there's all the fuss over consoles being online, but I think if you have a PS4 or Xbone there is a pretty damn good chance you have the internet and thus, can go digital. Kind of like PC is at LEAST 90% digital now.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
AldUK said:
Who uses discs these days anyway? I know there's all the fuss over consoles being online, but I think if you have a PS4 or Xbone there is a pretty damn good chance you have the internet and thus, can go digital. Kind of like PC is at LEAST 90% digital now.
I do. The only time I ever buy a game digitally is if there's no other way I can get it. I mean, I know that it's becoming less and less for servers to go down completely and/or lose all their data, but what if it happens? What if you delete a game from your system and Microsoft's or Sony's servers go kablooey -- you're screwed. There goes your download list and all the records of your purchases. Same with PCs. Plus, your harddrive goes down, unless you have a backup, once again...screwed. But you'll still have the game on a disc.

While a minor example, I have The Godfather for the PS3 and long ago bought DLC for it after beating the game. For various reasons I didn't play the game right away and years later suffered a Yellow Light of Death. When I went to go redownload the DLC, it was gone. Utterly, completely gone. Not on the Store, nor available anywhere, EA just removed it from existence. So that's five bucks down the drain that I never got to enjoy and never will. Now I know that people will just hop on the EA hate train, but all it takes is some guy asleep at the switch or some glitch, or just someone deciding not to carry a downloadable item, and that's that -- your games or add-ons are gone. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
AldUK said:
I do, honestly the only times I buy digital is Pc, and that's only for games under $20, maybe $30 if it's a niche game. Only console games I have digital are PS+ games, and I don't consider them permanent.
If I have to pay $80-$100 (Australia) then it must be physical so that I get my moneys worth. Digital has no value, and so I spend accordingly.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Saltyk said:
What is this nonsense? Microsoft managed to do something in the field of public relations and not screw it up? Are they feeling okay? What happened to the regular employees? Are they sick? Someone check the hospitals! Something must be wrong with Microsoft's PR department. They aren't insulting or missing the point. Doesn't anyone care!?
I'm certain they'll find a way to perform 3 bad moves in the gaming sphere before they attempt their next good one.

I'm betting on an anti-homosexual Freudian slip at their next press release.
Laying off of several staff members just before Christmas.
...and the XBone being hacked from an internal source with credit cards being charged without customers permission.

That being said this is a great move by Microsoft and goes beyond just refunding folks. Good show, make it a habit.

hngst2404

Nov 26, 2013
I had the non-working optical drive issue with mine and was able to get forza 5 for free so I was content. well that and I just bought a few online titles to tide me over till my replacement arrives tomorrow. Certainly a nice touch. Of course this morning I watched that youtube video where a guy was able to fix his non-working optical drive. May try it for kicks and see if it works.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
AldUK said:
Shit does happen. Last week my landlord had to fix the intercom to my building. It made my internet go from high speed to 111 kps (along with everyone else in the building who has phone line internet). My neighbor bought an Xbone at launch. His internet isn't getting fixed til today. He couldn't even D/L the patch for COD let alone a full game

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
I have lost far more physical copies of games then I ever have or likely will digital ones. Either from my disc drive screwing up, losing them while moving houses or something or just carelessness. There are far more safeguards for your digital games then is practical to have for your physical ones.

Anyway, on topic, it was a nice gesture from Microsoft. At the very least it focuses on games rather than the media centers consoles seem to be becoming. I would have been annoyed if they gave out movie vouchers or something for Netflix. Well as annoyed as people giving free stuff out can make me.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Trippy Turtle said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
I have lost far more physical copies of games then I ever have or likely will digital ones. Either from my disc drive screwing up, losing them while moving houses or something or just carelessness. There are far more safeguards for your digital games then is practical to have for your physical ones.

Anyway, on topic, it was a nice gesture from Microsoft. At the very least it focuses on games rather than the media centers consoles seem to be becoming. I would have been annoyed if they gave out movie vouchers or something for Netflix. Well as annoyed as people giving free stuff out can make me.
Then learn to take care of your property, I've got every one of my games, from my first on PSX (V-Rally and Abe's Odysse) to my PS3/Xbox 360 collection. I have no issues with digital as a cheap option, it's the fact the industry wants to force it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
AldUK said:
To fill up your inbox more, I will say that I use discs still. Hell I mainly go out of my way to buy a physical copy of a game rather than a digital one.
I like to have it with me and I like the artwork and manuals. Plus I know that if it is scratched to hell or missing then it's more or else my fault because I couldn't take care of my games.
Digital is a nice thing, but for many they don't have the best internet when downloading things. Heck, until recently it would take me 26 hours just to download a single 5 GB game on Steam, now it only takes me about 4.