Microsoft Joins The VR Race With Its Own Xbox One Headset

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
loa said:
Once people are over the novelty they'll realize how much of a pain those giant heavy goggles are so it'll probably just be another 3d bubble waiting to pop, just like in cinema.
If 300g would be "heavy", then the console market would have collapsed long ago as everyone realized how much pain it is to keep holding huge heavy controllers up while playing.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Entitled said:
loa said:
Once people are over the novelty they'll realize how much of a pain those giant heavy goggles are so it'll probably just be another 3d bubble waiting to pop, just like in cinema.
If 300g would be "heavy", then the console market would have collapsed long ago as everyone realized how much pain it is to keep holding huge heavy controllers up while playing.
So you strap your controller to your face or something?

noobiemcfoob

Mar 18, 2013
DK2 Owner here.

Speaking to the immersion of VR -> It's amazing. Even noting the poor/grainy resolution, I've never experienced anything as immersive. I would argue that more it comes from the sensory deprivation than necessarily sharing the POV with your character. If you put on good headphones and the goggles, nothing exists outside of your experience. It's this that makes me believe it could cross from enthusiasts to mainstream. It just needs the plug and play ability.

Everyone I've shown it too has been so enamored with it. While that may seem to bolster the idea it's a gimmick, those same people have come back time again to want to use it.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Will wait a few years after release to see if price tag is worth it. A reminder, the Kinect was $150 on first release. One year later $30. A year after that given away due to it's failure and software line up that sidetracked many developers from releasing better games. See Fable series.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
loa said:
So you strap your controller to your face or something?
If anything, the head is easier holding a lightweight object than a half-outstretched arm, so I'm not seeing your point. Would you rather wear a skiing goggle, or carry it around in front of yourself in two hands?

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Oh yeah, the xbone is going to give a fucking glorious 15FPS 720p VR experience... if it can manage that much.

This seems actively detrimental for the VR thing right now since it will almost certainly offer a shitty experience that will turn people off VR and slow down further development.