Microsoft Hints at Pre-Owned Fee For Xbox One Games

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
I dont think its all that bad, depends on the price they will charge for playing a pre owned game. If its a few pounds its not that big a deal if you bought the game for £10. Although, for me, most of the games i play are rentals from Lovefilm and i only buy new games if they are something i really want.

I guess we will have to wait and see.
Full price from all accounts. That's right, full price for a pre-owned game. Wait and see if you like, I've decided unless they retract some of these "features" and put in ones we would like to see (backwards compatibility, no pre-owned pay wall, no required online, no mandatory online gaming pass to play over the internet) then I'm sure as hell not getting one. Looks like it's PS4 or PC for me, good thing I got a friend who can build me a decent PC for $1000 or so.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I have a release Wii and PS3 that see very little use. Glad to know they will be the last consoles I buy.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
I'm not totally against this if that "fee" goes to the developers of the game
lol. You are joking right?
MS might split some of the money with the publishers (especially in the case of EA, who just happened to drop their online pass plan) but none of that is really going to trickle down to the devs.

RageVG

Jul 1, 2012
If their whole fee system follows any sort of logic (And this is Microsoft, so there's no certainty that it will, although it isn't exactly unlikely), then I think this is how it will work:
The game itself will require data to be installed onto the HDD. after this mandatory install, the game can optionally be played on the account without the disc for a small fee (I'm talking £5 here, maybe less). For the sake of simplicity, we'll call this account a "disc-less account".
Each disc comes with one free "No-disc install" for the original owner. Should the disc be inserted into the console, it can be played without a "disc-less account," so my brother can still play on his account without the fee, via playing straight from the disc as I still own it.
If, for example, I bought the New CoD, I would install it on my XBOne and my account could play it without the disc at no charge. I could then purchase the ability to play without a disc on my brother's account, and take the game with me to a friend's house. He would then be able to play on the game via the disc without paying, and my brother can then play with us by launching the game without the disc from out XBOne back home. When I take the game back home, my friend can no longer play unless he chooses to also purchased the ability to play without a disc. So in reality, it just means that I'd be able to give the game to my friend at a decreased price, without having to lose the game myself.

Of course, knowing Microsoft, they'll probably charge as much as the game itself to stop people doing this, making the whole system moot as far as I'm concerned. Or possibly, the prices will be set by the devs of the game themselves.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Clovus said:
snip
I'm not sure this is the greatest attack on consumers in history or something though. Was that what Half-life 2 was? Are all Steamworks games doing this? Because when I buy a great game that just came out a couple monthts ago for $10 and then install it on multiple computers, I really don't feel like I've been attacked.
the difference is if i wanted a PC id buy a PC for 2 grand and never look back however for people who buy consoles it for the convience of not having to bother with the installs, the one time use games, and all the other rigmaroll that comes along with the PC.
what Xbone has done here is essentially made a PC and are now calling it a console, yet i cant swap graphics cards, ram, or anything else to improve its proformance and unlike PCs its not BC to older PC games which is bizarre cosidering i can play xp games on 8 and some 95 games

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
Looks like the Xbone is not going to get very far, it seems only the Cod/Battlefield dudebros will keep it afloat if at all. Still who knows, they may do a one eighty and reaveal that this a big send up and the real new console is behind a curtain or some shit.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
... Sony, you can't mess this up. The Xbox One looks like a Phillips CDi and is physically assaulting the used game market with a baseball bat. The only way Microsoft could make itself look worse is if the console was built using child labor and our river of tears.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Fappy said:
The bullet's in the chamber. Will they shoot themselves in the foot?
It's looking more like these idiots have the barrel in their mouths.

OT:This move is full dumbfuckery I have an Xbox now, but if the fee is over ten dollars I'm done with these dipshits.

Might be time to get a gaming laptop, does anyone what the good ones are?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Elijah Newton said:
Grey Carter said:
However, unlike PS3 games, once installed, Xbone games can be ran without the disc in the drive.
Oh sweet manky jeebus, please don't let this be a typo to be corrected. 'Xbone' is too terrific, just go with it. I think it's how I'm going to refer to it.

I say this as an owner of an Xbox and an Xbox 360 - based on what I'm reading I really don't think I want to get Xbone'd.
It's not a typo. That's what I'm calling it.
Thank you for this truly great contribution to society.

Forevermore I am pronouncing this console as "Ex Bone". I refer to it as such on every website I ever visit. Somehow, some way, this is going to catch on.

Oh yeah, and also this [sub]idea is horrible [sub]Microsoft how [sub]could you blah [sub]blah blah...[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
For this to make any business sense, the fee is going to have to be fairly steep. Otherwise people would just pool their money for a new copy and pass it around.

I wouldn't say this is so much an attack on pre-owned games as an attack on physical copies in general, and that Microsoft are trying to move closer to Apple's business model whereby it's most convenient to purchase everything through their App Store.

Xbone indeed!

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
This is my pitchfork. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pitchfork is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pitchfork, without me, is useless. Without my pitchfork, I am useless. I must swing my pitchfork true. I must think harder than my enemy who is trying to deceive me. I must destroy him before he deceives me. I will...My pitchfork and I know that what counts in this war is not the posts we make, the noise of our outcry, or the smoke we make in our flame threads. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...My pitchfork is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its handle and its shaft. I will keep my pitchfork clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...Before God, I swear this creed. My pitchfork and I are the defenders of my internet. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is mine and there is no enemy, but peace!

So on topic. Are you just TRYING to piss off your customers now? Not only are all these rumors and half-facts floating around, but MS is not coming out to put things straight. They could be doing it for the free press and public attention, but they don't need it. Everyone knew the "next box", "720", "xbox infinity", or whatever you called it was coming out. This marketing ploy is starting to smell of EA... I guess my faithfully 360 will serve me for quite some time still.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Dear Microsoft,

if this is true, please go eat a bag of dicks.

Sincerely, gamers.
Don't go putting words in my mouth. As much as this idea makes the new Xbox look undesirable, especially in comparison with the Playstation 4, it's not as of right now a huge screw over. Yeah, it sucks that I wont be able to lend games anymore and what not, but it basically just means that the Xbox One is just a console with computer like aspects. I'm probably not going to buy the Xbox One, but I don't see the need to throw hate at a company before all the information is given.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
bug_of_war said:
Yeah, it sucks that I wont be able to lend games anymore and what not, but it basically just means that the Xbox One is just a console with computer like aspects. I'm probably not going to buy the Xbox One, but I don't see the need to throw hate at a company before all the information is given.
What IS an issue is the fact you have to pay again if you want to play with a second account on the SAME console.

That's where the screw over is happening.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
cricket chirps said:
"The Microsoft rep did say that if the disc was used with a second account, on the same console" then they pay a fee. So if I buy a game and ANYONE else in my house wants to play they have to use my account or buy the game for themselves for their account.

Microsoft is apperantly run by f@#^*!% idiots.
I will be skiping this entire console generation apperantly. Wow who would have thought the the people to convince me to become a computer gamer would be the people selling the consoles.
I'd just like to point out the PS4 doesn't have these issues.... Neither does the WiiU if only more games were on it

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Turns out that pre-owned fee thing is false, at least if Xbox's official support Twitter is anything to go by.

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/336933801517260800]
Please make a thread and shut everyone up, i knew Microsoft wouldn't be that stupid.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Nashidar said:
What IS an issue is the fact you have to pay again if you want to play with a second account on the SAME console.

That's where the screw over is happening.
...then use the same account. I've never had that issue where I've needed a second account for someone else to use to play the same game on because most people have their own console/most games give you the option to use multiple save files on the same profile. As with split-screen multiplayer, I'm sure we'll still be able to do so without everyone paying 40 bucks. So while this isn't an attractive feature, it's not something that I find entirely off putting. I still haven't decided whether I'm getting a PS4 or an Xbone yet, and to be honest the main deciding factor is going to be the games available on each console. And right now all Sony is offering is some okay-ish games that don't really interest me/games going to be available on 360/PS3, so yeah, I'm totally on the fence right now.