Microsoft Grabs Rise of the Tomb Raider in Xbox Exclusive - Update

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Even if it's just a timed exclusive, fuck Microsoft and Square Enix. Seriously.

I pre-ordered the goddamn Collector's Edition for PC last time around and consider this a nasty stab in my back.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Given all the other third-party "exclusives" that have gone on to become multi-plat, I wonder if long-term exclusivity is dependent on sales figures?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Square Enix complains about Tomb Raider "only" selling around 4 million copies.

So they make an exclusive deal with a system that has sold roughly 4-5 million period.

Yeah... this makes zero business sense.

I'm getting a whiff of the Gamecube Resident Evil exclusive deal. That didn't exactly work out for anyone.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Trishbot said:
Square Enix complains about Tomb Raider "only" selling around 4 million copies.

So they make an exclusive deal with a system that has sold roughly 4-5 million period.

Yeah... this makes zero business sense.

I'm getting a whiff of the Gamecube Resident Evil exclusive deal. That didn't exactly work out for anyone.
That's kind of amazing, when you look at the numbers like that. :D

On the plus side, RE4 has appeared on basically every platform since, so that's not a bad omen!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
most likely a timed exclusive, the previous game barely broken even accross 5 platforms, hell that game sold more copies than the total amount of xbox ones sold thus far, at worst, the game could mean a huge blow to the developer, a la ryse, at best, the game will perform well, but the publisher will still port the game, atleast to PC, to get more sales, a la dead rising 3

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
So, new Tomb Raider reboot in 2020 after this game has horrible sales, and no third Tomb Raider game will be made.

Way to screw over your Playstation fans, Squeenix.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I'm unnverved by this from a fan perspective. I've played every Tomb Raider game since 1996 on my PC. It's been there forever, this is just a slap to the face.

However, even beyond that point, there simply aren't enough Xbox One's out there to justify this. By the time this game is released, at most, there will be 6-7 million consoles out there. I honestly don't think Lara is a system seller, as big as she is, and I don't really think the Xbox One exclusivity, timed or otherwise, will help with the sales expectation Squeenix has, which we now know is bonkers.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Kmadden2004 said:
Given all the other third-party "exclusives" that have gone on to become multi-plat, I wonder if long-term exclusivity is dependent on sales figures?
yes it is

if it sells poorly like Ryse, port it to other platforms

if it sells good like Dead Rising 3... port it to other platforms

huh...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Well I guess I'll see Lara grace the 2016 Steam Summer Sale then, just like Dead Rising 3.

Nowhere Man said:
luvd1 said:
I have seen some utter bizarre and bonkers decisions that just baffles the mind in it's making. But this has to be right up there with vibrating harry potter broomstick for the under 10's.
Lmao wat?
Mattel released a HP Nimbus 2000 that kids could pretend to ride between their legs which vibrated.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
OK, seriously. Does the board at Square Enix just have a death wish?

You can't say that a game didn't sell enough despite being the bestselling in the series, and then make the sequel an exclusive for the least popular console...

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
This doesn't make me want to buy an Xbox One, it just means that I won't be purchasing the new Tomb Raider. Although, given the xbone's current history with third party exclusives I'll probably pick this up when it hits PC in 2016.

I really have to question exactly how this is the best decision. There is no way that Microsoft can pay them enough to match the sales they would get from PC and PS4, plus given the xbone is the lowest selling of the platforms the last game was on, expecting something a 60%+ attachment rate is insane.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Even if it's not a time exclusive... it's a timed exclusive. All of the so called Microsoft exclusives have been released on other systems because there just isn't enough XBox One's floating around. And the one's that are won't be definitive sales. On the other hand, it's a holiday 2015 release, so it's safe to assume there will be more in circulation by that time. I just don't think they can have a "success" with a single console release. Especially when the first one under performed. As time goes on, I have ever dying respect for Squenix.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Boy I can't wait to see Sony or someone do this with Sony and no one call them out on it.
If Sony takes a beloved childhood series that's been on PC for ages and suddenly makes it PS4 exclusive, you better believe I'll be calling them out on it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is basically the first exclusive that's ever got me. Every other announcement, sometimes there was some small disappointment, but normally I didn't care. This is a game that I really really want to have. I apology for not being sympathetic to other people in this situation

If it's not timed exclusive I don't know what to do. I want to play Naughty Dog games and I trust Sony more than Microsoft to actually make (instead of buy) good exclusives for my tastes. This might be the one thing that would make me into a PC gamer

DSD12

Feb 12, 2011
This is so dumb if a game is multiplatform it should stay a multiplatform, if a game is exclusive it should be a exclusive developers making multiplatform games into exclusives is the worst because all it does is divide the fanbase. Dead Rising 3 is perfect example of this.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
This did the opposite of make me want to buy an xbone. All it has done is make me want to not buy any Tomb Raider games from here on. That doesn't mean I won't, but I definitely won't grab it at the first chance I get like I did with the first(remade) one.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I said this in another thread and it still applies.

Let me get this strait. After selling 5 million copies (I know it has sold more now but at the time they said it it was 5) Square Enix declared the game still did not meet sales targets and now they are making the sequal an exclusive to the games console that has achived only hafe the bussiness sucsess of it's main competitor. When you also factor in the fact that Tomb Raider sold better on Playstation than Xbox it makes me ask a very simple question.

Is Square Enix run by retarded monkeys? because if it is that would explain alot.

I only hope that this will turn out to be a timed exclusive because I really enjoyed Tomb Raider and I am never going to buy an Xbone.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
They complained that Tomb Raider 2013 didn?t sell as much as they wanted, so now they?re making its sequel exclusive to the worst selling console of the generation? Even if Microsoft paid them a lot of money to make it exclusive, they still would have made more if they just kept it multiplatform.

I hope it's just a timed exclusive, even if it is it will still cost them. But I want to play it and I'm not buying an Xbox One for it.