Microsoft "Has Alienated" the U.S. Military With Xbox One

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Call me petty, but I really hope this helps to sink the Xbone in their flagship country, the US of A.

As I understand it, you chaps are very proud of your military, so hearing that 'Microsoft hates Soldiers' will no doubt do wonders for their post-E3 downward spiral.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Also, I find it funny how there are still people saying that only the people who keep up with video game news will know about the XB1's flaws. This article came from the The Navy Times and they called it "a sin against all sevice members"
I had to use a bus yesterday because our local tram line decided to close the track to work on it a few stops away from our destination. A few seats in front of us two middle aged women with kids spent the entire journey discussing saving up for a console for Xmas for their kids and how they were getting a PS4 on recommendation from various technical minded family and friends who had given them advice - they knew all about the Xbox one restrictions and were fairly appalled by it.

Anyone who thinks this hasn't entered public consciousness yet is deluding themselves.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Signa said:
The solution to the sub problem is easy. Bug your commander until he allows you to surface the sub at least once a day so you can get a satellite uplink to the internet. Don't worry about revealing your position to the enemy, they will understand and let you off the hook because they will have to do it too for their crew.
Maybe, instead of flying the traditional white flag to signal a truce, they could put up one with a little Xbone logo on it. Then while the internet is up, they could play CoD with enemy submarines; like that boxing day football match they had in no man's land during WWI.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
The Saga of the Xbone has gone from cringe-worthy, to entertaining, and has now become some sort of surreal self-parody. I think most of us are just watching with morbid fascination, like watching a bunch of lemmings walk off a cliff - except it just KEEPS GOING.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Holy shit I completely forgot about this factor. Oh god Microsoft; the fools keep on digging...

Vylox

May 3, 2013
As a US Army veteran, I happen to know a good number of active duty soldiers and veterans of all branches, and none of the service members that I know, or their friends are planning n purchasing the XBoxOne, which is a fairly hefty blow to a customer base. We are talking about millions of people who regularly buy BRAND NEW games and consoles, some who even own multiple units of both. (Yes there are a lot of soldiers who I know that own 2 or more 360s and the same number of PS3s... 1 for home, 1 for their post quarters) along with multiple copies of their games. And, I have heard, but can not as of yet confirm, that the new XBoxOne will not be available for purchase on post, as most post commanders are against the requirements that it has.

I guess MS is not interested in gamers.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Microsoft's new motto should read: Becoming more and more like Apple with each passing day!

That being said, I do think this is the way the industry as a whole is heading. Such a shame really...we keep spending more and getting less.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Will be the same for the Merchant Navy and Offshore industries as well due to you getting a limited internet allowance at best and no internet at worst.
What is sadly more hilarious is another group they are giving the finger to. How are those xbox one consoles delivered to stores? Usually by over the road truckers who can be out on the road for weeks even months at a time. There are two ways to get internet on the road, crappy wifi at truck stops or over priced hotspots through a mobile carrier that come with data limits and still aren't that great. So Microsoft is also basically alienating the people who will deliver the consoles to stores for their customers to buy.

I don't know why he thinks everyone can have a steady internet connection. Hell cell phones have been around a long time now and I still have times I can't get a steady single to save my life, and you know when it happens? Always right when you need it most or when it will irritate you the most never when you are just in a meh mood and couldn't be bothered.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
So WW3 is going to be started not over natural resources, not over religion, not over implacable xenophobia, but because a few military types get fed up with microsoft's moronic business practices and decide to nuke them.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Shit, I'm not even in the Army anymore and all this nonsense Microsoft keeps spewing is still pissing me off pretty regularly.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I thought this was already established. Nice to be confirmed, but I'm not going to say much on this. Just that it's yet ANOTHER nail in the coffin. Though, there may be too many at this point.

Vylox said:
As a US Army veteran, I happen to know a good number of active duty soldiers and veterans of all branches, and none of the service members that I know, or their friends are planning n purchasing the XBoxOne, which is a fairly hefty blow to a customer base. We are talking about millions of people who regularly buy BRAND NEW games and consoles, some who even own multiple units of both. (Yes there are a lot of soldiers who I know that own 2 or more 360s and the same number of PS3s... 1 for home, 1 for their post quarters) along with multiple copies of their games. And, I have heard, but can not as of yet confirm, that the new XBoxOne will not be available for purchase on post, as most post commanders are against the requirements that it has.

I guess MS is not interested in gamers.
Wow. If the commanders are taking a stand, that says something. I mean it could always just be that they know their men won't be able to use it, so why bother. Still, I think it says something if the commanders are taking a stand. Which I would say is out of concern for their men.

Also, as Jim said, they have declared war on all of us. There's actually something ironic about that.

I would seriously like to see some gaming sites take a similar stand. I guess they don't want to harm goodwill with Microsoft, but at this point, I wonder how much good will there is.

rob_simple said:
Call me petty, but I really hope this helps to sink the Xbone in their flagship country, the US of A.

As I understand it, you chaps are very proud of your military, so hearing that 'Microsoft hates Soldiers' will no doubt do wonders for their post-E3 downward spiral.
From what I'm hearing, it seems to be well on it's way to failing. I have spoken to several gamers and it's pretty much 7-2 against the Xbox. Those seven may not buy a PS4, though some will. And the two I know to be supporting it are pretty far down the rabbit hole.

As for the whole support of the military, yes, Americans tend to care for our troops. They do something many of us are afraid to do. It's not too much to ask to have respect for them. So, it likely wouldn't help in many people's eyes.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
Saltyk said:
Wow. If the commanders are taking a stand, that says something. I mean it could always just be that they know their men won't be able to use it, so why bother. Still, I think it says something if the commanders are taking a stand. Which I would say is out of concern for their men.
I can't speak for all base commanders, but I hunt with one though he's just Barigadier General, about once a month or so, and he's not going to allow the system on post, at all. Its partially about protecting the men and women, but also about protecting "sensitive" information. The Kinect2 is basically a high powered online and transmitting bug, and that is not good for a military installation that has tens of thousands of employees, medical information, and munitions, not to mention secrets.

If your wondering, we bagged a 360 pound boar this weekend, was a good hunt.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
"I don't have additional details to share and can't speculate on workarounds at this time," said Xbox rep Danica Stickel.
I can think of one workaround, it's called 'Buy a PS4'.
The weird thing is: Usually work arounds cost more money.....

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
MorganL4 said:
CriticalMiss said:
"I don't have additional details to share and can't speculate on workarounds at this time," said Xbox rep Danica Stickel.
I can think of one workaround, it's called 'Buy a PS4'.
The weird thing is: Usually work arounds cost more money.....
Microsoft are hoping that the PS4 has a $100 shipping fee.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
Well at least the PR team had the presence of mind not to tell the military of all people "fuck off and buy something else peasant" but throwing their hands up and going "Well uh, that sucks I guess?" isn't really much better.

It's a shame because as I understand it the xbox360 had a huge following in the military gamer base. I'm just going off of anecdotal evidence of course but it seemed like anyone I knew in the army also had an xbox of some flavor and when asked they said most of their buddies did to.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Irridium said:
It's the same with hospitals that get systems and games through charities like Child's Play. Connecting a console to the internet is the lowest possible priority in a hospital, so if kids were given the new Xbones, they wouldn't be able to play them.

Because it's an always online world and everything must be connected and fuck anyone who can't/doesn't want to be connected!
Considering that (if I'm not wrong) wireless signals are actually dangerous in hospitals, I'd say it's not so much the lowest priority as something to be actively avoided.

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
if i remember right,ps3/ps4 wont be allowed on military networks like Dod(it was called something else i can't remember)

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
StewShearer said:
Microsoft, which has previously suggested players with connectivity problems stick with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124891-Microsoft-Exec-Offline-Gamers-Should-Stick-With-Xbox-360>the Xbox 360, has expressed sympathy for service members. "There was a person who said, 'Hey, I'm on a nuclear sub.' I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub, but I've got to imagine it's not easy to get an Internet connection," said Don Mattrick, president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment division. "If I was on a sub, I'd be disappointed." Despite acknowledging the less than perfect nature of Xbox One for service members, Microsoft has yet to offer any viable solutions for the near future.
You read that as sympathy and acknowledgement of fault? Maybe I'm just a cynic or maybe that sentence fell in line with Microsoft not giving a flying fuck about anyone without a broadband connection during the rest of that speech, but does anyone else see "ohnoes, it won't work for the 12 people trying to play our console on a nuclear sub, whatever shall we do?" there?