Microsoft Has "Too Much Invested" to Let Apple Win Mobile Gaming

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Microsoft Has "Too Much Invested" to Let Apple Win Mobile Gaming

Microsoft is "very serious" about competing with Apple in the mobile gaming market.

With the release of Epic's Infinity Blade on the iOS platform today, it seems that so-called hardcore gaming has finally found its way into the App Store which has been dominated by diversions and casual games like Angry Birds. Despite Apple's prominence in the market, Kieron Connell of Microsoft Games Studios says that the company from Redmond is still attempting to hit it big in mobile games. Windows Phone 7 is a viable platform for games and will hopefully be able to compete with Microsoft's rivals.

"I think there are too many people with too much money invested to let Apple win in terms of flooding the entire market," Connell told people at the Evolve In London Conference yesterday. "You'd better believe Microsoft is very serious about Windows Phone 7, and protecting their part of the business. It's going to be an interesting time - that's for sure."

Not everyone is convinced that Microsoft is a major player in the market. Neil Young, CEO of mobile games-maker Ngmoco, said that the iOS platform leads the pack but that Google's Android operating system was picking up momentum. "[iOS] is dominant in the west," he said. "In the East, it's probably Android then some of Europe is probably up for grabs. Android has lots and lots of momentum right now but an inferior publishing model."

Young failed to mention Microsoft or Windows Phone 7 at all.

For the record, I'm not sure that saying that you've put too much money into a project for it to fail is a good thing. Windows Phone 7 could dethrone the App Store eventually, but showing desperation this early doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-12-09-microsoft-intent-on-fighting-its-corner-in-phone-market]

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Microsoft doesn't stand a chance. Even if it has a good platform for games, but it doesn't have the software, and the OS is inferior. They should save their money and give up. I think android will win in the end, but it will be a looong and even race.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I was quite impressed by my brother-in-law's Windows Phone 7. Very sleek interface, and navigation was smooth. Didn't get enough time with it to know for sure how it compares to my Xperia X10 (Android), but I'd easily choose the Microsoft phone over an iPhone.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
BenzSmoke said:
Microsoft was in the mobile gaming market?
That's what I was thinking, obviously they need to actually do some marketing so people buy this gadget which I only found out about today.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Was looking at new phones the other day, actually, and the Windows Phone 7 is actually pretty damn nice. I'm still deciding between that or the newest Android, and I can safely say there's not a chance in hell of me getting an iPhone. However I honestly didn't even know the damn thing existed until a couple days ago, so that shows just how good their marketing for it is.

EDIT- leaning towards the Droid, btw, though the semi-recent announcement that Wp7 will soon be sold in Verizon stores atleast makes me want to consider it.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
This is kinda like starting a marathon after you've given you competition a 2 hour lead. Unless the Apple racer falls over and breaks his leg, I don't think they'll be catching up.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Wasn't Microsoft serious about competing with the iTouch/iPod? Unless they seriously step up there game, this will probably fail as well. My moneys on Google and Android being Apples biggest competitor.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
They really should learn from their success in the OS market.

You lose, M$, and that's just that.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I have a WP7 phone, and I like it but they need to sort out the games section quickly ig they want to tackle the App Store. The XBox LIVE integration works really well but without some decent games they haven't got a leg to stand on. The pricing is off as well.

Give it time and I think this could play out quite well.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Windows Phone 7.

Uh huh.

What is that? I've never even heard of it.

Apparently someone in marketing hasn't done their job.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I looked at the title and was quite confused because I had no idea that Microsoft was in to mobile gaming whatsoever. I'm going to mark this up as a win for Apple.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Some what on topic, Infinity Blade is awesome.

Seriously, check it out somehow. Even if you are an iHater.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Windows has a phone? Yeah, I'm not thinking much of their chances. It doesn't matter how serious they are, they are racing to play catch-up from miles back.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
That the OS that sold 1,000 phones in the first weekend in the UK? (Or something similarly low).
Grey_Focks said:
Was looking at new phones the other day, actually, and the Windows Phone 7 is actually pretty damn nice. I'm still deciding between that or the newest Android, and I can safely say there's not a chance in hell of me getting an iPhone. However I honestly didn't even know the damn thing existed until a couple days ago, so that shows just how good their marketing for it is.

EDIT- leaning towards the Droid, btw, though the semi-recent announcement that Wp7 will soon be sold in Verizon stores atleast makes me want to consider it.
I would hold off making any high-end phone purchases for now, Google announced the Nexus S, which will ship with Gingerbread (new version of Android). That said, we are talking £550 and £35/month contracts here.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Microsoft has a way to go :/

WP7 is okay, but I wouldn't say its the best phone I've used recently, not to mention how awful thier launch games are >_<

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Doesn't hurt to have competition, I guess. Plus, it'll be fun to see Microsoft's ass get kicked and see how their PR responds to that.